[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>and but so >and but then >and but then when >but

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: image.png (90KB, 214x306px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
90KB, 214x306px
>and but so
>and but then
>and but then when
>but so but then so
>so and but that
>yes and but
>and so and but so
>but and so and but
>so then but so
>but so but then
>and so but since
>and but so why

what's the deal with these?
>>
He said something about them being extended conjunctions as would be used in conversations, so that using them would give the work a sort of conversational/colloquial tone, but that doesn't quite make sense, does it, because no one, in normal conversation, uses stuff like that, when it's just back and forth trivialities, but if you notice, you can see them all being used by comedians in their standup.
>>
>>7865628
I think they would be used when one is trying to formulate perfectly, or nuance his speech. In that regard they show a kind of insecurity (that dfw himself seemed to hold as well).
>>
#RAREWALLACE

That's the most flattering picture I've seen of him
>>
File: image.jpg (15KB, 268x288px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
15KB, 268x288px
>>7865617
Did he fake his death to become an actor?
>>
>>7865715
looks nothing alike you autist
>>
>>7865730
>implying those aren't the same puppy dog eyes
>>
>>7865715
is its always sunny new sincerity?
>>
>>7865715

I always thought he looked like a cross between Rob and a young David Cross.
>>
>>7865628
Of course regular people don't do it all the time; it's stylized.

I definitely got that vibe when I read it, so, at least as far as I'm concerned, he succeeded.
>>
>>7865732
>>7865742
i guess the eyes i see it.. but he dont got that DFW jaw
>>
he literally only says 'and but so' twice in the entire book you huge fucking faggot.
>>
>>7866417
"To be or not to be" is only said once
>>
File: 234.jpg (100KB, 956x704px) Image search: [Google]
234.jpg
100KB, 956x704px
>dfw dfw didn't live to see the age of dave posting
>>
>>7866440
nu uh you just said it so that's at least twice
>>
>>7866417
everything in greentext in the OP is a direct quote from the book. i didn't make them up myself.
>>
they are called conjunctions and Daves writing style was kind of comic and casual but still easy to connect with.
>>
>>7865628
you have to kind of imagine as if he is telling a story and skipping to different points at times. I never even noticed them until /lit/ started pointing them out
>>
>>7865617
Conjunctions, like any other word, occupy specific semantic categories. One extended conjunction you probably use daily is "and so". One more common to a religious setting is "and also". Those used by Wallace are less common in regular speech and writing, and but are still more or less correct and are also excellent stylistic markers.

"And" is just a way to signify that the preceding and following words, terms, phrases, or clauses are directly related, either chronologically or categorically, and so "A and B" would mean that there is some distinctive relation between A and B or they might be part of a list or B might happen immediately after A, whatever.
"But" implies contradiction. "A but B" indicates that something about B contravenes, contradicts, or lends a new perspective to A.
"So" is used to mark consequence in either direction. "I shitposted so I was banned,"; "I went drinking and driving, so I crashed."

Keep in mind that when "but" or "so" are used, they do not always imply chronology, so "and" is often used to indicate the first item happening before the second.

And so, let's examine a passage from IJ, page 959: "I'm wanting to light my cunt of a sister up so bad I can't hardly see to get the truck off the lawn and leave. But and so and but so I'm driving home, and I'm so mad I all of sudden try and pray."
"I'm wanting to light my cunt of a sister up so bad I can't hardly see to get the truck off the lawn and leave" is directly contradicted by "I'm driving home". The first sentence also leads us into "I'm so mad," and the finale of the sentence, which both contradicts and is caused by the first" "I all of a sudden try and pray." Cut down into six sentences:
"I'm wanting to light my cunt of a sister up so bad I can't hardly see to get the truck off the lawn and leave. But I'm driving home. I'm wanting to light my cunt of a sister up so bad I can't hardly see to get the truck of the lawn and leave. So I'm so mad. I'm wanting to light my cunt of a sister up so bad I can't hardly see to get the truck off the lawn and leave. But so I all of a sudden try and pray." But that's too many sentences, and so better cut it down to two.

Make sense?
>>
>>7865715
cant be unseen.
>>7865817
its in the mouth and hairline as well.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.