[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>spend 10 years avoiding Derrida because I think he's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 345
Thread images: 18

File: derrida.jpg (120KB, 1181x1209px) Image search: [Google]
derrida.jpg
120KB, 1181x1209px
>spend 10 years avoiding Derrida because I think he's some final boss of philosophy
>decide to read up on him this week on a whim
>he was a literal meme retard
>Of Grammatology was B+ at best, same shit done by a dozen other guys in the 20th century except they actually worked out their ideas instead of just being a trendy celebrity with them
>The Truth in Painting is exact same thing, just read Barthes and ten other guys instead
>only a trendy celebrity because horrendous parody-of-themselves-tier philosophers like Zizek, Deleuze, Debord, Lacoue-Labarthe greased the wheels for him to be famous
>would have been nobody if (also a shit hack totally derivative of Saussure fuckup moron) Levi-Strauss hadn't launched him to fame while at the peak of his own fame
>these famous post-structuralists didn't even understand him, even HE thought they didn't understand him
>unpleasant as fuck, just a weird dude who acquired celebrity status
>got mad at people constantly for not understanding his "deconstruction", kept getting mad at interviewers all the time
>admittedly even he, himself, didn't understand deconstruction
>every coverage of his """""""""ideas"""""""" is 90% composed of WASN'T HE QUIRKY???
>SO QUIRKY!!!!
>surrounded by yes-man morons (opinionless voids) everywhere
>respectable publishers at the time and French clubs of philosophy sucking his dick all the time
>even though no one understood him and only because of his """"""ECCENTRIC""""""" personality they'd scribble down "His ideas come to us as if by revelation. He is a divine god and I want to suck his cock."
>literally a meme
>literally a retard
>just the shitty Heidegger of a bygone generation

Alright, no more joking around. Continental philosophy people are fucking morons. Kant, Lacan, Foucault, I kept forgiving and forgiving and forgiving you people for worshiping actual autistic children like these fucks, thinking Derrida was going to be some top secret French spice like Saussure 2 Electric Boogaloo. And it's just more shit. You are actually all morons.

This isn't banter. If you are a continental philosopher, or a fan of any continental philosopher, YOU are a MORON.
>>
u gon do dis erryda?
>>
>>8047362
>Zizek, Deleuze, Debord, Lacoue-Labarthe

Could have been a good pasta but all these people hate Derrida, especially Deleuze
>>
This is pasta from Wittgenstein, no?
>>
Kant is not continental
>>
>>8047367
Actually, Deleuze considered Derrida his good friend even though they didn't agree on anything.
>>
>>8047380
Ok sure, but thats just because Deleuze was chill like that
>>
>>8047367
p sure zizek praised his ideas a bunch of times
>>
>>8047380
foucault was deleuze's true arch nemesis
>>
>>8047362
>Kant, Lacan, Foucault

One of these is not like the others.
>>
>>8047362
I mean there is a reason Derrida has been a dead dog even in shit comp-lit departments for 15-20 years.

People on here think he is still important because (a) they went to shit schools and their professors just teach the same shit they learned in grad school 30 years ago, or (b) Derrida is taught to undergrads because he ruined literature departments for so long they feel like they have to teach him to undergrads.
>>
>>8047832
Kant is the father of continental philosophy. Check out his Wikipedia article again.
>>
>>8047362
I am 73 years old and I have been on this board for years. I have never seen any post like this. I can assure you that Derrida is an +A level philosopher who brought us deconstruction.
>>
>>8047872
Kant is the father of all philosophy that came after him, including analytic philosophy.

There would be no Frege or Carnap without Kant. And Sellars, Rawls, C.I. Lewis, Peter Strawson, Korsgaard, McDowell, are pretty big names in analytic philosophy...
>>
>>8047362
calling Derrida "derivative" of Saussure shows just how little you understand both of them, lmao
>>
>>8047859

he is still pretty important for postcolonial studies, i should think
>>
>>8047362
>WASN'T HE QUIRKY???

For all the Athenians and strangers which were there spent their time in nothing else, but either to tell, or to hear some new thing.

Guess he figured it out. Probably had to read a book though. Weaksauce.
>>
>>8047370
Yes
>>
>>8047912
Well, all the worse for postcolonial studies I guess
>>
>>8047362
>only a trendy celebrity because horrendous parody-of-themselves-tier philosophers
>not including Lacan as the absolute quintessence of that category
>>
>>8047930
>Lacan
>Philosopher

pls let this meme die
>>
>>8047362
Derrida at least looks like a final boss
>>
>>8047938
What the fuck was he then?
>>
>>8047946
Suck my fucking dick you fucking retard.
>>
>>8047907
i think its levi strauss
>>
>>8047946
le worlds greatest topologist of course
>>
>>8047362
>he didn't know Derrida is a pseud
>>
>>8047949
that's not really an answer to the question nor is it even as much as an appropriate response.
>>
>>8047962
ah i see. i don't really think that's a fair characterization either, though. haha.

if you want to go after derrida, though, go after him on his obsession with "metaphysics;" marx had already killed it with historical materialism. ethics are the real problem, which derrida would have known if he were a better reader of neitzsche.
>>
>>8047986
lacan is le best le knot theorist! SUBJECTIVITY IS PRESERVED UNDER ALL CONTINUOUS DEFORMATIONS!!!
>>
>>8047990
i don't wanna go after derrida, i love him
>>
>>8048005
don't worry, historicism can always rehabilitate. what Derrida is in need of is a "return to Nietzsche," in the same way Lacan engineered a "return to Freud"
>>
>>8047990
fucking lol. if you want to go after derrida go after the fact he is a derivative fake who was a shit reader of the philosophical tradition and didn't know when to fucking quit it with his stupid rhetorical ticks
>>
>>8048000
>>8047949
>>8047965

Come on guys, he is at least as much of a philosopher as Diogenes of Sinope. As far as I know he just acted like a douchebag in order to prove it is possible to act like a douchebag. Sounds like somebody else.
>>
>>8048014
Not as good a philosopher as Bobby 'Don't Worry be Happy' McFerrin though!
>>
>>8047872
Kant is not one of the bad guys - he was an actual philosopher (despite his regrettably tortuous writing style).

In the interest of naming the enemy, here is the list of pseudo-philosophical charlatans you want to avoid:

Hegel, Bergson, Heidegger, Benjamin, Gadamer, Lacan, Adorno, Sartre, Levinas, Arendt, Merleau-Ponty, Levi-Strauss, Beauvoir, Ricoeur, Lyotard, Deleuze, Foucault, Derrida, Irigaray, Badiou, Nancy, Rancière, Kristeva, Agamben, Latour, Zizek, and Butler.
>>
>>8048044
>Heidegger
>pseudo-philosophical

?

Literally go fuck yourself.
>>
>>8048044
>Stop liking what I don't like philosophy edition

Fucking Hegel? Are you serious? He created the foundation for all of materialist thought
>>
>>8048054
>>8048051
They are all le epic personalities and """"funny"""" and """""""quirky"""""" celebrities, not philosophers.
>>
>>8048061
you aren't even wrong
>>
ITT : people talking about authors they never read
>>
>>8048044
Philosopher here!

Hegel, Heidegger, Gadamer, Lacan, Adorno, Sarte, Levinas, Merleu-Ponty, Arendt, Ricoeur and Foucault are all real philosophers, and range from excellent to merely interesting.

Benjamin is a great thinker, but I don't think he is a philosopher (not that he isn't more interesting than many philosophers). Deleuze is a mixed bag, Zizek is an entertainer, and the rest are frauds.
>>
>>8048069
Sorry! I didn't mean to include Lacan on the philosopher list!

