[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I read The Odyssey before Ulysses? Does it make any difference

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

Should I read The Odyssey before Ulysses?
Does it make any difference reading Joyce's other work before Ulysses?
>>
You should read the Odyssey before any other western book, actually.
>>
>>8151051
Not before the Iliad though.
>>8151038
I read The Odyssey immediately before Ulysses and it let me catch some references, but I didn't find that it added much to my experience overall.
>>
>>8151066
Should I read Illiad first or?
>>
>>8151071

Yeah, read the Illiad first.
>>
>>8151038
And you only really need to read the first half or so of the Odyssey to understand the big allusions in Ulysses. I still recommend reading all of it because it's an extremely useful story to be familiar with.
>>
>>8151038
Dante and Shakespeare are good background too.
>>
>>8151038
You can, and it elucidates things to some extent, but you really don't have to.
>>
>>8151038
The books that I would most recommend reading before hand are Joyce's earlier works. Dubliners and then Portrait of the Artist. You can read Chamber Music if you want but I can only remember one reference to it in Ulysses so it's not that essential.
>>
>>8151038
Reading Portrait of the Artist before Ulysses makes a world of difference. The character carries through. Odyssey isn't necessary but as others will have pointed out, there's no reaon for you not to read it for itself.
>>
You should read
The odyssey
Hamlet
Maybe the bible
Dubliners
A portrait of the artist as a young man
You will never be able to understand every allusion though so it doesn't really matter what you read. It won't be enough
>>
>>8152252
Chamber music as in the play set in the mental Asylum?
Im part of a production of that. Did not pick up any joyce references
>>
>>8153201
As in the book of poems by James Joyce
His strength lies more in prose though
>>
>>8152837
This plus Ibsen, Joyce worshiped Ibsen. Hedda Gabler and Ghosts were his favorites.
>>
>>8151071
You don't have to but it's fun.
>>
>>8153201
Chamber music refers to the sound a lady makes in a water closet
>>
>>8153590
I've got a penguin collection entitled A Dolls House and other Plays.
Will that suffice
>>
File: ulysses.png (604KB, 668x1876px) Image search: [Google]
ulysses.png
604KB, 668x1876px
>>
>>8153636
what happens if i don't?
>>
>>8153655
i dunno you will just be less prepared
>>
>>8153655
you die
>>
>>8153655
Nothing, the allusions to other literature are superficial. If you listen to these people saying you need to read the entire western canon before Ulysses, you're just going to be desperately looking for literary references that aren't even very important, and missing the value of the text on its own
>>
>>8151038
Read Dubliners, then Portrait, then Ulysses. The Homer is optional, especially for the first Ulysses read.
>>
File: mfw.png (249KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
mfw.png
249KB, 640x360px
>>8153636
Woah, Dante had a last name
>>
>>8154422
You have a lot of work ahead of you bruh
>>
>>8151038

If you're asking this question in the first place, you're probably not ready for Ulysses.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.