[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What philosophical believes do most sciencekins follow? Logical

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: Bill-Nye-Science-Guy-Selfie.jpg (228KB, 715x340px) Image search: [Google]
Bill-Nye-Science-Guy-Selfie.jpg
228KB, 715x340px
What philosophical believes do most sciencekins follow?

Logical positivism seems to be outdated in their community is there something that replaced it?
>>
File: Billy-Template.png (177KB, 715x340px) Image search: [Google]
Billy-Template.png
177KB, 715x340px
template
>>
> Implying the average scientist even recognizes philosophical problems as meaningful
> Implying they aren't just uncritical technicians of inherited systems when it comes right down to it
>>
>>7850745
naive scientism is pretty widespread among the fedora tippers, but actual scientists are somewhat more likely to have a more nuanced understanding of philosophy of science, but there's lots of variation
>>
>Implying STEMfags can get into philosophy.
>>
File: 11fsjb.jpg (101KB, 1000x474px) Image search: [Google]
11fsjb.jpg
101KB, 1000x474px
>>7850745
DEVILISH
E
V
l
L
I
S
H
>>
probably fallibilism
>>
>>7850745
Science has been twisted in favor of any number of philosophical and theological predispositions. Especially the "Sciences" that use statistical research methods. Some physicists will gladly tell you that saying the universe sprang forth from a singularity is a lot like saying "god did it," and some biologists think something like plato's logos exists at the end of time as a transcendental attractor to which all of biology evolves toward in the universe's endless groping toward self-comprehension. Some pharmacologists get some funny ideas about the torah after using dmt. It's really all the same shit.
>>
>>7851383
see>>7851272
and>>7852262

You're a fucking idiot if you think the guys who take calculus for three semesters and learn how to build nth dimensional models can't handle a bunch of pontificating by dead guys who were wrong about almost everything.
>>
>>7852269
Maths people are pretty good at philosophy and are at a great NEET level for it.
People in science fields proper are just frat boys.
>>
>>7850745
>non-humanities
>human
>>
>>7852279
I'm sorry a sociology major fucked your girlfriend.
>>
>>7852279
Yes because Kant wasn't also a scientist and isn't loved by physicists
>>
>>7852296
Kant went to school back when everyone learned everything and when it was philosophy's job to talk about everything.

You can't honestly be implying that science majors are Kants in the making.
>>
Scientists think that everything can be reduced to numbers and then simply compared.
For example my friend thinks that one day in the future, we will be able to measure the pain of a murder and compare it to the satisfaction that it causes, and then if its a positive number, its a "bad" thing, and if its a negative number, its a "good" thing.
>>
Science has been post-positivist since the works of Karl Popper.
>>
>>7852321
>stemfag morality
>>
>>7852321
I highly doubt your friend is a scientist. Just a dumbass. "Scientists" don't ALL think any one thing. see>>7852262
and>>7851272

>>7852325
You ended a word with "ism" so you clearly know what you're talking about.

>>7852327
>educated by 4chan
>>
>>7852307
He originally wanted to specialize in the sciences but then turned to philosophy which took up more of his time than he thought.
>>7852307
>You can't honestly be implying that science majors are Kants in the making.
I'm not
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.