[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How important is learning Ancient Greek and Latin if I want to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: ancient-greek-inscription.jpg (1MB, 3616x2048px) Image search: [Google]
ancient-greek-inscription.jpg
1MB, 3616x2048px
How important is learning Ancient Greek and Latin if I want to train my poetry?
Is there something better I could devote my time to?
How many important poets knew them?
>>
>>8267340
>train my poetry

Maybe learn English first.
>>
Best way to train your poetry is to fill a glass with ice cubes, pour lots of salt in it then add vinegar.

Drink this potion every day for a month and you will be the greatest poet since Homer.
>>
>>8267352
nice one bro
>>
Do all the "training" you want

If you aren't writing and developing your voice and finding experiences and epiphanies, it'll still be shit
>>
>>8267352
Nothing wrong with it you boring grammar nazi
https://www.britannica.com/art/poetic-license
>>
>>8267357
this desu, Herodotus wrote that this is exactly what Homer did
>>
>>8267360
The reverse is also true. You can have the most sensitive and wise soul to ever exist, if you don't work on your skill the way a painter or musician has to nobody will ever take you seriously.
>>
Chances are you are you are not intelligent, interesting, gifted, experienced, etc. enough, or don't have the means to devote a life to learning the art of poetry. Chances are your some middle class kid who will have to work for a living and cannot hold up in your castle with personal tutors pouring over books for 12+ hours a day all your life. Also, you are living in a degenerate time (and, most likely, place), where what passes for art or culture is just actually garbage. Thus you are disconnected from your civilizations classical roots because of centuries of cultural sabotage. You should content yourself with just being an enthusiast and an armature. Read the poets that appeal to you and learn composition from some book, or take some classes, idk.
>>
File: dwarflarkspur.png (442KB, 436x968px) Image search: [Google]
dwarflarkspur.png
442KB, 436x968px
>How important is learning Ancient Greek and Latin if I want to train my poetry?
Not very
>Is there something better I could devote my time to?
Reading poetry
>How many important poets knew them?
Plenty knew at least a semblance of either greek latin or both but it doesn't matter, they would've been important even if they hadn't. It's not the 16th century anymore.
>>
>>8267403
you're
>>
>>8267340

If you can't figure out the answer to this question on your own, you can't fucking figure out Greek and Latin on your own. Jesus dude. Check your aspirations.
>>
>>8267365
really? kek where tf did people get ice cubes back in the day?
>>
>>8268840
ancient greek secret
>>
>>8268840
From the Hyperboreans. They even instituted a common market with no tariffs for that shit.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.