[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

To what extent can you say you're inspired by an author

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: 1468905646114.png (566KB, 959x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1468905646114.png
566KB, 959x1000px
To what extent can you say you're inspired by an author before it becomes plagiarism?
>>
I wonder if /lit/ has read Higurashi.
>>
>>8300115
I've read Higurashi. Umineko is better.

Please answer my question.
>>
to the point you stop getting away with it. Live big, anon
>>
If anyone recognizes it, you've passed that point.

For instance...
>>
Copying a text word by word and saying it is your original idea is plagiarism.

Taking and idea from an author and applying it to your work in a distinctive and personal manner while at the same time making evident who was your inspiration, is not.
>>
File: Rika umbrella.png (2MB, 1186x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Rika umbrella.png
2MB, 1186x1600px
>>8300122
Well the quote ''Good Artists Copy; Great Artists Steal'' comes to mind. It only become plagiarism if there is nothing new introduced. Copying a product will only go so far, whereas if you steal a concept and build on it, it no longer become plagiarism but its own thing.

Just as Higurashi copied many of its concept from some horror VN who's name I can't remember, and Umineko copied Ten Little Niggers mixed with Forest.

Someone else would likely tell you that the art of being inspired is hiding who inspired you and what you copied from them. There's the well known story of Hunter S. Thompson who copied the great gatsby so that he could know how to write like a great author before he got his own voice.
>>
True patricians will intentionally plagiarize other people's works and then say they were trying to make an artistic statement with that plagiarism
>>
>>8300139
It lacks a statement and vision then.
A person who plagiarizes without knowing what values and themes the original person set to establish will be lost in the plagiarizing. This is why societies does not value copies as much as their originals. You can value the skill and style it was copied, but not the art itself.
>>
>>8300145
>A person who plagiarizes without knowing what values and themes the original person set to establish will be lost in the plagiarizing.
what do you think 'artistic statement with that plagiarism' means ya dummy.
>>
>>8300137
Is Forest good?
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.