[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey, /lit/. /sci/ here. Can you give me one, one example of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 21

File: Carl_Friedrich_Gauss.jpg (236KB, 576x738px) Image search: [Google]
Carl_Friedrich_Gauss.jpg
236KB, 576x738px
Hey, /lit/. /sci/ here.

Can you give me one, one example of a philosophical problem that was actually solved?

Thanks, I know I can count on you.
>>
>>7843759
>philosophy problem
>solved
>philosophy is a zero sum game
Philosophical "problems" are not solved, only debated. You're welcome.
>>
File: Socrates.jpg (186KB, 657x876px) Image search: [Google]
Socrates.jpg
186KB, 657x876px
>he believes in solutions
>>
>>7843773
So you concede that there is no point to it? If you can't find conclusive answers to the qustions raised then it is completely useless.
>>
some greco fucker was like: avast, is there anything of point or value in this here lifey?

and some german dicks was like, thousands of years later: noooooooooooooooooooooo

problem solved? yes.
>>
>>7843788
Did they prove that there was no point in life?
>>
>>7843784
What "knowledge" has empiricism produced?
>>
>>7843795
probably, they sure wrote a lot about it anyhow
>>
>>7843784
You probably shouldn't come to /lit/ if you don't read. I think you'd like The Martian a lot go check it out.
>>
File: costanza21.jpg (19KB, 300x315px) Image search: [Google]
costanza21.jpg
19KB, 300x315px
>>7843784
>If you can't find conclusive answers to the questions raised then it is completely useless.
philosophy isn't about stuff like 2+2=4. it's more about trying to grasp concepts that are normally out of our reach.
>>
>>7843795
As closely as science has "proved" anything.
Billions of people have died without accomplishing anything. Their lives were pointless.
>>
>>7843796
How to build cars, planes, phones, water systems, internet, GPS, medical treatment, improved agriculture production, etc.

Want me to keep going?
>>
File: neil degrasse tyson3.jpg (49KB, 500x431px) Image search: [Google]
neil degrasse tyson3.jpg
49KB, 500x431px
This thread is now about reddit books

https://www.brainpickings.org/2014/12/29/neil-degrasse-tyson-reading-list/
>>
>>7843814
Knowledge about the physical world is impossible. Your perceptions of using applications of your "knowledge" are causally unrelated to your perceptions of finding that same knowledge.
>>
File: um6ijro.jpg (660KB, 3192x2124px) Image search: [Google]
um6ijro.jpg
660KB, 3192x2124px
http://imgur.com/gallery/ngExKHr
>>
>>7843823
Bullshit. We know how to make a plane fly and how to communicate using radio waves. That is undeniable.
>>
>>7843784
>So you concede that there is no point to it?

This statement alone presumes a teleological end to reality. Something the physical sciences aren't equipped to handle or discuss in any meaningful way.

Let me ask you, STEMfag, what is the point of having a point? Can you arrive at the conclusion that things have purposes and teleological ends using the scientific method alone?
>>
>>7843759
Science is an ever-evolving field, why shouldn't philosophy also be?

The theory of evolution as articulated by Darwin only sort of resembles the one we're working with today, does that mean that Darwin was wrong? no. He had some solid principles that we still build on today. Philosophy is similar.

Newtonian physics was able to produce awesome bridges etc. but it got overthrown by Relativistic physics. Philsophy makes statements about different things than Science, but it too is ever evolving.
>>
>>7843832

Is there life after death, anon?
>>
>>7843832
Repeat it with me, friend:

You can't trust your senses.
>>
>>7843839

Let me ask you, Macdonalds employee of the month. Can you answer a question directly without dodging and sophistry?
>>
File: meme mobile.jpg (177KB, 551x735px) Image search: [Google]
meme mobile.jpg
177KB, 551x735px
>>7843821
>The Bible (public library; free ebook), to learn that it’s easier to be told by others what to think and believe than it is to think for yourself
>>
File: The_Martian_2014.jpg (10KB, 263x400px) Image search: [Google]
The_Martian_2014.jpg
10KB, 263x400px
https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/3fvfv9/do_you_ever_feel_anxious_or_other_real_emotions/?
>>
>>7843842
Who knows.

>>7843848
So when you see a plane take off you think you are being deceived by your senses? I think you belong in a psychiatric ward.
>>
>>7843862
hey thats literally my car!
>>
File: epictetus.jpg (10KB, 198x237px) Image search: [Google]
epictetus.jpg
10KB, 198x237px
>>7843814
>How to build cars, planes, phones, water systems, internet, GPS, medical treatment, improved agriculture production, etc.
We do build all that. But is that enough? Is that all there is to life, and is nothing else worthy of being questioned?
Your approach is like a greedy algorithm, wanting only to deal with that which we can solve immediately; but that's how it all got started, math and the physical sciences are a fruit of philosophy.
>>
>>7843853
>Can you answer a question directly without dodging and sophistry?

