[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't know what /lit/ thinks of this book, but why do

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: bloodmeridian.jpg (30KB, 229x350px) Image search: [Google]
bloodmeridian.jpg
30KB, 229x350px
I don't know what /lit/ thinks of this book, but why do I keep seeing it on lists alongside Ulysses and Sound & Fury as one of the hardest books ever? i'm by no means a skilled reader but I'm about half way through and I think it reads very easy.

is it because it's boring? people die in literally every chapter and the dialogue is very quick and easy to follow. granted, the violence gets repetitive, but there's a ton of action.

is it because of the lack of proper punctuation and the way dialogue is just sort of thrown at you? I practically don't even notice it, whereas in books like Absalom, Absalom and The Portrait of a Young Man you go like 4 pages without a new paragraph

is it because of the spanish parts? I just read the Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, which is rarely considered a hard book to read, and there were Spanish words and phrases literally on every page. I've figured out every spanish word through context clues and everything else is entry level "Mi casa" stuff

is it because of the long descriptions? because they are absolute cake compared to shit people read in high school like Nathaniel Hawthorne

I'm enjoying the book thus far though it's not perfect, but I haven't been stumped or confused like I have with plenty of other of the "hard" books. do any of you guys find it challenging?
>>
>>8216756
>why do I keep seeing it on lists alongside Ulysses and Sound & Fury as one of the hardest books ever?

You don't. You are making this up.
>>
It's hard in the sense that its awful prose is unpleasant to read.

Also >>8216781
>>
>>8216756
this is obvious bait.

also
>people die in literally every chapter and the dialogue is very quick and easy to follow. granted, the violence gets repetitive, but there's a ton of action
what.
the "gratuitous violence" is a meme.
it's actually pretty sparse
>>
>making threads about corncobby chronicles

tortillafaggots pls go
>>
>>8216810
Literally every chapter he describes someone's head being blown off or finding a kid's body with a buzzard poking out his organs. I get that people don't like the book but you cant say it's not filled with gore
>>
>>8216781
>>8216797

http://flavorwire.com/423424/50-incredibly-tough-books-for-extreme-readers/view-all/

https://www.buzzfeed.com/louispeitzman/the-25-most-challenging-books-you-will-ever-read

I know buzzfeed isn't a prominent literary community, but this is the shit I see on my facebook feed and I wonder how anyone who's read all of those books can consider Blood Meridian in the same league.
>>
>>8216756
Ye...?
>>
>>8217121

People who read Buzzfeed are retards though, McCarthy's a pretty easy read at least stylistically. It's not like Pynchon where he puts a modifier at the end of a clause, gives you a wordy description of something (and another in these parantheses with its own complex sentences) then picks up from the modifier at the end of the page then switches perspectives without any obvious delineation. I actually like Pynch's writing though, don't get me wrong. McCarthy's rigor lies solely in his vocabulary.
>>
>>8217179
yeah but am I naive for thinking the creators of those lists read everything on them? because they have all of the books that are actually considered challenging
>>
corncob

tortillas

yecarthy
>>
>>8216756
it's cause it's good like those books, not cause it's challenging like those books
>>
>>8217139

>"mayhap yon bandana be wound overtightly upon thy brow"

lel
>>
>>8216756
Why do people sperg about this book? Just move on.
>>
>>8217375
>Just ride on

Fixed that for ye.
>>
>>8217354
There's a fucking tortilla recipe in the thing too.
>>
>>8217338

They just skimmed the wikipedia articles.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.