[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best book for the current interpretation of the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

What's the best book for the current interpretation of the Arthurian romance?

I know the basis of pretty much everything is the Historia Regum Britanniae, but I also understand the modern legend is quite different from it (ie Morgan Le Fay being just some sorceress instead of Arthur's sister and one of the main antagonists, who seduces and fucks Merlin, not to mention no Lancelot).

Is Le Morte d'Arthur the place to go? Or is there a superior resource?
>>
>>8304745
well, for a great "current interpretation" I'd go current enough to include films and rec John Boorman's Excalibur. It's pretty excellent.
>>
>>8304745
Current? The Once and Future King.
>>
>>8304795
I've watched it, and man, I love it.

Loved it ever since I was a kid, even though I wasn't supposed to watch it when I was a kid.

I have to say that, shamefully, I got the idea for Le Morte d'Arthur in the wikipedia article for Excalibur.

>>8304799
Thanks.

It appears to be heavily based in Le Morte d'Arthur too though:
>Many modern Arthurian writers have used Malory as their principal source, including T. H. White in his popular The Once and Future King and Tennyson in The Idylls of the King.

Is it a superior source for Le Morte d'Arthur? Or just a modernization?
>>
>>8304808
Well, what do you mean by current? Malory's is over a half a millennium old.

If what you're asking for is a definitive original source for Arthurian stories, there isn't a single one, or a single definitive version of many of them. Le Morte d'Arthur is what writers tend to base their knowledge on. But you can read lots of different versions of the same stories, in the Mabinogion, in Troyes, the History of the Kings of Britain, etc.

Personally, I've liked Malory the most, then Mabinogion. Kings of Britain is alright if you skip around the boring parts (and there are many, like endless fucking prophecies).
>>
That thing Steinbeck wrote is definitely total shit because it has a foreword by Christopher Paolini
>>
>>8304822
By current, I mean, well, that. What we know regard as the canonical version, which for example differs a bunch from the Historia Regum Britanniae.

>I've liked Malory the most, then Mabinogion. Kings of Britain is alright if you skip around the boring parts (and there are many, like endless fucking prophecies).
So I should read Le Morte d'Arthur over/before The Once and Future King?

And thanks for the Mabinogion recommendation.
>>
File: 1444878138781.jpg (40KB, 604x453px)
1444878138781.jpg
40KB, 604x453px
I want to read Le Morte d'Arthur because I ain't no pleb.

Can anyone recommend a nice edition?

Apparently publishers have different people edit the thing to be more or less close to what Malroy actually wrote and what was then published by Caxton
Also quality annotations are always nice
>>
>>8304842
I would say read the once and future king first. then go to le morte. that's what I did. I liked the once and future king more, but le morte expands on all of it. OAFK is just a really absurd blackly hilarious tragic story. the fucking unicorn!
>>
>>8304847
Norton Critical if you're willing to read the original/not modernized version.

>>8304842
I would go with The Once and Future King, since I assume your ultimate purpose is familiarity and enjoyment with Arthurian stuff.
>>
>>8304854
>>8304865
Thanks. I'll read The Once and Future King first, then.

Is HarperCollins alright? I found it, and it comes with the Merlin book too.

>>8304847
I downloaded a torrent with both the Oxford and Penguin ones, and the Oxford one looks better, but I wouldn't know, and it looks like >>8304865 does, so I'm off to find the Norton Critical too while I'm at it.
>>
File: HCS5776-1.jpg (137KB, 600x889px) Image search: [Google]
HCS5776-1.jpg
137KB, 600x889px
somewhat off-topic, but has anyone read this?

I read it in the seventh grade and thought it was the total bee's-knees. But I was like eleven at the time. It was in my school's library but I remember there was a line about young Arthur, that "he had just lain with his first woman and was full of boasts" so it wasn't totally for kids, was it?

I remember a lot of themes dealing with the transition of Britain from pagan to christian and the effects of Romanization.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.