[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /lit/, could you recommend me some starter poetry bundles?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

File: Front_small.jpg (68KB, 400x368px) Image search: [Google]
Front_small.jpg
68KB, 400x368px
Hey /lit/, could you recommend me some starter poetry bundles?
Also what does /lit/ think of Jim Morrison as a poet?
>>
>>8049821
Jim Morrison loved this guy called John Green, have you heard of him anon?
>>
File: le scrub face.png (1MB, 1122x1122px) Image search: [Google]
le scrub face.png
1MB, 1122x1122px
DUDE ACID LMAO

Seriously though he's shit. Just another pretentious 60's psychedelic babbler with nothing of any actual substance to say. Back then all you had to do was just come off as artsy and people would think you were speaking new gospel. Go back and listen to almost anything from the late 60's and see what I mean. The whole scene was just an excuse to get high and chill with the cool kids.
>>
>>8049821
the doors were a rad popular musical band and Jim's song lyrics are great.

song lyrics.
not poems
>>
>>8049821
Song lyrics are inherently worse than poetry and his lyrics were shit, soooo
>>
Start with the Greens
>>
start with the memes
>>
>>8049821
>op asks for recomendations as well as opinion on Morrison as a poet
>DUDE DRUGS LMAO HES SHIT
>no recs whatsoever
>john greenmeme

Im taking a break from /lit/ today.

Also, OP try some Wallace, Whitman, Plath.
>>
>>8049954
So basically you understand that song lyrics and poetry are two different art forms, and that you're basically saying that one art form is inherently better than another.

Is this how you rationalize spending your time writing """poetry""" while Chad and his band are banging chicks left and right?
>>
>>8049968
Thank you anon
>>
>>8049971
Jokes on you im gay I don't give af if chad fucks some thots
And I don't write poetry
>>
>>8049982
It wasn't a joke, it was a sincere observation designated to improve your life.
What does it change if you're gay or if you don't actually write poetry? You still get the underlying point.
>>
File: image.jpg (40KB, 489x363px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40KB, 489x363px
>>8049988
The point that you're a massive Gaylord who probably cuts himself to evanescence songs?
>>
Drunken buffoon, posing as a poet.
>>
>>8049992
ayy lmao. stop self-loathing friend.

tbqh I had to google evanescence to see what you mean
>>
File: image.jpg (101KB, 852x469px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
101KB, 852x469px
>>8050005
Sure thing gramps
>>
>>8050012
I don't know what to tell you buddy. you're saying that I'm lying about not knowing some random burger goth band, and therefore since I'm lying, it means that art forms can be inherently better and worse than one another.
>>
>>8050037
I'm just saying, his lyrics are shit and generally lyrics can't stand alone as well as poetry
>>
>>8050075
Celebration of the Lizard trumps
>>
>>8050082
>40 mins of some drunk autist jerking off onstage
Nty
>>
>>8050075
But that's what i'm saying.
Lyrics are NOT MADE to fucking stand alone. standing alone well is a requirement for poetry, and not for lyrics. That is why they are different art forms.

Just pls appreciate music more, don't be a narrow-minded lit guy, that's a terrible meme to be. And no I never said that Jim's lyrics are particularly great.
>>
>>8050103
Dude music is like my main interest
>>
>>8050133
Then appreciate it.

To continue my lament--
no, lyrics are not an easier art form because they "lack" this limitation of standaloneness. They have other, even bigger limitations, in that they need to conform rhytmically to the melody of the vocals. Choice and timing of the particular words is also much harder, when trying to elicit an emotional response. Since the listener can't re-read the line -- it needs to hit him instantly the way you wanted, both subconsciously and consciously.

And that's fucking difficult to do.
>>
>>8050140
You realize most songs start with vocals and then work out from there, right?
>>
>>8050146
That may be, or it may not lmao, I'd say it depends heavily on the genre. But even if so, you still first compose a vocal melody and the rest of the music, and only then do you write the lyrics, in 95% of (successful) cases.
>>
>>8050158
Jim basically just scribbled some shit in his notebook and the band would find a melody to go with the lyrics or poetry (whatever the fuck you want to call it)
>>
>>8050199
that's true (if we trust the stories), they are one of the exceptions.

Another interesting exception that I know of is Rush. Guitarist and bassist-singer write the music, while the drummer writes a poem. Then the drummer and the bassist-singer work together to adapt the poem into lyrics. And then they put the entire song together. So basically they're a half-exception half-not.

But generally in 95% of cases nobody writes lyrics first and melody later because in most cases you'll hit a brick wall in your process sooner or later. And even if you manage to somehow avoid it, the melody will most probably be dull and uninspiring. Kinda like trying to write a screenplay before even outlining a story and characters.

(Notice how simple and dull The Doors's vocal melodies are rhytmically, btw. A bit like he's actually reciting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCX8VJIYgM8 (This song is one of the more extreme examples)

LETS, SWIM, TO THE, MOOOON, UH UH
LETS, CLIMB, THROUGH THE, TIIIIDE
PE NE, TRATE THE, EEEVENING, THAT THUH
CITY, SLEEPS, TO, HIIIIIDE)
>>
>>8049914
>substance
my favourite meme
>>
>>8049968
You're a good guy.
>>
Doors lyrics may seem simple at first, so may Jim's poetry, but the age of complicated metaphors and forcible beauty in poetry had been already dead in those times for like 50 years. Read Ginsberg, Bukowski and other similar artists and you may understand the lyrics and poetry of the doors.
>>
>>8049821
Faces of Love - Penguin
It's a collection of some of the poems of 3 Persian poets from Shiraz.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.