[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /lit/. I'm a 18yo that failed out of high school,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 489956.jpg (3MB, 2824x4018px) Image search: [Google]
489956.jpg
3MB, 2824x4018px
Hello /lit/. I'm a 18yo that failed out of high school, I'll be retaking my exams next year. I always found writing to be a daunting task, but how do I improve and get good at it? Are there any textbooks?
>>
Your writing is shit because you don't read.
If you want to write read classics.
Otherwise it'll be shit.
Start with the Greeks.
>>
>>8296534
This is good advice. And Aristotle even has a bunch of guides on writing and that.
>>
>>8296534
>>8296541
What about stuff like writing descriptive, narrative compositions and commenting on writers style etc?
>>
>>8296557
It'll come to you through reading and practice.
>>
>>8296557
Don't get ahead of yourself bro. I did the equivalent of AP editorial writing or w/e and I just got given more stuff to read and articles on writing. I'm going to assume discourse analysis is too advanced for you.

Any book I ever looked at on how to read or write this or that typically takes a hell of a lot from Aristotle. Then move on to how to write an essay" or w/e.

Don't take too long (but it shouldn't take too long if you organise yourself and sit down and do it)
>>
>>8296534
>>8296541
>>8296570
>>8296571
Thanks anons.
>>
>>8296534
Will reading the Greeks in English be a significant help?
I too came here to improve my English, but I figured that if I'm reading translations, I might as well read them in my native language and read English books to improve my English.
I've been reading Greeks for over half a year now with no end in sight though.
>>
>>8296947
http://sonic.net/~rteeter/grtbloom.html

Read this. It should take you around 2 years, and you will have a better education than 95% of others
>>
>>8296368
Here's your coveted "advice" that you keep asking people about all the time to create some "im doing something" placeholder... If you need to ask how you'll be a good writer: don't bother. Same thing goes with painter, composer, philosopher, chess player, mathematician etc.
If you were not promising at it when you were a kid, don't bother. Give up. I say this not out of spite or some twisted desire to ruin things, but from a position of knowledge. There are depths you will never understand if you did not feel passion for it since childhood.

No, "reading the classics" won't make you good at it, kind of like people never learn to move a limb properly, much less dexterously, unless they did it with the limb growing alongside them and for years upon years. To be a good writer or painter demands from you the same level of sensitivity and feeling of urgency towards the craft. If you didn't feel like you might throw up if you were not allowed to do it or think of it, as a child, don't bother. Read your books and do whatever, but mainly do something else.
>>
You're 18. Literally nothing you have to say is important. People in their 20s are astronomically dumb due to lack of experience. I was also being honest. Probably still am.
>>
>>8298769
What if OP finds a passion for writing? You do realize that people that grew up in underprivileged families might not have the opportunity to learn when they were a kid.

OP, write everyday. About anything. That's all the advice I'm going to give you.
>>
>>8296541
whats it called?
>>
>>8299428

Not true, I was born working class and I read Dickens at ten.
>>
>>8299613
I'm OP, I read the entire Harry Potter series when I was in the first or second grade, does that count?
>>
File: juststop.jpg (8KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
juststop.jpg
8KB, 200x200px
>>8298769
>If you need to ask how you'll be a good writer: don't bother.
>There are depths you will never understand if you did not feel passion for it since childhood.
>urgency towards the craft
>If you didn't feel like you might throw up if you were not allowed to do it or think of it, as a child, don't bother.

Man this shit is so cringy, I really hope you are baiting.
>>
>>8300038
>HP7 came out in '07
>read it in 1st grade
you severely underaged mane
>>
>>8300151
Well, I read part of the entire series. Sigh I might've just read the entire series during elementary school, I don't know, maybe the last part during middle school?
>>
>>8300138
I wish i were baiting too, you sorry faggot, but that's how the brain works.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.