>>8048054
what a silly thing to say!
>>
>>8048054
>foundation for all of materialist thought

Epicurus and Democritus
>>
File: Zizek-Trash-1.gif (76KB, 640x393px) Image search: [Google]
Zizek-Trash-1.gif
76KB, 640x393px
>>8048061
>>
Levi-Strauss and Barthes are NOT philosophers.
>>
>>8048085
levi-strauss is hugely important in several areas of philosophy because he is a theoretician of geisteswissenschaten

barthes too but not so much
>>
>>8048079
>>8048074
Current materialist thought. He's really fucking important is the thing
>>
File: image.jpg (73KB, 666x408px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73KB, 666x408px
All continental philosophy is is the obfuscation of unsubstantiated opinions.
>>
>>8048108
>Current materialist thought

Please tell me who you are thinking of.
>>
>>8048054
HAHAHAHAHA

YOU
FUCKING
RETARD
>>
>Claude Levi-Strauss

what an unfortunate name
>>
>>8048051
Heidegger is the paradigm example of a gibberish-spewing bullshit artist who masquerades as a 'philosopher'.
>>
>>8048069
Bullshit - you are clearly not a philosopher. Nobody studies any of those figures in philosophy.
>>
>>8048108
No, he isn't. He is never cited by actual philosophers - materialist or otherwise.
>>
>>8048144
1. not true
2. i don't work on them, but that doesn't mean i don't read and enjoy them.

how's undergrad?
>>
>>8048150
pls read more
>>
>>8048150
>>8048118
Zizek, the list goes on :^)
>>
Agreed.

Anyone who reads deconstructive texts with an open mind is likely to be struck by the same phenomena that initially surprised me:

>the low level of philosophical argumentation
>the deliberate obscurantism of the prose
>the wildly exaggerated claims
>the constant striving to give the appearance of profundity (by making claims that seem paradoxical, but under analysis often turn out to be silly or trivial)
>>
>>8048159
funny man ;)

and don't forget Malabou. the most important philosopher working on phil mind/neuroscience alive!
>>
>>8048151
Nobody studies any of those figures in philosophy. Nobody even cites them.
>>
Why is there a sudden influx of anti-Derrida (and anti-continental in general) posters these last two weeks? I thought we had all agreed to coexist peacefully, analytic friends jerking off to logical systems while continental friends pretended they were "organless" transgender lolis for some deep Foucault roleplaying, but you people are shitposting at extreme levels.

I mean, Derrida is sort of passe, but to claim he has no influence at all in any meaningful school or shit like that is just being ignorant and considering only anglophone, logic oriented departments are worth a shit.

>>8047362

My nigga by all accounts Derrida was actually tsundere for Debord, who wanted nothing to do with him.
>>
>>8047362
>giving b+ to derriduh

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_Inc#Dispute_with_John_Searle_.E2.80.94_.22Afterword:_Toward_An_Ethic_of_Discussion.22

Read this you fucking retard
>>
>>8048069
The only reason based Benji isn't a philosopher is that Adorno and Panofsky were too dumb to understand the Origin of German Drama (but so what, so am I, I could barely make it past the intro lel)
>>
>>8048176
>considering only anglophone, logic oriented departments

This is an English-speaking board, troll. Also, even globally, philosophy = what you call 'analytic' philosophy. "Continental philosophy" is not a thing, except on /lit/. Pseuds like Derrida are only read by other pseuds in shit fields like "Cultural Studies".
>>
>>8048175
This isn't true.
Let's walk through a few departments:
NYU: i count 6 people on the faculty who have interests in some of these figures
Columbia: i count 8
Pitt: I count 5
Chicago: I count 9
Harvard: I count 6
Yale: I count 6
Berkeley I count 7

do i need to continue? fucking learn something about your field.
>>
>>8048193
There are (few, but still) anglophone departments who aren't necessarily continental.

You're just mad you didn't understand some shit on you week studying on Grammatology or some shit, but honestly, tell me how the fuck can analytic philosophy say something about, say, aesthetics, without sounding completely retarded.

And before you say Danto, you must take the following into account: A) he had one good idea through a 60 year old career which he milked like no tomorrow B) he's a fucking hack C) even that one good idea depended on his studying of continental philosophers
>>
>>8048203
Bullshit. Name who you are talking about. And stick to top 5 departments (NYU, Rutgers, Princeton, Michigan, Pittsburgh).
>>
>>8048210
Nelson Goodman, Richard Wollheim, Kendall Walton, Noel Carroll, Monroe Beardsley, Peter Kivy, Malcolm Budd, etc. etc.
>>
>>8048223
I got my phd from one of those departments you stupid fuck.

NYU: Anja, John Richardson, Beatrice, robert hopkins, anthony appiah, david velleman
rutgers: martin lin, howard mcgary, susanna schellenberg,
princeton: des hogan, alexander nehemas
pitt: brandom, mcdowell, thompson,
Japa Pallikkathayil, stephen engstrom,
>>
>>8048232
yep. best essay i've read in the last few years:

richard moran: "kant, proust and the claim of beauty"

perhaps the best writer on aesthetics in the analytic tradition: stanley cavell
>>
>>8048247
>I got my phd from one of those departments you stupid fuck.

Really? I got my PHD from one of those departments, so I would probably have heard of you if you did.

You're listing people who cite Hegel and *maybe* Heidegger, but not Derrida etc, and who are in any case not representative of mainstream philosophy. Brandom and McDowell are the only big names on that list, and they are famous for their heterodoxy and obscurantism.
>>
>>8048277
jesus christ you are a fucking idiot.

look at the list of people I said were interesting philosophers: Derrida is not on it.

And everyone I listed is a prominent philosopher. Sorry if you haven't heard of...people at the department you got your PhD from.
>>
>>8048277
Also you are lying. I don't believe you have a PhD if you don't think David Velleman, Susanna Schellenberg, Alexander Nehamas, Beatrice Longuenesse, or anthony appiah are 'big names'
>>
>>8048284
>jesus christ you are a fucking idiot.

I can tell you don't have a PHD in philosophy.

>look at the list of people I said were interesting philosophers: Derrida is not on it.

"Gadamer, Lacan, Adorno, Sarte, Levinas, Merleu-Ponty, Arendt, Ricoeur and Foucault" are ALL people on your original list, and none of them are cited with any frequency in philosophy. Do I need to post links to citation data?

>And everyone I listed is a prominent philosopher. Sorry if you haven't heard of...people at the department you got your PhD from.

Of course I've "heard" most of their names in passing at some point, but they are certainly NOT prominent philosophers. In every department you will have marginal figures who focus on history of philosophy, or philosophy of art, or some shit. These are not part of the mainstream conversation in philosophy, which revolves around issues in metaphysics, epistemology, philosophy of language, and philosophy of mind.
>>
>>8048322
okay: explain your dissertation to me. you can copy and past your abstract if you like
>>
>>8047990
>marx had already killed it with historical materialism
no lol
>ethics are the real problem
not rly
>>8048044
>omg these people believe something i dont like that means theyre LIOTERALLY BOOGEYMEN HITLERS HOW DARE THEY NOT LIVE THEIR LIVES TRYING TO FURTHER MY STEM IDEOLOGY
>>8048144
Modern philosophy is a joke that has devolved into STEM-and-Societies pandering nonsense that gets upset when prose beyond a high school level is used.
>>8048176
Plebbit and /sci/ trolls/teens have invaded; idiots that think 'ITS NOT STUDIED IN FUCKING 2016AT THESE REALLY FAMOUS SCHOOLS' is a conclusive argument that ends all arguments.
>>8048203
>>8048223
>IF ITS NOT SUPER FAMOUS AND POPULAR AND THESE SUPER FAMOUS-POPULAR UNIVERSITIES THAN ITS FUCKING DUMB OMG ITS 2016
>>8048322
>IF ITS NOT MAINSTEAM THAN ITS FUCKING DUMB ITS 2016 YOU HAVE TO DO THINGS I LIKE AND BE TRENDY

Fucking children ruining my /lit/
>>8048330
His dissertation: its 2016 and any philosopher or philosophy not circlejerked over by my academics at these incestuous schools that are only good because I SAID THEY ARE are bad and also its 2016 time to stop being white
>>
>>8048297
I took a class with David Velleman. I remember reading Appiah's early work on conditionals. The others may be big names in your quasi-continental world, but are not well-cited in mainstream philosophy.
>>
>>8048351
i'm limiting myself to the top 30 or so departments in the english speaking world and finding tons of people who read, write, talk about and cite these figures. and these people themselves are cited all the time. you know jack shit about philosophy. I work in a technical field, but i study philosophy, so i know what goes on in the field, what a fucking embarrassment you are.
>>
>>8048350
Ah, I was wondering when you would find this thread. How was your Monday, trollboi?
>>
>>8048359
Wait, I thought you had a PHD from a top 5 philosophy department? Are you dropping that charade now?

