[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>thinking your "big ideas" can in any way make up

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: nabokov.jpg (56KB, 500x626px) Image search: [Google]
nabokov.jpg
56KB, 500x626px
>thinking your "big ideas" can in any way make up for your shitty writing

Nabokov was so fucking right about everything.
>>
Except Faulkner. He was just butthurt that Faulkner exceeded him as a writer in every way possible.
>>
>>7976210
>He was just butthurt that Faulkner exceeded him as a writer in every way possible.

Not in poetic prose. Nabokov knew how to write metaphors, but Faulkner couldn’t do it.

And Lolita is a better book than anything by Faulkner, and will survive longer in the minds of readers and the general public.
>>
>>7976245
And that is the immortality you and I may share
>>
>>7976245
That's entirely due to the movie.
>>
>>7976245

Lolita's only well known because lol pedophilia. Pale Fire is Nabokov's only masterpiece, and even it doesn't stand up to Faulkner's best novels.
>>
Does context mean anything to you people?
>>
>>7976265
triggered
>>
>>7976253
>And that is the immortality you and I may share

that ending sentence is beautiful
>>
>>7976257
Maybe.
>>
>>7976100
all i know is infinite jest has a lot of ideas and it was boring as hell. write some essays if they are so solid, but dont mix your shit up in fiction if you cant write
>>
>taking Nabokov literary

not contesting everything he says just like in the books he writes
>>
>Nabodrones
Is there a more desperate bunch of tryhards on /lit/?
>>
File: Fyodor-Dostoyevsky1.jpg (107KB, 495x435px) Image search: [Google]
Fyodor-Dostoyevsky1.jpg
107KB, 495x435px
Whatever you say, vladdie laddie. You're the one that needs to be an authority.
>>
>thinking your "beautiful descriptions" can in any way make up for your lack of ideas
>>
>tfw your good writing can't make up for having no ideas

Would anybody be interested in reading a novel made up of just long descriptive passages and maybe a tiny bit of plot?
>>
>>7976468
I doubt you could find a better example of a writer whose ideas are let down by dry, lifeless prose. OP is wrong, by the way. Nabokov did have ideas; his novels are not just exercises in style, though his ideas are not in your face obvious like they are with writers of lesser talent.
>>
>>7976576
Yes? I couldn't give a fuck less about what time Greg Berrycone went to the store, or that his Aunt was the first female CEO of a long family owned local steel mill.
>>
>>7976100
Can't imagine this closet homosexual ever doing something manly like boxing. Overrated fluff sucking Henry James' cock.
>>
>>7976576
>>7976626
Why not just read non-fiction, then?
>>
>>7977811
Because it might make me utterly braindead like you.
>>
>>7977798

I'm not even gay, but do you really think homosexuality and manliness are mutually exclusive?

Oh, you must be shitposting. Carry on, then.
>>
>>7977798
He called James a 'pale porpoise' and certainly not a genius.
>>
Nabokov excelled in metaphysical fiction, and used the shocking 'extremities' of sociological norms to ground his meta plots.

Faulkner was able to evoke powerful emotional responses, with and without observing sociological extremities, with simpler plots and characters, but no less beautiful prose.

Both men were masters, let's just leave it at that.
>>
>>7977854
I think Walt Whitman was pretty manly, but I would hardly demean him by calling him a closet homosexual or a faggot like I would with Nabokov.

>>7977868
>didn't catch the anxiety of influence
Just a faggot getting catty like a bitch, nigger.

God, you /lit/eratti are fucking insensitive with your implying. It's like you don't even respect anyone's opinion. Fucking edgelords. Better thump your Walter Benjamin some more at your favorite starbucks.
>>
>>7976596
>I doubt you could find a better example of a writer whose ideas are let down by dry, lifeless prose.
And yet he's still more read than Nabokov.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.