[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>wrote mostly poems this past semester >want to get back

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: 1449266946690.jpg (107KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1449266946690.jpg
107KB, 640x640px
>wrote mostly poems this past semester
>want to get back into writing short stories
>don't really have any ideas or a large number of experiences to draw from

Few questions:
How do you practice if you're an anxious recluse who doesn't live rambunctiously like your peers? Do you study Tao Lin and learn how to write about mundane subject matter? Do you wait for more life experience to accumulate and focus on structure/style by writing about experiences you've already had?

It seems to me like writing about past experiences is a good way of practicing structure/style because it ignores the quality of the short story's ideas; I think it probably focuses your energy on *how* you relate a story rather than *what* you're relating.
>>
Have you ever thought of reading poetry? And maybe literature? And getting ideas?

The fact you say study tao lin out of everyone is embarrassing.
>>
>>8189053
>How do you practice if you're an anxious recluse who doesn't live rambunctiously like your peers?

you do the woody allen thing and write about the same few events a thousand times over

>It seems to me like writing about past experiences is a good way of practicing structure/style because it ignores the quality of the short story's ideas;

it is. also writing isn't about 'ideas', it's about words.
>>
>>8189053
I think people here use the word "experiences" in too narrow of a sense. You don't need to go fight a war, fuck a bitch, and or have an orgy to find something interesting to write about.

Just pay close attention to what is happening around you and read interesting things.

It's the great the burden that many have to face I think. It isn't necessarily what you have experienced that is average. You just are.
>>
>>8189070
Tao Lin writes about mundane life events. That's why I mentioned him. He's also a contemporary writer, which was another reason. Studying Bashō probably wouldn't be too helpful now would it?
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.