[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

As someone who's already read Bartleby, Typee, Benito, Billy,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: melvillecollage.jpg (2MB, 5120x2880px) Image search: [Google]
melvillecollage.jpg
2MB, 5120x2880px
As someone who's already read Bartleby, Typee, Benito, Billy, Moby, Mardi and I've got The Confidence-Man queued up, I'm wondering: are all of Melville's works (at least, the ones I haven't read yet) worth the time? I read Typee as a youth because my english teacher told me I'd enjoy it saying, "you'll like where it will take you." I've heard Omoo is basically a rehash of the first, and that Redburn and White-Jacket—while being more mature works—aren't on the same level as even Mardi or his novellas.

How did you get into Melville? Did you stop at Moby Dick or keep going? Bartleby, Benito or Billy: which is your favourite?
>>
>>8296282
I got into him with Moby Dick, and stopped after that, though Moby Dick was amazing. Is some of his other work on the same level?
>>
>>8296282
I kept going. So far, I've read Moby-Dick, Pierre, Clarel, The Confidence-Man, and Bartleby. His prose is god-tier and his stories like Pierre and The Confidence-Man have an experimental and modernist feel to them. Moby-Dick is still his best, even though Pierre comes close—funny, tragic, weird as fuck.

Don't force yourself through his oeuvre, but at least give it a chance. The Confidence-Man is great; Melville is in complete control and really fucks with you.
>>
File: garnery_sperm_whale.jpg (56KB, 640x444px) Image search: [Google]
garnery_sperm_whale.jpg
56KB, 640x444px
I've read Moby Dick and Bartleby. I thought Bartleby was really good, but not "amazing." Moby Dick is by far my favorite book.
>>
I never knew Melville for anything other than Moby Dick. Are the rest of his works good? What about his poetry?
>>
>>8298118
I've read Billy Budd. It was great. He's got nice insight when it comes to the mind of a psycho and he's got some comments on civilisation and barbarism.
>>
File: 809232232.jpg (206KB, 1266x1031px) Image search: [Google]
809232232.jpg
206KB, 1266x1031px
>>8298118
I really like his poetry, but most of the time it's not half as poetic as his prose.

"In placid hours well-pleased we dream
Of many a brave unbodied scheme.
But form to lend, pulsed life create,
What unlike things must meet and mate:
A flame to melt—a wind to freeze;
Sad patience—joyous energies;
Humility—yet pride and scorn;
Instinct and study; love and hate;
Audacity—reverence. These must mate,
And fuse with Jacob’s mystic heart,
To wrestle with the angel—Art."
>>
Pierre
>>
>>8296282
As a Law Student I really enjoy Billy Budd. A great little scenario showing a conflict of law and morals, Vere is a great character also.
Bartleby reminds me of a lighthearted Kafka, in a good way.
Moby Dick is incredible in every way possible.

Haven't read anything else, but I definitely should.
>>
Read Bartleby, Billy Bid, and Benito for school and Moby Dick on my own. The Confidence Man sounds good, but I wouldn't push it beyond that. His other novels are never spoken of outside of circles who want to be seen as Melville enthusiasts and I think there might be a reason for that. I'd say just hit the highlights.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.