[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I spent 3 years writing a book, and made the foolish mistake

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: 1296070151399.png (9KB, 344x341px) Image search: [Google]
1296070151399.png
9KB, 344x341px
So I spent 3 years writing a book, and made the foolish mistake of buying into the Amazon self-publishing hype. The epub market is absolutely saturated and to date(after a year) I've made less than 30 sales. Is it too late to try the traditional route? Now that my book has more or less been "published" is it poison to traditional publishers and agents?
>>
tl;dr
>>
>>8306112
Does self-publishing a work forever prevent you from getting the work legitimately published?
>>
>>8306115
tl;dr
>>
>>8306111
Did you do any marketing?
>>
>>8306111
Try contacting a traditional publisher.
>>
>>8306133
this
>I uploaded a file to the internet and was surprised when it got no downloads
>no I didn't post it anywhere
>>
>>8306133
No. I absolutely suck at marketing.

>>8306134
Most publishers want first time publishing rights. Will self-publishing affect this?
>>
>>8306138
>No. I absolutely suck at marketing.

Then why did you ever think this route would work?
>>
>>8306140
At the time I was writing the book, self-publishing hadn't caught fire. It was a relatively new market flooded with low-quality, low-effort work, and I saw it as an opportunity. Unfortunately, hundreds of thousands of authors had the same thought at the the same time.
>>
>>8306111

30 sales that's bretty gud desu
>>
Post it here, senpai.
>>
>>8306138
>My book sold poorly because I absolutely suck at marketing.
/thread
>>
The publishing world isn't much easier. They still expect you to do just of the marketing, it's not like you just get published and end up on the aisle table at B&N. Unless your book is one of the 1℅, you have to be the driving force behind your book. If it does become successful, you lose your rights for life. While the self publishing world is over saturated, there book industry as whole is just as bad. It takes time and a lot of work but if your book is good and you put in the effort, it can sell no matter how many books are out there.
>>
Write another book, self-publish and actually fucking hype it. Then maybe, if it's not shit, you'll get sales for it and then more as people shop from your back catalog.
>>
>>8306279
This. Keep writing and learn to market it. If it is good, it will still but people have to know it is there.
>>
It's not Upriver Downriver is it?
>>
>>8306277
>If it does become successful, you lose your rights for life.
How do you mean?
>>
>>8306111
Yup. No one will publish a self-"""published""" book, especially one that didn't sell.
>>
make a torrent of the book and we will spread it ( if it is any good that is)
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.