Yes.
>>
File: whataspecimen.jpg (44KB, 476x476px) Image search: [Google]
whataspecimen.jpg
44KB, 476x476px
https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/1zed2l/just_finished_zen_and_the_art_of_motorcycle/?
>>
File: dfw.jpg (10KB, 500x406px) Image search: [Google]
dfw.jpg
10KB, 500x406px
>Modern "empirical" techno-scientism: How do we design a better Instagram applet for reporting instances of fart rape?
is a subset of
>Physical or natural science: What can we know about the world we live in?
is a subset of
>Metaphysics (or "deep physics"): What can we know about the rules that govern the world we live in?
is a subset of
>Ontology: What can we know about there being a "world" at all? What can we know about "what is?"
with a side of
>Epistemology: What can we know?
and
>Philosophical anthropology: What ought we to do with regard to what we know?
all of which are subsets of
>Philosophy
>>
>>7843872
If that is all there is to life is completely unrelated. We know how to build those things, end of story.

>>7843874
Good, keep being this obedient and on point and soon you will be manager. Can you now give a response to the solicitation I made in the OP, this time without getting sidetracked with sophistry like you did in your last post?
>>
File: StraightOuttaReddit.png (808KB, 958x1022px) Image search: [Google]
StraightOuttaReddit.png
808KB, 958x1022px
>>7843759
Zeno's paradox? Solved by math, the purest of all philosophical modes of expression.
>>
>>7843759

Xeno's Achiles and the turtle

Solved in Aristotle's Phyisics.

/thread
>>
>>7843866
I think the physical world exists but is unobservable, as I exist as a mental entity within the mental world. I think any "perceptions" I experience are iunconscious deceptions of a physical demiurge that seeks mental life that he does not experience, and any "desires" I feel are my own jealousy as the mental demiurge towards the unknown but implied physical world.

Go back to fucking reddit if you think physical knowledge is possible. Go suck the black science man's dick.
>>
>>7843881
>I have no good things to show for myself so I claim as mine everything science did!

Oldest trick in the book.
>>
>>7843866

>Who knows.

If I asked you, let's say in the year 1273, can a man fly? Machine or otherwise? Would you not have answered the same? If I asked you, let's say in the year 1610, is it possible that one day all of Shakespeare's plays will be available to anyone to read anywhere on the globe for free on a device that fit inside your pocket? Would you not have answered the same?
>>
File: bait.jpg (88KB, 945x717px) Image search: [Google]
bait.jpg
88KB, 945x717px
>>7843888
>Good, keep being this obedient and on point and soon you will be manager
>>7843853
>Macdonalds employee of the month
>>
lmao the /sci/ memes are true
>>
>>7843897
>i anthropomorphize vaguely defined fields of study and "side" with the one that i identify with more because of reddit cartoons
>>
>>7843899
Who know,s but I will concede, just to know where you are going.
>>
File: 1447715699470.jpg (44KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1447715699470.jpg
44KB, 250x250px
https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/2mvirm/i_hate_being_forced_to_read_no_matter_what_the/?
>>
>>7843890
>Zeno's paradox
>Xeno's Achiles and the turtle

Really, I didn't know there was a conclusive solution already. I will look more into it. Thanks for the pertinent answers, I knew there was intelligente life somewhere in this board.
>>
>>7843784
Yes. That's why science is useless too.
>>
>>7843890
>>7843894
Seems we think alike
>>
If you do not understand philosophy's impact on math and science then you should go outside and shoot yourself. That goes for everyone here.
>>
>>7843916
The solution is limits at infinity, so the basis of all calculus and most all higher-level math. Hence, it's been solved conclusively since Newton.
>>
>>7843888
>Can you now give a response to the solicitation I made in the OP, this time without getting sidetracked with sophistry like you did in your last post?

Mathematics rest on metaphysical principles, as do all the natural sciences. By your own logic, your limited understanding of science only functions on the syllogisms and axioms made apparent through metaphysics. Maybe instead of acting like a petulant child, you try reading a fucking book.
>>
>>7843919
There are conclusive answers as to how put a plane in the air and how to build a fucntioning computer. Try harder.

>>7843922
I am not asking for vague things like 'impact', 'inspirations'. Those are all important but in this thread I would like to know a problem formulated by philosophy and solved by philosophy.
>>
File: positivist.png (346KB, 1829x788px) Image search: [Google]
positivist.png
346KB, 1829x788px
>>7843936
>I would like to know a problem formulated by philosophy and solved by philosophy.
how many times do we need to tell you that philosophy isn't concerned about solving problems but pondering concepts that may not have a concrete solution
>>
>>7843935
The only one acting like a child is you. I made a simple inquery and you were unable to have your pride hurt.

