[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I write like I'm stuck in a 19th C absurdist novel, but

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

I write like I'm stuck in a 19th C absurdist novel, but not the talented kind. I'm prosey, but not good enough to get away with it. I get carried away, disrespect plot and characters, become philosophical at the switch of a hat, and never finish my projects because they burn out after a few pages. I'm young, young enough not to damn myself totally, but old enough to know better by know.

How do I write better /lit/? Writing every day only seems to cement bad habits. What are the best books on writing? Who are the most modern authors with the cleanest prose? I feel like I need to declutter my mind, there are things I want to say, but I'm tripping up on the worser ways to speak them. Should I just become a Hemmingway-lite? Saying half and trying to mean double?

What books changed the way you thought about authorship?
>>
>>8317766
Find and join a writing group/workshop. It really does help. Also, practice more and go into the critique threads with every new things you write.
>>
>>8317766
>Saying half and trying to mean double

Might be good practise, but only practise. Otherwise you're almost asking to be misunderstood or not at all.

Have you tried reading/writing poetry? It might help you condense things and build atmospheres that help your meaning get across.
>>
>>8317766
Also the way you write makes me curious. I want to see some of this , even unfinished.
>>
>>8317808
I've been interested in poetry for a while, and find I have a good ear for rhythm - but have to admit I'm quite intimidated by it. I've written some basic free-verse, but know really little about the subject compared to prose.

I would especially appreciate a good guide on how to write poetry, something that lays out the basic rhythm schemes and jargon, and perhaps some poets other anons dig to help guide me. I like Larkin, always thought he would've browsed this place or /pol/.
>>
>>8317816
This is a piece I've been wrangling with over this week. I have a reasonable ending and climax in mind, but again, I feel over-ambition and a complex plot are muddying it. I'm also afraid that the tone is too classical, not real enough. What annoys me, is that there's a philosophy that I really want to communicate.

There's a few more tossed up pages if you like it, however.
>>
>>8317843
Are you the guy who posted in the Critique thread about Barnaby waking up in a hospital room?
>>
>>8317843
cringing so fucking hard right now
>>
"I would advise that imaginary young man to study the classics; let him not try to be modern, because he already is; let him not try to be a man of a different epoch, to be a classical writer, because, indubitably, he cannot be this, since he is irreparably a young man of the twentieth century."
>>
>>8317843
i really like this
>>
>>8317949
Yes, that was another re-write and one I'm still not happy with.

I think I'm going to take a week off from writing, and just read and think. I feel like there are many things I want to communicate, but I'm not taking the time to properly and lucidly form them.
>>
>>8317827
Stephen Fry's "The Ode Less Travelled" is something I've been meaning to read; it seems to be almost a poetry textbook.

Also you may be interested in Colridge's "Biographia Literaria".

As for poets, I enjoyed what Coleridge I've read. At the moment I'm reading Mallarme, Rimbaud, Baudelaire, MacNiece, and Auden. Oh and I read Gaudete by Ted Hughes - his style is unique and fantastically vivid.
>>
>>8319094
Cool. Just keep in mind my other critique then. Good luck.
>>
>>8321121
Thank you anon, I will. Currently reading Across the River and Into the Sea for some small guidance.

>>8320120
Thank you also, I'll order the Fry (I'm rather fond of him, just as a person) and check out some of those poets.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.