And no, those people are not well cited outside their respective niches, if at all.
>>
>>8048371

I meant just looking through the top 30 or so departments. I have my phd from one of the four departments i mentioned people by name from. what you are saying is just wrong.

wait, have i been trolled? you haven't shown you even know the first thing about the field of philosophy. in fact you've demonstrated the opposite. oh well.
>>
>>8048361
Why do you think 'IF YOU POST THING I DONT LIKE YOUR A TROLL' is an argument?

Go boast about your fake PhD on /his/ or something. I'm sick of you spoiled, unpublished, uneducated brats shitting up this board because they aren't trendy or progressive enough for you.

Philosophy is not a STEM sperg field that focuses on modern theories, it does not work on falsification and there is no linear progression.
>>8048371
i said thing so its true.
>>8048380
Of course it's a troll
>>
>>8048384
man it's so obvious. ah this is embarrassing.
>>
File: 1437048263855.jpg (182KB, 1014x634px) Image search: [Google]
1437048263855.jpg
182KB, 1014x634px
>>8048044
>Hegel, Bergson, Heidegger, Benjamin, Gadamer, Lacan, Adorno, Sartre, Levinas, Arendt, Merleau-Ponty, Levi-Strauss, Beauvoir, Ricoeur, Lyotard, Deleuze, Foucault, Derrida, Irigaray, Badiou, Nancy, Rancière, Kristeva, Agamben, Latour, Zizek, and Butler.

>I do not understand these people, therefore they are bad !
>>
>>8048193
>This is an English-speaking board, troll. Also, even globally, philosophy = what you call 'analytic' philosophy. "Continental philosophy" is not a thing, except on /lit/. Pseuds like Derrida are only read by other pseuds in shit fields like "Cultural Studies".
each one of your sentence shows your lack of understanding the society
>>
>>8048210
>tell me how the fuck can analytic philosophy say something about, say, aesthetics, without sounding completely retarded.
Read Hume and Kant.
>>8048350
Shut the fuck up, you type like a child.
Continental """philosophers """ aren't evere mentioned in academia for a reason.

Analytic Philosophy = real philosophy based on logic and reason
Continental """Philosophy""" = bullshit garbage obscuritism mentioned in sociology departments at best, heh.
It's not difficult to understand, only a PSEUD who's too stupid to understand real philosophy that he has to resort to "poetic" nonsense, would say otherwise.
>>
>>8048410
I am the person with an actual PhD from a top 5 'analytic' department and he may have been one of the people I was arguing with, but what he is saying is pretty much accurate.
>>
>>8048380
Riiight. So what did you mean when you said "I work in a technical field, but i study philosophy, so i know what goes on in the field" ?
>>
>>8048384
Someone who was too stupid to even understand undergraduate Phil and hopes he can make it through autodidactism but failed so he has to resort to gibberish detected.
>>
>>8048420
I work on a technical subfield, but I (like anyone with a PhD in philosophy) am expected to know and be conversant with and be able to give feedback on talks and papers in ethics, epistemology, philosophy of language, ancient, modern, kant, foucault, phil. action etc. It doesn't matter if my dissertation is on dynamic approaches to epistemic modals or whether grounding is an irreflexive relation or whatever, i need to be conversant in philosophy. Otherwise I am poorly trained and don't know shit about my field.
>>
>>8048390
>Shut the fuck up, you type like a child.
wow so logical and reasonable

Troll harder.
>OMG ITS NOT MENTIONED IN THESE DEPARTMENTS IN 2016 WHY ARENT YOU ENLIGHTENEND AND INTELLETUAL LIKE ME???
Go troll /pol/acks on /his/ you non-entity.
>>8048425
Project harder.

I am actually published, I do not make claims of 'OMG MUST BE CITED THIS MANY TIMES IN THIS DEPARTMENT AND ONLY DEPARTMENT I LIKE SO ITS DUMB', I don't boast and perpetually stroke my own intellectual boner on an anime imageboard.
>>8048428
but its 2016 if you dont only care about these people i like and these super progressive departments that have more pocs and women in them than evil white men then ur jus tdumb and racist and a troll btw your a troll and if you even reply to me ill call you a troll (this doesnt make me a troll at all though because im super logical and reasonable and am the smartest person alive because an excerpt on my paper on vagina ethics was cited once by tarjeet mcpakislam)
>>
>>8048438
what is wrong with you?
>>
>>8048438
You type like a /pol/tard teen and spout the same shitty memes they do, I doubt you're published.
>>
>>8048448
I'm 28 and only 'spouting memes' because you are a living political caricature and thereby will be treated as such.
>>
>>8048445
>omg its 2016 how dare you question me?!!?!!?
>>
>>8048456
>because you are a living political caricature
Says the moron that thinks that Continental """Philosophy""" is mentioned outside of a few isolated incidents in academia.
>>
>>8048469
I think you are confusing who you are talking to. There is the person with a PhD who has shown you to be full of shit, and then there is this weird autist.
>>
>>8048469
I never said that

I said that it is irrelevant how trendy something is.
>ITS NOT LE PHILOSOPHY IF IT DOESNT PROGRESS MUH STEM AND SOCIETIES ITS 2016 YOU HAVE TO BE TRENDY OR YOUR RACIST
>>
>>8048476
it's true that it doesn't matter how trendy something is. I have no idea why you are bundling this up with weird identity politics and 'if you don't like trendy philosophy you are racist'. It is just obvious you don't know what you are talking about.
>>
>>8048480
>It is just obvious you don't know what you are talking about.
Stop projecting.

Claiming that a philosopher is irrelevant unless they further your STEM sperg ideology or are cited in departments you approve of is equating trend with quality.

Go back to shitposting on /his/ or even /pol/ since you seem to know so much about it.
>>
>>8048473
The PhD proved me right.
>>8048476
If it's not studied in academia then it's not philosophy.
>>
>>8048487
>anti-STEM
Of course, spotted the retard.
>>
>>8047859
I learned about him in an intro to crit theory class, just as a historical survey.

The problem is the professor was a horrible trigglypuff and probably believed that shit, so she didn't tell us it was a historical survey.

>captcha: meson los pepes
>>
>>8048490
>If it's not studied in academia then it's not philosophy.
According to?
You? The same person who is an arbiter of all philosophy and all logic and reason as well?
>>8048493
I work in STEM and have more experience in it than you have in your field, I can truthfully tell you that it is in a circle-jerking intellectual black hole at the moment.
>>
>>8048487
Trendy philosophy is like....work on epistemic modals, contrastive explanation, hyperintensional metaphysics, technical issues in bayesian epistemology. I dunno, It isn't, by and large, anything related to the SJW JEWISH MENACE.
>>
>>8048350
metaphysics are over. histmat is the only societally valid truth
>>
>>8048514
I don't think you understand what I mean by trendy.

