[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

reminder that if you unironically and immediately ridicule or

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

reminder that if you unironically and immediately ridicule or think less of a person because of how they pronounce an author's name, you're a phony pseud
>>
i will say prowst instead of proost until the day i die

i know french, i don't care, it's still wrong
>>
>>8215866
mad monoglot american detected
>>
>>8215866

>buttblasted american detected

Did someone snicker at your 'Camoo' references? Or was it Showpenhauer, Ni-Chii, Haygel or Flawbert?
>>
>>8215891
>Camoo
>Showpenhauer, Ni-Chii, Haygel or Flawbert

those are all correct except for nietzsche
>>
>>8215881
I love how pretentious fuckheads will go out of their way to pronounce French authors' names in the French style.

Another one is "Van Gogh".
Normal people say /gof/
Prenentious but uninformed say /go/
Pretentious and informed say it in the Dutch style which I can't even type but is a bit like /khuhk/

Yet nobody gets on their high horse about pronouncing "Chinua Achebe" in perfect Igbo
>>
>>8215866
>unironically

You mean nonironically?
>>
>>8215894
No. I'm french and the way Americans pronounce Camus is inbearable
>>
>>8215908
Al-ber Kamy?
>>
>>8215895
Where are you from? Never in my life have I heard anyone call him van "Goff". Have always heard it pronounced go (like dough) and I don't feel it is pretentious at all.
>>
>>8215972
#Brexit

In England the conversation goes like this:

Pleb1: What do you think of Van /gof/?
Pleb2: Actually it's pronounced Van /go/
Pleb1: Oh, sorry, I'm not v smrat lol
Pleb2: I just edercated you lol
>>
I don't discuss literature, because I'm afraid I might have to pronounce French names.

So it's my private secret hobby. It's not like someone would ever go into my apartment and see the books.
>>
>>8215895
I just use "hoch" when typing how to pronounce it, because it is rather like the Scottish hoch sound, and less people have a problem with that for some reason.
>>8215881
Hah, me too. I even double down with Alsace belongs to the Fatherland if I'm tipsy. I try to do Goethe wrong, but I never remember to.
>>
>>8215897
did you say this ironically so i'd call you a phony pseud as well?
>>
If your a english major loser spending 200k to discuss books at least look up the pronunciation of the author's name lazy degenerate
>>
>>8216036
you're awfully presumptuous, dear anon
>>
>>8215894
no they're not
>>
reminder that OP got his shit smacked by some postdocs for pronouncing Augustine "Aug-us-STEEN" today and is lashing out on /lit/ to avenge himself on them, and to ensure himself that he isn't an idiot and that they are idiots.
>>
>>8215895
Goff is British
Go is American

Neither is 'pretensious'

Hacking up phlegm is the correct pronunciation
>>
Reminder that beyond shitposting actually thinking about, caring, getting angry over "plebs" and "pseuds" makes you both
>>
>>8216455
>therefore i'm a pseud for making this post
>therefore anyone not shitposting on this post is thinking about, caring, or getting angry over pseuds are pseuds
>you cared about this pseud-post made by a pseud
>therefore...
wanna feel free to finish off this categorical syllogism, anon?
>>
>>8215866
Did this happen to you recently OP? Did you pronounce Borges as Borggz? Are you sad?
>>
>>8216522
I've never been shamed or anything like that I've just noticed how much emphasis gets put on things that have nothing to do with the actual literature and its complete bullshit.
>>8216455
is probably right though its best just to ignore it because it will always persist
>>
>>8216036
As we increasingly become a world where people converse less and type more, is it a given that this will become more common?
>>
>>8215895
Most people pronounce Chinua Achebe's name correctly enough. Nowhere close to how people fuck up Vincent van Gogh's name.
>>
>>8216738
Maybe cause the Dutch G is a pain in the ass?
I get throat ache just thinking about it.
>>
File: 1359682070707.jpg (42KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1359682070707.jpg
42KB, 500x500px
>>8215895
>not convincing normies its pronounced vAn G-og-He for laughs
>>
>>8216738
>Most people pronounce Chinua Achebe's name correctly enough

It's not so much that, as the way (especially in the UK) people will switch to a French accent while saying a French name, or even the name of some French cities. I've seen the same for German and Russian words and I've even observed people do the same for Japanese names - go right into a Japanese accent when saying Tokyo "properly" while describing their last trip there, and switching back to their normal British upper middle class tosser accent without blinking.

Would be someone switch to a thick Igbo accent when saying Chinua Achebe, but it won't happen.
>>
File: don-quijote-por-dali.jpg (102KB, 708x960px) Image search: [Google]
don-quijote-por-dali.jpg
102KB, 708x960px
>>8217976
>mfw Yoruba, Japanese and names of most other origins sound completely fine in my language
i don't understand why you people insist on talking like there's something wrong with your mouths
seriously not pronouncing all your vowels as diphthongs and rolling your r's properly can't be that difficult
>>
>>8215925
Owlbear Cowmoo
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.