[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Guys, I'm really interested in writing my own comics and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: writing22.png (76KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
writing22.png
76KB, 300x300px
Guys, I'm really interested in writing my own comics and graphic novels, but I feel like I'm a pretty mediocre writer. I'd like to be able to at least write some good short stories before I tackle my own comics.

What are some essential resources for beginning writers?

Articles, books, videos, blogs, exercises; anything helps, really.
>>
>>8158747
Read good shit if you want to write good shit. Reading A Game of Thrones is like sitting around eating ice cream all day and expecting to get buff.
>>
read Dubliners to see someone conquer short stories in real-time.
Read Ovid's metamorphoses for sick references and the mastery of segueing
write stuff and get someone who has read more than you read it and hurt your feelings
don't let go of the hurt
let it consume you
congratulations you'll be able to write serviceably
>>
>>8158747
If you want to write comics, Scott McCloud's instructional comic series are absolutely essential. Bendis' Words for Pictures vis very helpful as well.

Understanding short story structure is obviously important and there are many comic anthologies you could search through. Image's Island Magazine is a good one.

I write comic scripts as a pasttime and I love it, even if I bang my head against the wall over it.
>>
>>8159027
>>8158996

Thanks for the suggestions!

I'm a huge fan of classic Sword & Sorcery and Sci-Fi, so I've been reading a lot of pulp stuff, and Heavy Metal issues, looking up other works from the artists that interest me the most. I want to get good enough to at least start putting out my own indie zine in collaboration with some drawfriends from college.
>>
>>8158747

I always thought the problem with wanting to write comics is that drawing is much harder than writing.

If someone can draw decent comics, they've invested hundreds upon hundreds of hours on it. If you want them to draw your story, you have to somehow convince them it's good enough, better than their own stories.

How do you do that?
>>
>>8159077

>drawing is much harder than writing

Why do people jump to that conclusion?

I study at a pretty big arts college, and basically everyone can draw, and I know some very VERY good artists, and a few godlike artists. In contrast, I know like two people who can write passably, and literally not ONE person who I'd consider an actually GOOD writer.

Seriously, writing nowadays is SEVERELY underrated, and understudied by most young college students, which is one of the reasons I've taken up the challenge of becoming a good writer.

It's a real bummer to read a story written and drawn by someone whose art you absolutely love and just realize it's a pretty shit story.

> If you want them to draw your story, you have to somehow convince them it's good enough, better than their own stories.

Or, you know, pay them?
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.