Why are you on /lit/ if you are functionally illiterate?
>>8048517
Why?
>>
>>8048505
The very fact that you use an expression ("STEM") that mixes the practical pursuits of technology and engineering with the pure disciplines of science and mathematics, tells me you are a retard.
>>
>>8048520
Can you explain, then?
>>
>>8048505
Academia is the arbiter of all true knowledge.
>>8048505
>I can truthfully tell you that it is in a circle-jerking intellectual black hole at the moment.
Doesn't discredit metaphysics at all.
>>
>>8048350
If one examines neocultural appropriation, one is faced with a choice:
either accept Marxism or conclude that class, somewhat surprisingly, has
significance, but only if truth is distinct from sexuality; if that is not the
case, the purpose of the artist is deconstruction. The subject is
contextualised into a neocultural appropriation that includes culture as a
paradox. It could be said that an abundance of discourses concerning Marxism
exist.
>>
>>8048522
Not an argument Mr. Logic and Reason.
>>8048524
>Academia is the arbiter of all true knowledge.
Confirmed troll or genuine undergrad idiot.
>>
>>8048526
Where did I defend this hack in this thread?

Not once, in fact I have done little but do the opposite in my vehement stance against modern philosophy, of which Derrida is a part.

Within modern philosophy is contemporary philosophy, which the troll of the thread is arguing to be the only valid philosophy like the STEM sperg he is personifying
>>
>>8048527
>Confirmed troll or genuine undergrad idiot.
WAAHHHHH!! SOMEBODY SAID SOMETHING I DON'T AGREE WITH! HE MUST BE A TROLL OR AN IDIOT!!
>>
>>8048535
In the works of Joyce, a predominant concept is the distinction between
masculine and feminine. The subject is interpolated into a patriarchial
paradigm of context that includes truth as a whole. It could be said that
Sontag suggests the use of Marxism to modify and read class.
>>
y'all should fight IRL
>>
>>8048539
Exaggerating my claims is very logical of you Anon.
>>
>>8048535
>like the STEM sperg he is personifying

You're the only person here who works in "STEM", you sick fuck.
>>
>>8048547
You can have not even stepped foot into STEM and still perpetuate the STEM sperg ideal. It's similar to South America's NatSoc fetishism, or North America's Socialist fetishism.
>>
>>8048558
Stop shadowboxing your own demons and see a professional.
>>
>>8048527
Nearly all philosophical greats were academics.
>>
>>8048571
And why is that relevant?
>>
>>8048574
That shows that academia is where all the relevant philosophizing is done.
I doubt that some nobody on 4chan has more merit than all of academia.
>>
>>8048598
Are you even trying to not be fallacious or do you genuinely think 'relevant' has anything to do with quality?

Again, I tell you, that MODERN philosophy is the problem; it breeds your mindset and gives you a venom against any contrary set.

But you're a troll, so why listen when posting the same refuted nonsense over and over, perpetually, will entice a greater response than a semblance of originality?
>>
File: realmad.jpg (22KB, 638x359px) Image search: [Google]
realmad.jpg
22KB, 638x359px
>>8048514
This nigga knows what's up.

That other guy must be b8ing, though. Or else pic related. Either way, lol.
>>
>>8048615
>But you're a troll,
Says the person who thinks more than academic experts who define relevant and truthful philosophy.
>>
>>8048629
le nigga xdddddd

You don't know what I meant by 'trendy', either.
>>8048630
>academics define thing cuz i sed so becuz thats where lots make their living this is true becuz i sed so im right becuz they sed so
Why is it always the stupidest of the bourgeoisie that think themselves up to be some kind of elite surrounded by elite?
>>
>>8048644
>bourgeoisie
Opinion discarded
Pro-tip: knowledge does not belong to the people, but to the academic elites.
>>
>>8048655
>Pro-tip: knowledge does not belong to the people, but to the academic elites
According to who?

You, an illiterate shitposting on an anime imageboard?
>>
>>8048664
By looking at history
>>
>>8048675
>history is right becuz i sed so
>my interpretations are right becuz i sed so
>>
>>8048644
>>8048664
>>8048678
So, who are some philosophers working today who you think are good? Or are they all bad? What sorts of things do you work on? Where did you publish?
>>
>>8048690
The guy hates all philosophy published after 1450 (aka, modern philosophy).

Yeah, I know.
>>
>>8048690
>i was 'shown up' so ill bring up irrelevant things
Where did you have your first kiss? (assuming)
What was your favorite candy as a child?
>>8048699
I never said that. Leave /lit/ or learn to read.
>>
>>8047362
I've been studying philosophy for 24 years and I can assure you Derrida rose questions that poked holes in every other system
>>
>>8048678
They're right because academia said so
>>
>>8048706
fucking lel.

way to waste 24 yrs m8
>>
>>8048707
Why is academia right?

You're a very poor philosopher.
>>
>>8048704
>I never said that. Leave /lit/ or learn to read.

You have literally repeated over and over again that you hate modern philosophy. Can you not even keep track of your own troll at this point?
>>
>>8048722
>if you post thing i dont like your a troll
'modern' philosophy isn't modern (20th/21st century) philosophy.
>>
>>8048717
Because they've contributed more to philosophy than you.
>>
>>8048735
Why is that relevant or good or valid?

Modern philosophy is a cancer.
>>
>>8048738
Can you say anything about what your problem with it is? You have an audience of someone with a phd from a mainstream department who teaches at a very good department (by the standards of the profession) and who works a lot in the history of philosophy. So if you are serious can you say so
Eyeing about why you are upset with modern/contemporary philosophy?
>>
>>8048730
What?
>>
>>8048747
You don't have a PhD, though; stop flattering yourself.

I'm going to bed.
>>8048749
Philosophy in its modern state isn't recent philosophy or philosophy corresponding with modernism.
>>
>>8048704
Nah dude, only my 2nd post in the thread. Just curious.

But anyways, My first kiss, if I remember correctly, was on a school bus. And my favorite candy probably varied throughout my childhood, but I'd say Kit Kat bars were my favorite if I had to pick one.
>>
>>8048754
>Philosophy in its modern state isn't recent philosophy or philosophy corresponding with modernism.

Are you drunk?
>>
What happened to that SJW thread? I just posted a long comment that disappeared into the void.
>>
>>8048754
But I do, which would become clear if you just asked or said anything about philosophy.
>>
>>8048738
By definition it's relevant, moreso than you.
>>
>>8048758
Yes but that's beside the point, I explained myself well enough.

Philosophy, now, is not philosophy in general in its modern state; it is an element of the latter, the latter being distinct from 'ancient' philosophy' or whatever distinctions you want to use.
>>8048765
You don't, drop the pretense.
>>8048766
>its relevant because i like it
Nice insult Mr Logic and Reason

Goodnight
>>
>>8048747
you're a faggot cant you see
>>
>>8048760
It was deleted as obvious /pol/ bait
>>
File: le funny maymay.jpg (24KB, 396x360px) Image search: [Google]
le funny maymay.jpg
24KB, 396x360px
>It's another Eternal Recurrence of the Pleb thread
>>
File: 1456517406227.png (346KB, 1829x788px) Image search: [Google]
1456517406227.png
346KB, 1829x788px
>>8047362
>>
File: 1458831968941.png (120KB, 1177x437px) Image search: [Google]
1458831968941.png
120KB, 1177x437px
ITT
>>
>>8048116
Continental philosophy grapples with far more important ideas than the analytics can or care to.
>>
ITT: Freshmen that took one philosophy course
>>
>>8049178
That might be the dumbest post I've ever read on 4chan. Congratulations.
>>
>>8048978
Bizarre, given how many completely irrelevant and retarded threads are allowed to flourish here undeleted.
>>
>>8047362
Interesting how you didn't engage with even a single idea, argument or rhetorical figure from his actual philosophy.

