[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've just marathoned 70 pgs of the unbearable lightness

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 9717.jpg (41KB, 316x475px) Image search: [Google]
9717.jpg
41KB, 316x475px
I've just marathoned 70 pgs of the unbearable lightness of being

when does it become good? the eternal return is a super dope concept but I'd actually prefer it if I didn't have to come back, because then I'd to read this awful cloying shit all over again

thgouhts???
>>
bump. I feel like I've been fooled. who recommended me this schlock
>>
>>8317985
>>8318039
I would have recommended it to you, and certainly won't try to defend it since you seem to already hold a strong opinion
>>
>marathoned 70 pages
>>
Every time I see this book cover I think its the movie poster for that movie "Meet the Robinsons". They had a hat in the movie exactly like that one that could fly
>>
>>8317985
70 pages?

We read multiple books in one sitting.
A guy on here wears diapers.

Hit the bricks pal you must be this tall to ride the ride

Milan Kundrrrra fuckboy
>>
>>8318280
I'm a fickle guy and I'm easily persuaded. feel free to try. I imagined this book as some sort of bittersweet piece of candy with beautiful prose, in reality it's more like a grown-up paulo coelho telling me about his deep thoughts about eternal recurrence
>>8318305
I was hoping it had something to do with magritte. something dry, surreal and humorous
>>
>>8318396
sorry it's because of the smoking breaks
>>
>>8318397
It's indeed some thoughts about eternal recurrence, between other things. I don't think I can persuade you in any way, you either feel about what it's about or don't, as it may happen on every books.

I can tell you what I liked, but if it doesn't "speak" to you I can't really tell much more.
I liked Kundera's honest ways of dealing with reality, rather than giving even worse surrogate. I liked the developments around the notion of kitsch, which I find to be very meaningful in a lot of aspects. For me it was at last a word placed on something I didn't even knew I was feeling.
I liked what he writes about decency, shame, nudity, how it relates to love, without either falling in an idealization of love, how he gives a view of it which is cruel and complex, nonetheless absolutely central in life. The theme around the book's title pleases me (the dialectic between gravity that may be seen as a kitsch, and a lightness which deals closely with death, how it plays with an allegedly "wanted" uniqueness and density of the person and of the loved ones). I don't know where you are in your reading so I don't want to spoil anything, and the title refers to the entire book, though they are a few pages taking place on a hill which are quite blood-chilling.
All of these things are quite "conceptual" and not necessarily meaningful out of the blue, but I also loved these characters and the fact they are not here to simply illustrate statements. They are living, and these developments also live through them. It was very much reproached to Kundera to abuse meta-narrativity, I don't think this critical is relevant for this very reason. The fact he is telling me about his story doesn't render his story less living, it's rather the contrary for me. On a more personal note, his pages are amongst the most beautiful ones I ever read about love.

The hat on the cover lets you think of Magritte, but it's also related to the story.
>>
Kunderas little philosophy tid bits are so cringe worthy, desu the book is some overrated kabish, but i enjoyed it, all those affairs and lascivious talk though just gets downright tedious. It's like there was one thing on the character/authors mind.

Would not recommend this book to anyone but a girl who needs to look /lit/ and cultured.
>>
>>8317985
A douchebag I know claims this is his favorite book of all time, and uses it as an accessory to scavenge for pussy.

He claims DFW is his favorite author, and tells people to read IJ -- without having read it himself -- so when others look it up and see how many pages it is, it makes him seem like a "serious reader."

Lately he's been parading Junot Diaz's latest book as high literature.

Take that as you will.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.