[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's your favorite quote and from whom is it ? >Author,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 8

File: 2.jpg (128KB, 728x546px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
128KB, 728x546px
What's your favorite quote and from whom is it ?
>Author, Date, Book or source required !
>>
>>7934909
"Where there's a goat there's a farm."
-Galvin Steucemire, The Secret Life of Steuce (1906)
>>
>>7934909
"It has occurred to me through my vast exploration of concessions that indeed fluid cheese is the best cheese."
-Timothy Bressua, Coming to the Land (2008)
>>
''In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence '' - Aalewis, r/atheism.
>>
File: tumblr_n5vs97b1Lc1qmbvrgo1_1280.jpg (314KB, 869x1265px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n5vs97b1Lc1qmbvrgo1_1280.jpg
314KB, 869x1265px
>No single, individual moment is in and of itself unendurable.
-David Foster Wallace, Infinite Jest (1996)
>>
>>7934909
"Who farted?"
-Anon
>>
>Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy. As long as the Sun, the Moon, and the Earth exist, everything will be all right.

-Yui Ikari, End of Evangelion
>>
>>7935241
>babby's first existential crisis: whiny little bitch edition
>>
>>7935247
Post your quote
>>
>>7935201
>the sad, poignant irony
>>
File: hemingonethewaytogettingfat.jpg (538KB, 1752x2376px) Image search: [Google]
hemingonethewaytogettingfat.jpg
538KB, 1752x2376px
"Fuck literature"
- Ernest Hemingway, Selected Letters 1917-1961 pg 113
>>
"o woe is me o woe is me
I used to have a hamster tree
but it got eaten by a newt
and now I have no cuddly fruit"
-cliver barker, abarat
>>
“And I asked myself about the present: how wide it was, how deep it was, how much was mine to keep.” ― Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-Five
>>
>Ars adeo latet arte sua

Ovid, Metamorphoses X.252
>>
File: william-gass-4.jpg (69KB, 470x269px) Image search: [Google]
william-gass-4.jpg
69KB, 470x269px
That's how my smile would be, see the rotten spindles? if for the briefest bit of blessed time. I--my habitually helpless hand--once--once--just once--held the whip.

William Gass, The Tunnel.
>>
>>7935304
edgy
>>
>>7934909
Nietzsche's quote of the abyss.
>>
"Turn away no more:
Why wilt thou turn away"

William Blake's Preface to Songs of Experience.
>>
"My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong place" - Winnie the Pooh
>>
My love involves the love before;
My love is vaster passion now;
Tho' mixt with God and Nature thou,
I seem to love thee more and more.

Far off thou art, but ever nigh;
I have thee still, and I rejoice;
I prosper, circled with thy voice;
I shall not lose thee tho' I die.

(Tennyson)
>>
>>7935201
>The library, and step on it.
-David Foster Wallace, Infinite Jest (1996)
>>
>>7937432
Why do people like this quote anyway? Its cheeky but its always noted as one of the best from IJ.
>>
>>7938046

It's a meme.
>>
>>7938198
I don't mean just people on /lit/ though.
>>
"I have wrestled with death. It's the most unexciting contest you can imagine. It takes place in an impalpable greyness, with nothing underfoot, with nothing around, without spectators, without clamour, without glory, without the great desire of victory, without the great fear of defeat, in a sickly atmosphere of tepid skepticism, without much belief in your own right, and still less in that of your adversary." (3.48)

Heart of Darkness, Joseph Conrad
>>
>I will show you fear in a handful of dust

Quite meme-tier, but it's actually an incredibly powerful line, given the context.
>>
File: Bl7rVw1CYAALFNI.jpg (33KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
Bl7rVw1CYAALFNI.jpg
33KB, 480x640px
"Fear is the mind killer"

herbert/dune/60's
>>
>"One must learn to love.— This is what happens to us in music: first one has to learn to hear a figure and melody at all, to detect and distinguish it, to isolate it and delimit it as a separate life; then it requires some exertion and good will to tolerate it in spite of its strangeness, to be patient with its appearance and expression, and kindhearted about its oddity:—finally there comes a moment when we are used to it, when we wait for it, when we sense that we should miss it if it were missing: and now it continues to compel and enchant us relentlessly until we have become its humble and enraptured lovers who desire nothing better from the world than it and only it.— But that is what happens to us not only in music: that is how we have learned to love all things that we now love. In the end we are always rewarded for our good will, our patience, fairmindedness, and gentleness with what is strange; gradually, it sheds its veil and turns out to be a new and indescribable beauty:—that is its thanks for our hospitality. Even those who love themselves will have learned it in this way: for there is no other way. Love, too, has to be learned.” - Nietzsche