Your points against Derrida et.al is completely reduced to biographical, institutional and affective anecdotes. Literally not ONE coherent point made.

This is the problem with all the "this or that academic field is literally unscientific autism". People don't know whit about what they are talking about and refuse to engage and actually understand the points made in the respective fields.

Go fuck yourself, is what I am trying to say to you.
>>
>>8047859
I can feel a revival coming at my uni. Really enjoying it, being surrounded by ghosts and shit all the time.
>>
>>8047362

How come you're putting Kant in the same category?
>>
>>8049284
It's pasta.
>>
>>8047362
>spend 10 years avoiding Derrida because I think he's some final boss of philosophy
>he was a literal meme retard

yeah nah i know who the literal fucking meme retard is

here is another meme for you, you meme spouting faggot

protip: the retard is (You)
>>
Derrida is the BEST!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roaPPVuH7aU
>>
>>8048069
hurry up with my fries
>>
Searle literally destroyed Derrida.
>>
>>8048407
I don't understand this picture, can you explain it?

What exactly happened and who are those people?
>>
>>8048419
>top 5 'analytic' department
?
>>
>>8049747
top 5 'analytic' department = top 5 philosophy department
>>
So wait, are you trying to tell me that Derrida is completely outdated and irrelevant in every respectable school/university/philosophy circle?

Why is he constantly talked about on /lit/?
>>
>>8049757
In the same way DFW is a complete fucking joke and no one knows or cares about him outside of this place.
>>
>>8049757
Because /lit/ is like Mecca for pseuds.
>>
>>8049751
this. i put 'analytic' in scare quotes because it's a pretty much meaningless term, but there are a lot of people on this board who are stuck in some weird culture wars from the 70's about how all the damn analytics are ruining philosophy because they actually do philsophy (including history and 'continental' stuff) instead of just jacking off about late-heidegger
>>
>>8049757
derrida is a dead paradigm

undergrads can't distinguish paradigm shifts from inertially floating husks, so they think any "impressive" husk must be a thing

derrida is Le Hard To Read Meme Man so it's assumed he's on some spectrum of philosophical enlightenment near the far end of Most Profound
>>
>>8049882
this
>>
>>8049882
>>8049886
Fuck off
>>
>>8049845
>IF I DONT LIKE IT IT ISN'T PHILOSOPHY
>'analytic'

I didn't realize assburgers was an element of analytic philosophy.
>>
>>8049899
>Fuck off
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>8049912
how do you get

>>IF I DONT LIKE IT IT ISN'T PHILOSOPHY
>>'analytic'

from what I said?
>>
>>8049913
He should have first defined the meaning of those words, otherwise all discussion is pointless because we can never be sure what he meant by that.
>>
>>8049926
>le différance
différance
différance

>>
>>8049947
IT MEANS LTIERALLY NOTHING

DERRIDA WAS A FUCKING HACK

HE WAS BEING OBSCURE FOR THE SAKE OF BEING OBSCURE

FUCK HIM
>>
>>8049912
How does Derrida's dick taste? You filthy fucking pleb.
>>
>>8049947
Language symbols aren't perfect representations of the thing they mean to represent, and to get more precise requires more language which just gets more obfuscation.

>Bird
>the bird i see is different from the one you see when i say "bird"
>blue bird
>what kind?
>tall blue bird
>how tall, how blue. real bird or figurative? statue?
>etc.

Derrida and the other pomohomos are just motte-and-bailey architects, taking statements that are obvious or uninteresting and couching them in language that makes them sound more profound than they are.

Kenneth Burke expressed everything worth reading in Derrida in three sentences
>“Men seek for vocabularies that are reflections of reality. To this end, they must develop vocabularies that are selections of reality. And any selection of reality must, in certain circumstances, function as a deflection of reality.”
>>
>>8049958
I've said several times in this thread that Derrida is a hack.

Learn to read.
>>
>>8049961
this is silly though, as you know.

M. Forster, as always, gets this shit right:

différance:

In its synchronic aspect, this is largely just a cryptic way of repeating Saussure's point that meaning only arises through a system of linguistic oppositions. In its diachronic aspect, it is largely just a cryptic way of repeating Gadamer's conception that meaning is something that only arises through an open-ended process of(re)interpretation. Derrida provides even less of an argument for this surely very counterintuitive conception than Gadamer does, however (and as we have seen, Gadamer's own arguments for it are woefully inadequate).
>>
>>8047362
If you guys want real good french philosophers from late 20th, go read Réné Girard and Michel Clouscard.

Those are the real respected philosophers from people who care about philosophy, not the self jerking crowd.
>>
>>8049951
différance is one of the most profound problems of existential semiotics

i'm so sorry you will forever be too stupid to understand it :(
>>
>>8049983
toppest of keks
>>
>>8049976
What about Deleuze?
>>
>>8049976
If you want good late twentieth century/contemporary french philosophy you should read Jocelyn Benoist or Vincent Descombes orJacques Bouveresse
>>
>>8049989
Nonsensical twaddle.
>>
>>8048176

Sometimes I forget why I come here and then I read a sentence like

>My nigga by all accounts Derrida was actually tsundere for Debord, who wanted nothing to do with him.
>>
>>8050025
Who are the good, interesting and logical philosophers then?
>>
>>8050072
of what era? what are you interested in?
>>
Of course this thread devolved into 'I hab phd ur lying', 'no u'. There is no other way. This is the one true way.
>>
We should adapt this pasta for all kinds of people. It's so irredeemably epic.
>>
>>8050077
the last 100 years
>>
>>8050080
it only applies to """quirky""" hacks such as derrida, wittgenstein, bolano and similar
>>
>>8050093
But Bolano is a novelist. Novelists are their own hack subclass, like McCarthYe, DFW and Joyce.
>>
>>8050088
most intersting philosophers from the last 100 years? apart from the one's everyone has heard of I would say (and some of these everyone will have heard of):

Elizabeth Anscombe
Wilfrid Sellars
Gareth Evans
Peter Strawson
Christine Korsgaard
Stanley Cavell
Jozeph Raz
John McDowell
Kit Fine
Donald Davidson
Allan Gibbard
John Haugeland
David Lewis
Phillipa Foot
i mean it's a huge list. how many names do you want? what are you interested in? what is your background?
>>
Philosophy has been in a coma since 1900. We could just as well scrap everything written since then. It isn't worth retaining.
>>
>>8050160
wew lad
>>
>>8050160
t. literature pro
>>
File: Nietzsche187c.jpg (2MB, 1956x2940px) Image search: [Google]
Nietzsche187c.jpg
2MB, 1956x2940px
>>8050166
>>8050175

Western philosophy died with Zarathustra

Kant, then Schopenhauer, then Nietzsche, then silence.

Since them there has been no serious philosophizing. Nothing but academic windbags and eccentric intellectuals spinning their humbug. Philosophy remains in a comatose state; the occasional seizure and spasm has not changed that.
>>
>>8050186
>Western philosophy died with Zarathustra

Kill yourself, you painfully retarded dumbshit.
>>
>>8050186
>this is how I know you don't know anything about philosophy at all

this is why you don't get invited to dinner parties, anon
>>
>>8050186
Usually people are embarrassed when they know nothing about what they are talking about. Not you though!
>>
>>8050195
>>8050197
>>8050201

>No greater mistake can be made than to imagine that what has been written latest is always the more correct; that what is written later on is an improvement on what was written previously; and that every change means progress. Men who think and have correct judgment, and people who treat their subject earnestly, are all exceptions only. Vermin is the rule everywhere in the world: it is always at hand and busily engaged in trying to improve in its own way upon the mature deliberations of the thinkers.
>>
>>8050148
I just wanted to see who is logical according to you, because you hate Derrida and Deleuze.

