[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm enjoying this book enormously, but I just reached part

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (31KB, 220x329px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31KB, 220x329px
I'm enjoying this book enormously, but I just reached part 2 and I feel like I need, like, a week to settle then return with rejuvinated enthusiasm. (I mean, even though I'm loving this book, it's incredibly dense on just a paragraph-to-paragraph level)

I'm feeling a little guilty, like I shouldn't stop or I'll be commiting some vague, literary sin.

Anyone else need to sometimes put the Big Novels down for a short period just to "recharge", so to speak?
>>
>>8307464
It varies from book to book. I took a couple of breaks from GR and Mason & Dixon but I read Ulysses pretty much in one shot.
>>
>>8307464
>Anyone else need to sometimes put the Big Novels down for a short period just to "recharge", so to speak?
no
>>
>>8307471
Thanks, I read GR almost a decade ago and I remember reading that book in the weirdest way possible. It took me a few months, and I'd be rereading certain chapters over-and-over like the Major Marvy chases, Franz Pokler, Lyle Bland and the masonic pinball whatever, Byron the Bulb, until I finally finished. (I was 19 and pretty much smoking pot all the time, which, to be honest, kinda helped...)

And I actually thought about M&D in relation to Ulysses, because M&D has many, relatively short chapters, while Ulysses has a handful of very long episodes, and I kinda read it "in one shot", too.
>>
>>8307506
really? or are you just being an asshole?
>>
Not really; I can mostly tackle a well-written doorstopper in one go. In fact, that's helped me immensely to finish them. I usually only read that book at the time (how I finished GR, War and Peace, Moby-Dick [if Moby-Dick counts]) Honestly genre fiction is what I have the most trouble finishing and the need to take a break.

I will say however that I don't think I've ever done two doorstoppers back-to-back. I have had false starts because of this. I can do books that are equally challengingly written but not two books that are over 600 pages. I have to take a break in-between and go for something smaller.
>>
>>8307543
It's weird sometimes. It took me three weeks to read Carpenter's Gothic and 13 days to read J R which is 3 times longer and a fair bit more convoluted.
>>
>>8307543
Thanks for actually giving an answer. I'll probably continue reading, but at a slower pace. I read latitudes and departures pretty quick, and it's not like I don't have other things to do.
>>
>>8307471
Same here, though in the case of M&D it was because I didn't want for it to end
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.