[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

People who read for pleasure and/or plot: What is your opinion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: millennium-trilogy-covers.jpg (111KB, 1078x499px) Image search: [Google]
millennium-trilogy-covers.jpg
111KB, 1078x499px
People who read for pleasure and/or plot:
What is your opinion on these? Worth reading?
>>
Everyone reads for pleasure.

Those books have very enjoyable and dramatic moments, but overall are too long (filled with needless details such as the number of e-mails a character has read and the number of e-mails the character labeled as spam) and will trigger you if you have right-wing political views.
>>
the covers are cool
>>
>>8094341
>Everyone reads for pleasure.
Well a surprising number of people here read to achieve some sort of status or purely to gain skills.

Anyway thanks. Seems worthy of a try since people didn't immediately start shitting on it here.
>>
Read these before I started reading "real" lit. Fun if not the most easily accessible storyline, and interesting, surprisingly real characters. Definitely worth a shot for an easy read, especially if you like mysteries.
>>
>>8094380
>Well a surprising number of people here read to achieve some sort of status or purely to gain skills.
Then they enjoy having status and skills. Everything is done for pleasure - the difference is in the location of the pleasure - in the story, in the prose, or in the facts learned once a book is read.

By the way, you can read the first book independently, but the other two are connected (and imo better).
>>
I've read the first three, not the fourth
book 1
>some good shit
book 2
>bad shit
book 3
>drivel
>>
>>8093884
Read them ages ago but I remember being engaged by the initial mystery, it's a locked room type scenario (an island in the book's case). Like all mysteries the conclusion is unsatisfying, the getting there is the thing. The 2nd I don't recall and the 3rd I recall hating.

Cheers lad
>>
>>8096305
this desu
also it was supposed to be a 10-part series so be prepared for the ending to be a little off
>>
I've been reading Knausgaard's Min Kamp, on the fifth book, and every time he would mention Stig Larsson, I thought he was talking about the guy who wrote these books. I thought, Cool, I guess that Swedish guy whose Dragon Tattoo books exploded is actually a respected literary writer who's written some good stuff besides these thrillers, cool that he can do both and was able to have a big success near the end of his life after being just a critical darling. Turns out they're different people. The Dragon Tattoo guy was born as "Stig" but changed his name to "Stieg" precisely because the guy Knausgaard talks about was already an established writer with a reputation. So it's Stig I want to read, not Stieg, but none of his books have been translated, it seems. Anyway, that's my story.
>>
>>8096410
Thanks for your story. I thought it was the same guy too, and thought maybe they're not the shit I've considered them to be after all.
>>
First one is really actually very good. plot becomes pretty convoluted afterwards
>>
>>8096643

The first and second one are reasonably entertaining. I would avoid the third though, it suffers from a lack of any real conflict.

Good guys decide in the first third of the book to execute this long winded elaborate plan to bring the bad guys down and the rest of the book describes the execution of that plan. At no point in the execution of this plan do the antagonists do anything to stop the plan and indeed are totally unaware of it for the most part. It's very tedious.
>>
>>8096305
Yup, the first book had an interesting story, reading the second was a chore. Couldn't make it more than a few pages into the third.
>>
>>8096410
Here in Sweden, in the pretentious literary wanker circles, Stig Larsson is often referred to as "the real Stig Larsson" as to avoid confusion.
>>
>>8097599
Really? That's funny.
>>
>>8097599
What does he write anyway?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.