Now post the ones everyone has heard of.
>>
>>8047362
Was the Wittgenstein version of this posted the other day the first one of its kind or is this old pasta?
>>
>>8050256
what do you mean by 'logical'? Has arguments that and what not? the sort where if you take the premises to be true you should also take the conclusion to be true? or do you mean just not obviously inconsistent, or what? And you are confused about who you are talking to. I hate derrida, not deleuze. and even hate is way too strong, i just think he is uninteresting and derivative and a bad stylist.
>>
>>8050220
I don't think the best philosophy ever done is happening right now. I do think there is lots of good philosophy currently being produced.
>>
>>8047362
My teacher said that Derrida proved that writing is primordial.

>>
>>8048780
They're relevant because they've contributed, unlike you.
>>
>>8049899
Pseud detected
>>
>>8050078
The Continental pseud feared getting called out.
>>
>>8051172
who is the continental pseud you are referring to?
>>
>>8050220
Philosophy does have linear progression, retard.
>>8050256
>Now post the ones everyone has heard of.
You haven't heard of them, along with the rest of /lit/, because you're all pseuds who are too stupid to read them, so you resort to illogical gibberish that's easy to understand and circlejerk around it.
>>
>>8051176
The one who thought that Continental """Philosophy""" is real philosophy.
>>8049114
See >>8048116
>>
>>8051198
which one? im the one with a phd from a top phil department who thinks heidegger foucault adorno and merleu ponty are real philosophers. so me?
>>
I'm a philosophy major and it's a shame none of my professors give a fuck about Derrida, they barely mentioned him, they also almost completely avoided teaching about post-structuralism.

All of it was KANT KANT KANT and fucking KANT.

I envy all of you people for going to better universities.
>>
>>8051207
No the other who hates academia because he was too stupid to make it, but you should shoo shoo anyways.
>>
>>8051208
>All of it was KANT KANT KANT and fucking KANT.
As it should have been.
>>
>>8051212
>but you should shoo shoo anyways.
why?
>>
>>8051221
You're a meme.
>>
My waiter told me that Derrida proved that writing is primordial.

>>
My wife's son told me that Derrida proved that writing is primordial.

>>
My Uber driver told me that Derrida proved that writing is primordial.

>>
The barista at Stumptown Coffee Roasters told me that Derrida proved that writing is primordial.

>>
My Home-Economics instructor told me that Derrida proved that writing is primordial.

>>
An intern at n+1 told me that Derrida proved that writing is primordial.

What did she mean by this?
>>
File: 1462139513794.jpg (185KB, 600x797px) Image search: [Google]
1462139513794.jpg
185KB, 600x797px
>>8047362
All philosophy is bullshit, friend. It's literally a Greek party game to enjoy while getting your drink on.

If you started at the right place you'd know this.
>>
A certain redditor told me that Derrida proved that writing is primordial.

>>
My stepdaughter just finished her first year at Wellesley, and she told me that Derrida proved that writing is primordial.

>>
My neighbor has been watching a lecture serious on literary theory on youtube, and he told me that Derrida had proved that writing is primordial.

>>
My keyholder told me that Derrida proved that writing is primordial.

What did ze mean by this?
>>
Jeune ladette to me said: The ordeal is primo, dirty dad!

??
>>
I found a video of my ex-girlfriend at one of those 'casting couch' things, and she told the guy interviewing her that Derrida proved that writing is primordial.

>>
>>8051526
'Seminal' is what she said.
>>
>>8051531
'Arche-writing' is seminal.

>>
>>8051526
Is she the one that licked the black guy's asshole?
>>
>>8051556
You may not be the father.
>>
My wife has been taking a correspondence course on feminism and standpoint epistemology, and she sent me a text while out on a date last night that said 'Derrida proved that writing is primordial'.

>>
>>8051573
She is one of the ones, yes.

>>8051576
She never let me ejaculate in her presence, so I am fairly certain I am not the father. (My mother told me that the toilet-seat thing is a myth.)
>>
>>8048133
So you neither understand ancient Greek nor German. Get lost pleb.
>>
>>8048419
In angloville. However, it's called continental for a reason.
>>
>>8051582
Anyways, I believe your mother knows more about dissemination than she let on.
>>
>>8051611
because it's practiced at literature and and a handful of philosophy departments in the US, Canada, Australia and the UK? And by handful I mean like, maybe 20 in total?

Cause it's certainly not popular on the European continent.
>>
Mon ami jean-foutre de nuit debout qui n'a toujours pas compris que Soral a raison m'a dit que Derrida a prouvé qu'écrire est primordial.

Qu'a-t-il voulu signifier par-là ?
>>
In this vid Sargon and A graduate physicist talk about the origins of SJW, they talk about Derrida and other continentals.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kJXoesUf8g
>>
>>8051942
I don't say this lightly, but please kill yourself.
>>
>>8052055
No seriously tell me why?
What's your problem?
Because they're le pleby?
>>
>>8052055
What the fuck is your problem, dude?
>>
>>8052060
>>8052064
sargon, dude.

sargon.
>>
>>8052069
What's wrong with that?
Ok he's not patrician or anything but I don't see anything wrong with his positions.
Do you disagree with his stance on SJWs?
Are you one?
>>
>>8052075
I prefer SyrianGirlpartisan.
>>
File: I don't care.gif (424KB, 500x375px)
I don't care.gif
424KB, 500x375px
>structuralism
>>
i'm gay just like foucault
>>
>>8052075
lol sjw's are an invention autist.

there are less sjw's in the world than there are people who shitpost on 4chan and reddit and beg for money on patreon complaining about them.

ooooooh big scary teens with tumblr and 18 year olds who yelled at a breitbart talk.

fuck off and die dipshit. sargon is a fucking moron. i am really shocked how well having a british accent pays if you pander to gamergaters
>>
>>8052093
you're so bluepilled it's crazy.
SJWs are very few, that is correct but that's not the issue.
>>
>>8052149
what's the issue?

Is it jews? Are jews the issue?

How much money would you guess Israel spends on promoting interracial and cuckold porn a year?
>>
>>8052159
Are you not seeing how the west is crumbling?
Be honest, are you a regressive leftist?
>>
>>8052159
Hello brown person.
>>
File: 1463137971160.gif (370KB, 490x750px) Image search: [Google]
1463137971160.gif
370KB, 490x750px
I only listen to the good philosophers. Names likes Sargon, Molyneux, and Yiannopolous.
>>
>>8052224
>brown person is mad
>>
>>8052188
>>8052222

um...ya'll aren't real are you?
>>
>>8052093
You're so stupid.
Yes I'm mad.
You literally have no idea how clueless you are.
>>
>>8052093
>lol sjw's are an invention autist.
I've noticed that people who are sympathetic to SJW views often say this. I think it's because they realize that SJWs are a direct reflection of their own politics, and they don't like what that implies about themselves
>>
>>8052271
well then please inform me about le cultural marxism le jews unraveling western civilization le bilderberg group le diversity is white genocide
>>
>>8052279
dae le holocaust was fake but le jews had it coming?
>>
>>8052288
>>8052285
>>8052271
I see the problem now.
You're so deluded that you've put all the far-right conspiracy theories with the anti-SJW rhetoric.
You're pathetic.
>>
>>8052301
dae le mexico pay for it lel!!!
>>
>>8052288
>>8052313
>maybe if I talk like a baby on the internet, I'll prove them wrong!
It's ain't working so well, champ
>>
I seriously never understand people who deny that regressive leftism exists.
>>
>>8052323
>maybe if i talk like david duke i win le election
>>
>>8052331
>le this one tumblr i le read about on le 4chin said le whites were le bad and le men were le bad
>>
So since there are a lot of philosophy students in this thread, what are some good philosophers that you think more people should read about? I'm keeping a list
>>
>>8052362

foucault
>>
>>8047872
He was pre-split, and was addressed by both continentals and analytics.
>>
>>8052340
fucking nu-male
>>
>>8052362
what are you interested in?

