[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can I get some modern short story recommendations? I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 1364193641626.gif (2MB, 341x321px) Image search: [Google]
1364193641626.gif
2MB, 341x321px
Can I get some modern short story recommendations? I've been reading Lydia Davis' Collected Stories, Raymond Carver's Cathedral, and Adam Johnson's Fortune Smiles. all good stuff. Anyone have any good experience with those The Best American Short story Collections of 20XX? of course they dont have to be American only.
>>
In my experience, the TBASS collections are kind of a mixed bag. Some of the stories are good, some are shit.

Ray Bradbury has dozens of short story collections, though I don't know how modern you're looking for. My personal favorite from him is The October Country.
>>
Harold Brodkey, John Cheever, William Trevor, Alice Munro, Flannery O'Connor (dunno if too old, but she's still too great to ignore)
>>
>>8317362
I think I have this huge collection of Trevor's stories lying around. I'll take a look at it. I enjoyed one of O'Connor's stories a while back. The Geranium. for the longest time I confused her with Shirley Jackson which I also read frm time to time.
>>
>>8317206
Subscribe to a magazine. Then you get a constant stream of new high quality short stories.
>>
File: BreecePancake.jpg (53KB, 800x1155px) Image search: [Google]
BreecePancake.jpg
53KB, 800x1155px
the greatest man ever to bless the atlantic
>>
>>8317562
This.

Also, George Saunders, Donald Barthelme, Lorrie Moore, Karen Russell, Denis Johnson. I like TBASS. Protip: if you like the guest editor, you'll prob like the collection, because they choose all the stories.
>>
>>8317562
Overrated
>>
Seconding Alice Munro
>>
I liked Amelia Grays Gutshot, and Lucia Berlin's A Manual for Cleaning Women has some wonderfully powerful stories.
>>
Pick up Tenth of December by George Saunders.
>>
Don't know if you're into SF, but I really like a few of Gibson's early short stories, New Rose Hotel and Burning Chrome.
>>
I've been reading Pastoralia by George Saunders, and while it's alright, I dont get what the hype is all about. every day some Anon mentions him but from what I can see from Pastoralia, he aint that great. Maybe his other collections are good?

Murakami has a couple of good ones.
>>
>>8319952
Read all his stuff. Pastoralia isn't my favorite collection of his, though "Sea Oak" and "The Barber's Unhappiness" are among his top ten stories IMO...maybe. All of his collections have many more strong stories than weak stories, and his strong stories have that rare ability to stick with you forever. The degree to which this guy can create characters so likable and relatable despite inhabiting these often dismal and unrecognizable worlds, and all the while maintain his instantly recognizable voice and make you both laugh out loud and tear up in the span of reading one sentence... Saunders is a powerhouse, man. IM humble O, possibly one of the best living American writers.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.