[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>only that which exists exists, things that do not exist DO

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 21-14-31-Parmenides.jpg (20KB, 283x370px) Image search: [Google]
21-14-31-Parmenides.jpg
20KB, 283x370px
>only that which exists exists, things that do not exist DO NOT EXIST, guys, okay!?
What was his problem
>>
Perhaps you just don't understand what he meant and just what the implications of that statement actually are.
>>
>there's no such thing as nothing
yeah right. why do we have a word for it then?
>>
>>8310944
>if there is a word for it, it exists
>>
2 + 2 is trivial so we should never bring it up.
>>
>>8309195
How can something exist? What does existing mean? Does myself from 1 minute ago exist?
>>
>>8310988
No but why did he have to write an autistic poem about it
>>
>>8309195
I'm going to get accused of STEMprimacy for saying this but Euclid was a philosophically more important thinker than any part of the socratic trinity (to which parmenides is a minor extension). The vast span of time between Socrates and (Kant or Russell/Frege/Whitehead depending on your inclination) was certainly fruitful but it wasn't until we accepted the truth of analysis into our hearts (something I'll argue Euclid was among the first to do while it took the Russell-Godel thing to really engrain into philosophy) that we truly could make meaningful.

His problem was a failure to systemize and axiomatize, as was the case for most the greeks most of the time (although there are some truly admirable exceptions). Well constructed sentences, compelling colloquial argument, were prefered to more demonstrable, mechanical systems. The most vast gulfs of Greek thought are almost trivially treated with even hints of formalism.
>>
>>8311002
>Does myself from 1 minute ago exist?
With enough philosophy books, someday you may be able to have a (very personal) answer to this
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.