But good stuff everyone should like even if they don't rlike technical stuff and are more literary etc:

Richard Moran: Authority and Estrangement: an Essay on Self-Knowledge

Stanley Cavell: Must we mean what we say?; The World Viewed

Jonathan Lear: Radical Hope: Ethics in the Face of Cultural Devestation; Open Minded: Working out the Logic of the Soul

Sam Scheffler: Death and the Afterlife

Bernard Williams: Ethics and the Limits of Philosophy

Robert Pippin: The Persistence of Subjectivity; Modernism as a Philosophical Problem

Nomy Arpaly: Unprincipled Virtue
>>
>>8052385
le brietbart le said le niggers and le sandniggers took le jobs
>>
>>8052410
ok you win.
>>
>>8052362
Aside from Derrida, you should check out these people (in chronological order).

Max Stirner
Gilles Deleuze
Jacques Lacan
Claude Levi-Strauss
Ferdinand de Saussure
Martin Heidegger
Edmund Husserl
Roland Barthes
Michel Foucault
Maurice Merleau-Ponty
>>
>>8052467
Why?
>>
>>8052439

foucault is one of the best starting places imo because he's very readable and his thoughts crop up like literally everywhere after him because they're so widely applicable
>>
>>8052362
Depends on what you're interested in, but here are some from the late 19th century to the present (gappy, unsystematic list):
Frege, Russell, Moore, Wittgenstin, Austin, Ramsey, Carnap, Quine, Anscombe, Davidson, Sellars, Kripke, Lewis, Tarski, Montague, Kaplan, Stalnaker, Grice, Putnam, Hempel, van Fraassen, Fodor, Sidgwick, Foot, Parfit, Scanlon, Williams, Nagel, Thomson, Dancy, Rawls, Nozick, Cohen, Fine, Brandom, McDowell, Williamson, Chalmers
>>
>>8052475
foucault was a gay homo fag and a mentally disturbed person
>>
>>8052471
le mexico le build le wall le pay for le wall le sandniggers le dont come le to le america le kikes le will be le killed le trump is le white savior
>>
>>8052510
What does Trump have to do with me recommending those philosophers to a fellow anon? Are you shitposting?
>>
>>8052515
le no
>>
>>8052515
just report it
>>
>>8052515
hey bosss: dw here

think this person might be JIDF or a shillary supporter. keeping my eyes open,

>>
>>8048223
>>8048247
>>8048277
>>8048284

The whole thread is painful to read, but this is just sad
>>
>>8052568
classic stirner apprentice
>>
>>8052362

This guy got a lot of them >>8052483

Here's my list, in chronological order:

Charles Sanders Peirce, Gottlob Frege, Pierre Duhem, Bertrand Russell, G.E. Moore, Ludwig Wittgenstein, Rudolf Carnap, Hans Reichenbach, Gilbert Ryle, Alfred Tarski, Ernest Nagel, Karl Popper, Frank Ramsey, Carl Hempel, Nelson Goodman, H.L.A. Hart, W.V.O. Quine, Alfred Jules Ayer, J.L. Austin, Wilfrid Sellars, Paul Grice, Roderick Chisholm, Donald Davidson, J.L. Mackie, P.F. Strawson, R.M. Hare, G.E.M. Anscombe, Philippa Foot, John Rawls, Thomas Kuhn, Imre Lakatos, Paul Feyerabend, Michael Dummett, Wesley C. Salmon, Hilary Putnam, David M. Armstrong, Richard C. Jeffrey, Bernard Williams, Alasdair MacIntyre, Harry Frankfurt, Jaakko Hintikka, Richard Rorty, Ronald Dworkin, Paul Benacerraf, John Searle, Fred Dretske, Alvin Plantinga, Ruth Millikan, Jaegwon Kim, Jerry Fodor, Ian Hacking, Thomas Nagel, Alvin Goldman, Robert Nozick, Gilbert Harman, Joseph Raz, Saul Kripke, Thomas Scanlon, David K. Lewis, Larry Laudan, Bas van Fraassen, Daniel Dennett, Paul Churchland, Derek Parfit, John McDowell, Alan Gibbard, Stephen Stich, Nancy Cartwright, Simon Blackburn, Peter Singer, Tyler Burge, Gareth Evans, Philip Kitcher, Martha Nussbaum, Elliott Sober, Robert Brandom, Christine Korsgaard, Michael Smith, Timothy Williamson, David Chalmers, Theodore Sider.
>>
>>8048284
he's fun to read though

sorry that you think all philosophy is supposed to be about uncovering truth
>>
File: image.jpg (52KB, 639x328px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52KB, 639x328px
Philosophy is so fucking gay.
You're literally just flashing gang signs and embodying prepackaged 'identities', and have no real interest in knowledge/learning/discovery of any kind, or producing anything of any value to anyone.
You paid-to-exist motherfuckers do this all shamelessly at public expense too.
This thread is ridiculous.
Supposing Nietzsche's poetry is more 'right' or correct than Kants poetry, who the fuck cares?
Can you use their conclusions to engineer sophisticated solutions to real world problems, like you can with scientific advancements?
No?
Then shut the fuck up or study something that isn't pointless.
Philosophy is for phags.
>>
File: 1463090453041.png (23KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
1463090453041.png
23KB, 625x626px
>>8052721
>>
>>8052721
OMG
HOW
DARE
YOU
>>
>>8052721
Why are you so mad? C- in your philosophy intro class bring your gpa down?
>>
>>8052721
*punches you*
>>
>>8052721
>flashing gang signs
kek'ed.
>>
File: 1433573455295.jpg (145KB, 942x581px) Image search: [Google]
1433573455295.jpg
145KB, 942x581px
>>8049744
>>
File: image.jpg (110KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
110KB, 540x960px
>>8052854
>psssh nothing personal kid...
Lmao.
I take it back anyway I forgot Derrida invented the multicore CPU and Kant ended world hunger by developing pest resistant GMO crops.
You buttmad guys are right philosophy definitely isn't a joke.
I'm sorry.
>>
>>8052973
philosophy invented science you faggot woman
>>
>>8052973
Apology accepted.
>>
>>8052985
>typewriters invented laptops.
No laptops evolved from typewriters, out of necessity, because typewriters are shit.
Retard.
>>
>>8052985
jesus you're completely retarded.
>>
>>8052985
He's not a scientist, he's an engineer, science's cousin what ain't so right in the head since he fell off that mule but can make durn near anythin with his hands.
>>
>>8053014
>sees word engineer used in general sense
>'dooooi poster are da engineer!'
When I think of retards like you and how smart you think you are it makes me sad.
You can't even read good.
>>
>>8053014
Engineering is like that backwoods mountain boy in the film 'Deliverance' -- dumb as a bag of hammers, but can play the banjo like a motherfucker.
>>
>>8052973
No computers without modern logic, no modern logic without philosophers.

