[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I was in the bookstore the other day and I was looking to pick

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

I was in the bookstore the other day and I was looking to pick up some books. I saw some Dostoevsky and Tolstoy that I intended to get, but I realized I didn't know the best translations for them, so I ended up only buying some books that were written in English.

I'm making this thread now to clarify what the best translators are for books of all kinds, not just Russians. I always see threads for individual books but I figured why not knock any questions out in one big thread.
>>
Invest time in learning the language. Will make the reading experience much better, as the nuance often gets translated away. Meanwhile read english literature.
>>
>>7896564
Only read books composed in your native tongue. Anything else is treason.
>>
Richard Peaver and Larissa Volokhonsky for Dostoevsky
>>
>>7896564
Dostoevsky:
- Crime & Punishment: Oliver Ready
- Brothers K: McDuff

Tolstoy:
- Anna K: Constance Garnett, revised by Leonard J. Kent and Nina Berberova
- War & Peace: Louise and Aylmer Maude, with Amy Mandelker

Avoid P&V like the plague.
>>
>>7897268

I'm reading McDuff for C&P now, and I'm weary of picking anything else up. It's pretty stilted British English at times. Not bad at all, just not great. Will look into Ready, though.

As for Tolstoy, I don't see much reason to go with anybody except the Maudes.
>>
>>7897245
might as well just run the books through google translate
>>
>>7896564
just read revised Garnett for TOLSTOY AND CHEKKY AND TURGY

not complicated. the rest is marketing. P&V are okay the rest are okay
>>
>>7897235
That's bullshit. Good & 'faithfull' translations do exist. How true it is - or can be - to the original depends on the original writing of course. Translating poetry faithfully might be impossible in some cases, but general fiction certainly can.
>>
>>7896564
What to expect in this thread:
-biased opinions based on only one translation read
- biased opinions based on memes
- biased opinions by people that don't know Russian
- biased opinions based on online articles read
>>
>>7897542
You forgot biased opinions based on nothing/shitposting.
>>
>>7897195
so how many languages do you speak such that you can understand any nuances better than a professional literary translator?

most people cant speak more than three languages at such fluency. thats seems a bit limiting
>>
I read Constance Garnett for The Idiot and C&P and possibly Notes from Underground but I'm not sure - I was impressed really, the writing captured the tone of that period of time but sometimes it was a bit clunky in terms of dialogue. I read Magharshak (I'm guessing that's how you spell it) for Demons and found it excellent. Although then again i don't speak Russian so i have nothing to compare with.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.