[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is Moby Dick considered the 'Great American Novel'?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: moby dick.jpg (218KB, 900x603px) Image search: [Google]
moby dick.jpg
218KB, 900x603px
Why is Moby Dick considered the 'Great American Novel'?
I agree it is the best book written by an American, but very little in the book has anything to do with America, or being an American. If anything it should be called the 'Great Oceanic Novel'.
And what makes a book a 'Great (Insert Nation) Novel'? Is it the greatest book to be written by someone who lives there, or is it a book that encapsulates the 'spirit' of the place?

I think Moby Dick is the best book to come out of America, and one of the best written books in general, but I don't think it's the great american novel. Maybe Faulkner, Whitman, or Steinbeck. But Faulkner only writes about the south, Whitman only writes about gays, and Steinbeck only writes about grapes.
>>
The Great National Novel seems like a purely USonian meme. Everyone else seems content with just having a national epic.
>>
>>8316038
It's the same kidn of thing, really.
>>
>>8316038
Yeah, I think it's because the USA is too new to have a national epic, so they have to settle for a Great Novel. Although I suppose the colonists might have produced a national epic if they hadn't been such assholes to the native population.
>>
File: 087-087-brother-joseph-full.jpg (907KB, 1632x2200px) Image search: [Google]
087-087-brother-joseph-full.jpg
907KB, 1632x2200px
>very little in the book has anything to do with America

What? The most central and integral theme in the book is pursuing an impossible goal, led by a protagonist (Ahab) who has an insatiable work ethic which is deeply rooted in American history. Sure, the Protestant work ethic isn't inherently American, but America revolutionized that work ethic.

American history is little more than a set of Ahabian struggles: a poor, starving group of Puritans managing to survive harsh winters and living conditions, a set of colonies rebelling against the world's largest empire, becoming a world superpower and leading the world's culture and economy in 200 quick years, etc.
>>
>>8316008
>but very little in the book has anything to do with America

an aging white man with a biblical leads an enthusiastic multi-cultural crew on a mad quest to defy and defeat nature but instead he leads them straight into death and oblivion

what could be more American than that?
>>
>>8316317
*with a biblical name
>>
>>8316309
Plus the crew are a mixture of dudes jammed together and making their way without caring much about each other's family or social background.
>>
So where does the whole circlejerk thing fit into the American experience?

>>8316038
It's the same thing, bro. Cave paintings and oral traditions lead to epic songs which lead to epic poetry which lead to epic literature which lead to novels.

No one writes epic poetry any more. Get with the times gramps.
>>
>>8316038
That's why you're country sucks and America is the only global superpower; you don't strive for artistic perfection. Barbarians all of you.
>>
>>8316317
>enthusiastic

Except for Starbuck, he was a massive pussy
>>
File: garnery_sperm_whale.jpg (56KB, 640x444px) Image search: [Google]
garnery_sperm_whale.jpg
56KB, 640x444px
>>8316008
The Pequod and it's journey is a metaphor for Amurrica. It's as Amurrican a story can be - though I think the ending should be rewritten with a giant eagle swooping in on Moby Dick, killing him, and Ahab making a hat from Moby Dick's dick.
>>
>>8316008
Bravo OP, you fucking genious, for confusing a theoretical problem with a geographic one.
>>
The Pequod is a microcosm of American society. The officers and captain are slavedriving Anglos, the crew generally consists of the wayward dregs from the remote corners of Europe. They also make a point of shaming, outdoing, and mocking every foreign whaling vessel they come into contact with.
>>
>>8316472

Also, the racial tension on board the ship, the way the crew is exploited financially by 'lays', the lottery-esque false promises of capitalism symbolized by the doubloon (which ends up going to Ahab), and the utilization of servile savage muscle signified by the harpooners are all keen social observations of American society.
>>
>>8316535
No shit. Dagoo said he sighted the white whale in the same instant as Ahab, but Ahab said; "fuck you nigger, the doubloon was destined for ME!"
>>
>>8316757
he said it the way it had to be said. also, he's probably contributed top this board more than you have. stop being a fucking sperglord.
>>
>>8316767

thank you sir.

Also Tashtego spotted it not Daggoo.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.