Stop playing video games and read a book.
>>
>>8053006
that's what your mom said last night when i fucked her in the pussy

back to 9gag with your anime girlfriend
>>
>>8053014
>>8053055
Engineers need to master maths and stationary physics in order to do what they do. They are not simple builders. That's why engineering degrees are often longer/noticeably harder to pass than others at colleges.
To be a philosopher you just need to fit in with other philosophers and use the same buzzwords.
There is no logic, rigour, skill or discipline.
All you do is present opinions with no burden of proof on your theorising, and no paradigm conformity to ensure the work is cohesive with existing theories.
All you need to do to study philosophy in school is show up on time.
You're literally just a poet if you publish philosophy.
Don't talk down about other fields because you feel bad about yours.
That's not a mature or healthy way to deal with your failings.
Have you ever heard a sophisticated adult talk like you guys?
No.
You reek of jealousy.
It's gross and embarrassing.
>>
>>8053059
No computers without humans.
No humans without chimps.
Chimps invented computers.
I should be paid tax dollars to go to school for three years to become a chimp.
>>
File: lol.jpg (65KB, 773x1024px)
lol.jpg
65KB, 773x1024px
>>8052973
>>8053068
I fully agree with you about the significance and educational value of methodology as well as history and philosophy of science. So many people today—and even professional scientists—seem to me like somebody who has seen thousands of trees but has never seen a forest. A knowledge of the historic and philosophical background gives that kind of independence from prejudices of his generation from which most scientists are suffering. This independence created by philosophical insight is—in my opinion—the mark of distinction between a mere artisan or specialist and a real seeker after truth.
>>
>>8053068
>Don't talk down about other fields because you feel bad about yours.
>That's not a mature or healthy way to deal with your failings.
>You reek of jealousy.
>You reek of jealousy.
It's gross and embarrassing.It's gross and embarrassing.
>>
File: image.jpg (28KB, 384x384px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28KB, 384x384px
>>8053083
>philosophy is critical thought and what (I assume from pic) Einstein is talking about here.
Too bad IRL it's just a series of ideological cults/celebrity fandoms taken up by psychotic ego lords who would be asserting their 'superiority' based on musical taste, gang affiliation, race, or some other stupid reason, had they not found philosophy.
The culture of philosophy is a disease and is deliberately as devoid of critical thought as is possible.
Philosophy is pox on society and it needs to be stopped.
>>
>>8053096
>ignores every point
>only responds to insult
>parrots insult rather than attempts to make relevant one of own based on observation
This is what young people think arguing is now.
Lmao.
>>
>>8053075
>I should be paid tax dollars to go to school for three years to become a chimp.
If it only took three years to get you all the way up to chimp-level intelligence, I'd be happy for my taxes to pay for it.
>>
>>8053068
>Engineers need to master maths and stationary physics in order to do what they do.
So do philosophers - you epic fucking moron. You have no clue what philosophy even is, and yet you spew this horseshit? Kill yourself ASAP.
>>
>>8053116
>>8053122
Case in point.
The world is over.
>>
>>8053075
One reason to study philosophy is to avoid fallacious reasoning like this.
>>
>>8053126
Hahaha no they don't.
Also you're clearly unstable why should I respect your opinion?
Who gets this mad on 4chan lol.
Sad.
>>
>>8053138
>Hahaha no they don't.
Yeah they do, you ignorant pleb. Read a book some time. You might learn something.
>>
>>8053138
Just curious: what exposure to philosophy have you had? Taken any classes? Read any books or articles? Who are some philosophers working today who you take to be central figures in the field, but have produced nothing of value?
>>
>>8053132
>toss your iPhone 6 and take this Nokia brick
>'but my iPhone doesn't suck?'
>hurry durr fallacy durr me good and my mum says Nokia is cool therefore you are wrong
Philosophy vs science.
>>
>>8053139
>pleb
Nice posturing you insecure little twit.
How many intelligent people do you think are on 4chan getting in flame wars right now you big genius?
I've met your kind before and I've got your number buddy.
Your whole life is a series of memes because you're too scared to have an identity.
>>
>>8053145
I don't actually have any problem with philosophy at all I just like messing with people, but you seem reasonable so I won't be a dick.
I do believe though that if someone is intelligent enough to take an interest in something as esoteric and complex as the culture of philosophy then they probably should do something more valuable with their time.
It's all well and good if you want to talk about the non-cognitive nature of ethics, but how many mouths does that feed?
You can do whatever you want and don't owe anyone anything, but I'd like to think intelligent people are generally driven to make life better for themselves and others.
Why not be as efficient as possible about it?
>>
>>8053148
Your post was unintelligible codswallop. Get educated.
>>
>>8053159
Meet me at 14th and Minna, bitch boy. And bring a baggie for your teeth.
>>
>>8053186
>>8053187
I'm very clearly being a dick for lels.
Even if you're doing the same this is gay and you know it.
God damn zealots.
>>
>>8053195
>>8053187
Take that back about this guy.
You're hilarious and 'bitch boy' is a hilarious insult.
>>
>>8053177
I agree that we should aim to make others' lives better. And I've had serious doubts that it's morally acceptable for me to go into philosophy instead of doing something that would help a lot more people in a more direct way (say, by going into banking, making a shit ton of money and donating almost all of it, a la the earning to give effective altruist people). That said, hardly anyone thinks that, assuming we do some modest amount of good (I donate a fixed portion of my income) and don't do much harm, we are still obligated keep producing as much good as possible, even if it means giving up pursuing what we're most interested in. (And those that do think that are usually too akratic to follow their own principles fully). Moreover, I think philosophical research and teaching does have real, and, at least in some cases, a great deal of value.

Let's grant we want to devote a lot of our effort to making life better. We still don't have a very well-developed understanding of certain potentially very important issues which would have a big effect on how to allocate resources and effort. E.g., should we devote huge amounts to make tiny reductions to existential risk? Should we value animal welfare as much as human? Is a big population of pretty good lives better than a much smaller population of very good lives? Someone needs to figure out what the best answers are to these questions, and it's pretty clear that they're the sorts of thing that philosophical training and research can help us answer.

I also think that the sort of understanding of various important issues that philosophy (and highly theoretical science) can afford is valuable in itself, and I'm happy that we live in a society that has enough extra resources to allow its pursuit for its own sake. And I'm really happy that I might get to pursue it.

And I do think that sometimes theoretical advances from philosophers (and scientists) pursuing this stuff out of mere curiosity leads to big practical payoffs way down the line. Pretty frequently philosophers make important contributions to the development of young disciplines, and these sometimes turn out to be pretty fruitful.

So is philosophy the absolute best thing to be doing? Probably not, but I think it's pretty good.
Certainly better than wasting time on 4chan, as we're currently doing...
>>
>cultural marxism, SJW, Feminism
Grow up, it's just a dozen of teens posting stupid vids on yt.
>>
>>8053068
no you're wrong. there's no proof
>>
>>8053111
There's a reason no one can name three engineers that have changed the human position in the world as profoundly as a single philosopher.

It's dishonest to say all the bad philosophers are representative of philosophy and all the good engineers are representative of engineering. But since you hate philosophy I don't expect you to know the basic principles of rational argument.
>>
>>8050000
>>
Since no one has succeeded in showing me what I'm missing, we're left with the second option: I'm just incapable of understanding. I'm certainly willing to grant that it may be true, though I'm afraid I'll have to remain suspicious, for what seem good reasons. There are lots of things I don't understand -- say, the latest debates over whether neutrinos have mass or the way that Fermat's last theorem was (apparently) proven recently. But from 50 years in this game, I have learned two things: (1) I can ask friends who work in these areas to explain it to me at a level that I can understand, and they can do so, without particular difficulty; (2) if I'm interested, I can proceed to learn more so that I will come to understand it. Now Derrida, Lacan, Lyotard, Kristeva, etc. --- even Foucault, whom I knew and liked, and who was somewhat different from the rest --- write things that I also don't understand, but (1) and (2) don't hold: no one who says they do understand can explain it to me and I haven't a clue as to how to proceed to overcome my failures. That leaves one of two possibilities: (a) some new advance in intellectual life has been made, perhaps some sudden genetic mutation, which has created a form of "theory" that is beyond quantum theory, topology, etc., in depth and profundity; or (b) ... I won't spell it out.
>>
>>8054307
Amen.
Thread posts: 345
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.