[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whose bright idea was it to put this shitty book in the 'Start

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: Barry_Strauss_Trojan_War.jpg (139KB, 948x1384px) Image search: [Google]
Barry_Strauss_Trojan_War.jpg
139KB, 948x1384px
Whose bright idea was it to put this shitty book in the 'Start with the Greeks' guide?
>>
>>7849295
>he fell for the greeks meme
>>
>>7849295
Just start with The Iliad
>>
>>7849295
What was the problem, OP?
>>
>>7849295

I wish western society didn't suck the greeks historical dicks 24/7

They were genius architects is what I take away from it. I don't give a fuck about their philosophy or their wars.
>>
>>7850296
>Book is written in present tense
>>
>>7849295
Why wouldn't you just read the Illiad? The Trojan War wasn't even a real war what the fuck
>>
>>7851346
Yes it was...
>>
>>7851589
Got a source for that, champ?
>>
>>7851599
The Trojan Horse
By Barry Strauss
>>
>>7850332
>I don't give a fuck about their philosophy or their wars.
I don't think this is the board for you anon
>>
>>7851346
>>7851589
>>7851599
>>7852007
loled
>>
>>7851346
Check out Michael wood's documentary on the subject. It's made for plebs, like you.
>>
I'm reading it right now. I'm like 150 pages in. Seems to be setting the scene for the Iliad. It was recommended and was first on the list of "Start with the Greeks" list. I guess it's a nice intro so i won't be lost as fuck when i start the Iliad. Apparently the Iliad is like the last two years of the war and Strauss's book says what happens during the first 9 years?
>>
>>7853274
Sort of. The kickoff and early years of the war are supposedly described in other parts of the now-lost Epic Cycle. Strauss is, like you said, setting the stage for the story and inquiring into its historical veritability.

But I suspect that you'll be surprised at the scope of the Iliad once you read it for the first time. A lot of the famous parts of the story fall outside its scope, with much of the war taking place before AND after the brief period described by the Iliad.
>>
File: little king john repelled.gif (714KB, 253x253px) Image search: [Google]
little king john repelled.gif
714KB, 253x253px
>book has penis on the cover
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.