[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is reading literature shoved down my throat by lit and the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: PepeTheFrogEnough04.jpg (55KB, 604x517px) Image search: [Google]
PepeTheFrogEnough04.jpg
55KB, 604x517px
Why is reading literature shoved down my throat by lit and the media and "educated society" as something I have to do or else I'm a stupid and bad person? It seems like a marketing gimmick to me. If I sat and read all day then I'd have no money. But society wants me to use my limited free time to read while telling me that it makes me a more valuable person.

As if "muh human condition" has to be learnt from books written by the same sections of society (the ones with access to the media-publishing-academia industrial complex. (inb4 /lit/ moves the goalposts about why they read books)

It seems like a big scam to me. lit is a bunch of delusional people who want to venerate literature and publishing companies either to gain pseudo intellectual cred or in the vain hope that they'll be published one day.

Also many novels are exercises in narcissism or self indulgence by the author. But because it's packaged and distributed by a publisher then I am supposed to care or else I'm dumb. What if I don't give a shit about Dostoevsky's spiritual or moral views? Hume already showed that none of it is based on logic (see the Münchhausen trilemma). Anyone can choose the axioms they want.
>>
>>7899470
Here's your reply.
>>
>>7899470
Just read non-fiction about things that help you with your career, help society, or are interesting.

Fiction is entertainment and entertainment is a waste of time.
>>
kill you are self thanks
>>
>>7899473
what they said. stick to non-fiction.
>>
Nobody is forcing you to read. Depending on what you value, you may never have to pick up a book in your life.
>>
too many words. i don't come to /lit/ to read
>>
File: 1455638133940.jpg (136KB, 495x283px) Image search: [Google]
1455638133940.jpg
136KB, 495x283px
>>
'Evil resides in the very gaze which perceives Evil all around itself.'
>>
>>7899470
>münchhausen trilemma
you might want to lok at agrippas "tropes" and goedels "satz".
>>
>>7899470
also:
>Anyone can choose the axioms they want.
is not really a provable sentence.
>>
File: WolfPaint.png (736KB, 1261x459px) Image search: [Google]
WolfPaint.png
736KB, 1261x459px
>>7899473
I read nonfiction to gain something, but I use fiction as a way to wind down at the day's end and drift off to sleep. Both have their uses
>>
>>7899697

Of course it's not provable and nothing is provable and we cannot know nuthin but tell that to mountains of academic philosophy. It's only used as a stick to beat critics of philosophy / certain philosophical views. As soon as the critics go away, the philosophers like Zizek get straight back to masturbation and rent seeking
>>
>>7899681
A variation of 'if you think everyone around you is an asshole, maybe you're the asshole'
>>
>>7899470
You're right.

>but if you aren't using other's words to develop a better sense of things I'd hope you put some serious time into your own

The fact is that most people don't think at all if they can help it and literature can give them a means to focus their thoughts, even if they don't really say anything. If you're spending regular time in your day contemplating the nature of life and all that good shit then I don't see why you'd need to read except to impress people.
>>
>>7899470
>muh human condition
>this n-word hasn't read Malraux and talks shit
shameful famalam
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.