[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I saw this article from the AV club posted on facebook and k

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: 1403752459041.png (879KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1403752459041.png
879KB, 800x800px
I saw this article from the AV club posted on facebook and kind of got triggered. Why do people pretend that Dune is deep or complex? It's really not more complex than Star Wars or Lord of the Rings at all, thematically or plot-wise yet this nigger and popular opinion seems to claim so

>For all that the book is in terms of its influence and acclaim, Dune has the plot structure density of a supermassive black hole. Yes, Star Wars tells a better visual story (for the most part), but taking into account the kind of detailed, non-cursory perspective of every character, setting, background, and thematic narrative down to the subatomic level would make seven films work just as an introduction piece if there was any hope of giving any semblance of justice to the depth of Herbert’s book. The simple fact is that in its own strange way, a film’s inability to capture the enormity and grandeur of a book is less a criticism of the filmmaker and more a testament to the book’s incalculable brilliance.

http://www.avclub.com/article/dune-cant-capture-novels-incalculable-brilliance-233858

literally why?
>>
Atlas Shrugged
>>
> Star Wars tells a better visual story
>>
>Muh genre fiction sucks

This is a spook.
>>
>>7841752
>It's really not more complex than Star Wars
Now i am triggered
>>
>>7841752
It's definitely a lot more complex than Star Wars. Not a very good book, though- great ideas, but the prose lets it down, like a lot of classic sci-fi.

Also, Mein Gott that article is badly written. I tried manfully struggling through the convoluted sentences but had to give up about halfway through.
>>
>>7843150
>>7843901
>transferring nearly every facet of the western mythos onto the silver screen drawing influence from eastern filmmaking styles
>not one of the most culturally important milestones of all time

Dune is literally DUDE SPICE LMAO with one of the worst villains of all time and themes hardly going beyond DUDE FATE LMAO

it's not even written well apart from exposition. Dramatically it hits every saturday morning cartoon trope in the book.
>>
File: 1434402219165.png (860KB, 831x789px) Image search: [Google]
1434402219165.png
860KB, 831x789px
>>7841752
Star Wars IS more complex than Dune if we are talking about episodes 4-6.

The original trilogy at least has its mantra of don't think, do, coming from Yoda. This isn't some breath taking piece of philosophy but it is a pragmatic solution to trying to teach someone something. Believe in the master, that is it, have faith, no fear.

You can then debate about the consequences but at least it does something, at all.

Dune?
HE SPEAKS TRUTH
what do you mean by he sp-
BY GOD THE BOY SPEAKS TRUTH

SPICE

REAL POLITIK

I CAN SEE THE FUTU-KIND OF THE FUTURE

It is just mystical ramblings that don't do anything besides acting as a parade for the reader.

For Star Wars Luke faces a crisis on how he deals with his powers. Paul in Dune never does. The book outright tells you in the beginning he is a child-prophet-God and as soon as he finds out he has powers he becomes the most smug piece of shit child-prophet-God you have ever seen. He has no crisis, the author just wants him to say cool lines.

That's it.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.