[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I become "well-read"? I'm new to literature

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
How do I become "well-read"? I'm new to literature and have never picked up a book since uni.
>>
how 'well read' do you want to be?

do you know what kinds of books you like?
>>
Go to your local library and look for interesting reads, discover your tastes, what you like and such, from then on you'll know what books you want to read.

If you mean 'well-read' as in being a smartboi then go look up the list of books in the Western Canon or something lol
>>
>>8303722
dont care about being well-read, just read what you find interesting and look for similar authors
>>
>>8303740
>>8303741
Yeah I want to be a smartboi like the average users on /lit/. Is there a list of books here? What is the western canon?
>>
>>8303745
Here's your first lesson: Use the website Google.com to answer simple questions, such as "What is..."
>>
>>8303779
Nah I'm good thanks senpai u should explain it me you pussy faggot
>>
>>8303781
:^D http://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+is+the+Western+Canon%3F
>>
>>8303781
>inb4 start with the greeks
here's the fun part of western fiction:
William Shakespeare
Jane Austen
Brontë Sisters
H.P. Lovecraft
Nathaniel Hawthorne
Edgar Allen Poe

Read some of their stuff and come back
>>
File: 1393723743946.jpg (13KB, 213x270px) Image search: [Google]
1393723743946.jpg
13KB, 213x270px
>>8303791
>>
Start with the Greeks, it's more than a meme.
>>
>>8303745
>smartboi
>the average users on /lit/

pick one
>>
>>8303792
implying
>>
>>8303722
I'll tell you but only if everyone in this thread agrees to let 'smartboi' become a term.
>>
>>8303962
Ok, smartboi
>>
>>8303722
You start with the greeks

Then:
You start reading a lot of good literary fiction and philosophy, you use your brain to come up with an analysis of each book. You obviously fail in reaching the deeper meaning of said book when you start to research the book online from reliable and intelligent sources such as professional essays. You reevaluate the book based on said research and use that experience for tackling other books. After having read many books to the point of being able to compare several pieces of similar literature to each other, you work in your mind what the significance of a certain idea is comparing and contrasting each piece of literature in a group. like a web of books.

Rinse and repeat until you die.

This is how you become "well-read" and smarter in subject of literature, but you need passion for it because it's seriously a very long and sometimes monotonous road.
>>
>>8303979
seconded for reading essays

people reach retarded conclusions when they are new
>>
Jest, Infinite.
>>
File: One kek man.jpg (20KB, 292x326px) Image search: [Google]
One kek man.jpg
20KB, 292x326px
>>8303791
>William Shakespeare
>Fun
Good one anon.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.