>Mathematics rest on metaphysical principles, as do all the natural sciences

No.
>>
>>7843943
Sounds like what someone who smokes weed do. Thanks for conceding it never solves anything.
>>
>>7843950
>Thanks for conceding it never solves anything.

You say that as if it should.
>>
File: bait8.jpg (106KB, 685x600px) Image search: [Google]
bait8.jpg
106KB, 685x600px
>>7843950
>everybody who likes philosophy smokes weed and works at McDonalds
>>
>>7843936
>Those are all important but in this thread I would like to know a problem formulated by philosophy and solved by philosophy.
I'm sure you would, but do you know why you would? Because you're retarded, that's why.
>>
>/lit/ cvcks humoring a /sci/tard
or
>/sci/tard trolling some /lit/ cvcks
or more probably
>/lit/ troll posing as /sci/tard

Could someone go check on /sci/ to see if they got bored and set one of theirs to get a rise out of use? Oh and the bin needs to be taken out too.
>>
>>7843972
>insults
Looks like you have nothing. Just like philosophy. Science wins again.
>>
File: science meme.png (30KB, 600x700px) Image search: [Google]
science meme.png
30KB, 600x700px
>>7843976
>>
>>7843908
>>7843908

>Who know,s but I will concede, just to know where you are going.

The point is, where you see questions that will never be answered, others see questions that just haven't been given enough time to solve. Some things take more time than others.

You point out that we have the automobile, the airplane, the telephone, the internet, the water systems, the GPS, the advancements in medicine, the improved agriculture, and that science has solved this. And you're right.

But sometime, somewhere, long ago, someone looked at a bird in the sky and thought to themselves, "Can a man fly?" And over centuries and millenia, friends and villagers and tribesmen and whoever said, "Hurr durr, can a man fly? Why don't you solve a real problem like how the fuck are you going to eat dinner?"

This theory that philosophy and science are completely separate from each other has always confused me. They're symbiotic. They need each other for both sides to work.

Because the real question is, would man have dreamed of flight without first seeing a bird?
>>
>>7843759
Yes. Empiricism has been disproved as it has a self refuting axiom.
>>
File: tumblr_m45e7jQjCA1qfgtelo1_500.gif (928KB, 500x227px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m45e7jQjCA1qfgtelo1_500.gif
928KB, 500x227px
>>7843814

Okay, how come we haven't stopped building those things then? Seems like they haven't "solved" anything.

huh? huh?
>>
>>7843864
They're so impressionable
>>
>>7843888
Okay, I wasn't the one engaging you on that debate, I just wanted to point out that there is a "point" to philosophy, as in, it does bear fruit, it's questionings aren't sterile, as opposed to what you questioned for instance in >>7843784
>If you can't find conclusive answers to the qustions raised then it is completely useless.
In the case of >>7843890 a questioning that started in philosophy was solved centuries later by a science of its own. Was the questioning useless? But it wasn't philosophy alone that solved it. But isn't philosophy a friend to all other sciences, as many times borrowing to and taking from them as it can? Why must it be a competition?
>>
>>7843936
But whether or not the plane will fly, whether or not your perceptions of the plane can be trusted, and whether or not the plane even exists is not conclusive: it is an assumption--an act of faith just as absurd as believing in lizard people. Science is based upon fundamental philosophical assumptions, and denying that is just ignorant. You know Einstein? Newton? They, along with many famous scientists, would be nobodies without philosophers like Aristotle, Spinoza, and Kant.
>>
File: cant delouse the Krauss.png (250KB, 850x400px) Image search: [Google]
cant delouse the Krauss.png
250KB, 850x400px
>Humanitards use funny words to convince themselves u cnt no nuffin and justify why they couldn't pass 9th grade physics
>STEMfags pray to the altar of MUH REDUCTIONISM all day and dismiss any problems they can't tackle with material they covered in calc 3

Fucking faggots all of you
>>
>>7844038
/thread basically
>>
File: 1448320763684.jpg (23KB, 396x360px) Image search: [Google]
1448320763684.jpg
23KB, 396x360px
>>
>>7843909
>I love reading!
>I hate being forced to real
this cannot be real, it just cannot
>>
>>7843976
for le science xDDDD

epic for the win, reddit!!!
>>
>>7844134
Great argument. I assume you don`t like this "reddit" and identify every you dislike with it. How childish
>>
File: 1453945357793.gif (1MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1453945357793.gif
1MB, 500x281px
>concrete answers to abstract ideas
>>
>>7843759
I got layed last night. It worked for me.
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.