This and 1st Corinthians 13 are the ones that affect me the most, which I guess is kind of funny.
>>
>>7938046
>one of the best
I don't think they're seriously pointing out as one of the best lines. It's just one of the most hilariously egregulous things Hal said in his little monologue, y'know, at the very start of the book.
>>
"A screathing jumps accross the sky..."
-Thomas Pynchon, Gravity Rainbows
>>
"A screaming, it comes"
-thomson pinecone, gravital rainbow
>>
>>7937432
Didn't George Carlin make this joke? I could swear I remember his voice saying it
>>
>>7938288
What's that originally from? I know it from the Phineas Poe trilogy, but I'm guessing it's not from there.
>>
>>7934909
"I wish my cheeks hap penises"
-Paper Towns
>>
"The famous man looked at the red cup"

-Dan Brown, The Morse Code.
>>
File: mfw.jpg (45KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
mfw.jpg
45KB, 600x400px
>>7934909
>and from whom is it ?

UUUUUGGGGHHHHH
>>
"What if everything is an illusion and nothing really exists? In that case, I definitely overpaid for my carpet." -Woody Allen, don't remember what it's from
>>
it is all poverty and filth and wretched contentment
>>
"not that you may remember time, but that you might forget it now and then for a moment and not spend all of your breath trying to conquer it. Because no battle is ever won he said. They are not even fought. The field only reveals to man his own folly and despair, and victory is an illusion of philosophers and fools." - William Faulkner, The Sound and the Fury

Based Quentin's section
>>
>>7938484
Excellent quote
>>
>>7940195
>"deep" question
>witty and mundane answer
It's alwalys the same fucking format
Literally worthless
>>
>>7941379
other way around you goat fucker
>>
File: 1460326366027.gif (3MB, 359x202px) Image search: [Google]
1460326366027.gif
3MB, 359x202px
>>7941390
>>
>>7934909
The mind is its own place, and in itself, can make Heaven of Hell, and Hell of Heaven. Milton, Paradise Lost.
>>
>>7940162
The Waste Land
>>
Nothing is an absolute reality, all is permitted - Vladimir Bartol, Alamut (1938)
>>
I do not want them, Sam I Am.
>>
Doth the blind eye know it blinketh?
>>
"What's burning a city, compared to tearing the lid off hell and letting men see it." A.R. Atlas shrugged... Not a favorite just enjoyed it.
>>
maybe that mason and dixon part about the stars being points in an equation for god
>>
Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. - Our Lord Jesus Christ
>>
>Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.
(Ecclesiastes 9:10)
>>
"For we are like tree trunks in the snow. In appearance they lie sleekly and a little push should be enough to set them rolling. No, it can't be done, for they are firmly wedded to the ground. But see, even that is only appearance."
-- Franz Kafka, Contemplation (Betrachtung), 1912
>>
"What I wanted was to die amongst strangers, untroubled, beneath a cloudless sky."
- Yukio Mishima, Confessions of a Mask
>>
>>7943153
"What baffles me is the comfort people find in the idea that somebody dealt this mess. Blind and meaningless chance seems to me so much more congenial - or at least less horrible. Prove to me that there is a God and I will really begin to despair." -- Peter De Vries
>>
>>7943257

embarrassing.
>>
>>7943273
Projecting again?
>>
File: b,.png (607KB, 507x751px) Image search: [Google]
b,.png
607KB, 507x751px
>“A legion of horribles, hundreds in number, half naked or clad in costumes attic or biblical or wardrobed out of a fevered dream with the skins of animals and silk finery and pieces of uniform still tracked with the blood of prior owners, coats of slain dragoons, frogged and braided cavalry jackets, one in a stovepipe hat and one with an umbrella and one in white stockings and a bloodstained wedding veil and some in headgear or cranefeathers or rawhide helmets that bore the horns of bull or buffalo and one in a pigeontailed coat worn backwards and otherwise naked and one in the armor of a Spanish conquistador, the breastplate and pauldrons deeply dented with old blows of mace or sabre done in another country by men whose very bones were dust and many with their braids spliced up with the hair of other beasts until they trailed upon the ground and their horses' ears and tails worked with bits of brightly colored cloth and one whose horse's whole head was painted crimson red and all the horsemen's faces gaudy and grotesque with daubings like a company of mounted clowns, death hilarious, all howling in a barbarous tongue and riding down upon them like a horde from a hell more horrible yet than the brimstone land of Christian reckoning, screeching and yammering and clothed in smoke like those vaporous beings in regions beyond right knowing where the eye wanders and the lip jerks and drools.”

So insane and terrifying and vivid.
>>
>>7943257
You don't think the message that verse sends is beautiful? you completely disregard it just because "le god isn't rael"?
>>
>>7942705
Thanks for the answer.
>>
>>7943249
EdgeBot 3000
>>
>>7943243
I will remember this. Thanks.
>>
>>7943402
What the fuck are you even talking about?
>>
Another top tier Kafka one:
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.”
-- Franz Kafka, The Zürau Aphorisms, 1916-8
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.