[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does /lit/ care about movie adaptations? And the black casti

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

File: the-dark-tower-by-stephen-king.jpg (85KB, 500x440px) Image search: [Google]
the-dark-tower-by-stephen-king.jpg
85KB, 500x440px
Does /lit/ care about movie adaptations?
And the black casting of Roland from the dark tower series?

https://www.change.org/p/https-twitter-com-stephenking-https-twitter-com-realronhoward-https-twitter-com-sonypictures-idris-elba-should-not-play-roland-in-the-dark-tower
>>
>>7865923
No, fuck off, /polTV/. Stephen King isn't /lit/.
>>
>>7865939
No, why not? his writing is generally good
>>
Outrageous tbqhh. So the crusade against the white race continues.
The west is finished, let it fall DEUS VULT
>>
>>7865948
He writes genre fiction so you're not allowed to post about him on this board without being lambasted by dull Harold Bloom wannabes.
>>
No, I don't give a shit if the director has a different vision of a character than the writer because film is a different fucking medium than prose. Now go back to stormfront and bitch there.
>>
Of you like the books then read the books, the movies surely won't be better as it's impossible they will even include everything.
>>
>>7866210
It's a problem though, when the colour of the chraracter is intrinsic to the plot

It's like argueing the protagonist from 20 years a slave could have been white because it's a different medium
>>
>>7866219
LOTR movies were actually good
>>
>>7866229
bad example you should've argued that Dostoyevsky's notes from the underground protagonist whos name escapes me, could be black in a movie adaptation
>>
>>7866236
because you seen them when you were 12. I tried rewatching it again and I thought it was pretty bad
>>
>>7866279
What changed your mind?
>>
it's not a choice i would have made (i always imagined hugh jackman, honestly) but elba's a skilled actor and i think he could pull off the stoicism and determination that characterizes roland
>>7866229
i wouldn't describe it as "intrinsic" to the plot besides his eye color and the comparisons to the man with no name and honestly i think elba could pull off an eastwood vibe regardless of his skin color
but there is the whole dynamic with odetta/detta that will have to be reimagined
>>
>>7866537
Remember "The Drawing of the Three"? where Rolands race played a major role with his interactions with Detta and budding friendship with Eddie?
>>
>>7866104
Stephen King appeals to autistic gradeschooler faggots.
>>
>>7866547
yeah you might have noticed that i literally wrote "there is the whole dynamic with odetta/detta that will have to be reimagined" in my post
but that's a small section of a short book of the series that'll probably be abridged to hell anyway because they're for sure not going to do a scene for scene adaptation. if they need to change how susannah comes about, it isn't going to destroy the integrity of the adaptation.
and i don't remember much between eddie and roland that focused on race besides the eye color.
>>
>>7866563
you can tell this guy started with the greeks
>>
>>7866570
Nope. Started with regular shit books shilled in primary school. It's normal to realize how shitty the stuff they hock at kids, lol. King faggots will never realize how stupid they are.
>>
>>7866646
the vast majority of normies never transition to proper literature
it's sadly far from normal
>>
>>7866646

I can read King, Joyce, Borges and enjoy them all, because I'm not a tryhard Internet clown
>>
>>7866667
>I enjoy the finer things. Anime, indie games, KPop, classical, and literature.

kek
>>
>>7866693

You wrote two memes
>>
>>7866547
Yeah but it gets totally resolved at the end of that book, it's not important in the long-term. The adaptation will be heavily abridged anyway.
>>
>And the black casting of Roland from the dark tower series?
Who gives a shit? It doesn't affect the plot in a meaningful way. I'd be more concerned with it being a shit adaptation. It's just genre fiction though so who cares.
>>
>>7866279

Then please sir, help me out. >>7866243
>>
>>7865923
>blackie gonna ruin muh shitty genre fiction movie
Idris Elba is one of the best actors in the business right now
This is such a fucking stupid post
>>
>>7866563
>>7866646
Thank you for letting us all know how advanced and refined your literary tastes are. Your need for validation from internet strangers is a sure sign of emotional maturity.
>>
>>7867921
So why not cast him as a woman? is acting talent is all that matters?

Why not have the lord of the rings cast as all female and all black? if all that matters ia acting ability
>>
>>7867342
"Totally resolved"
> doesn't understand character arcs
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.