[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Start with the greeks! Start with the GREEKS! START WITH THE

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

File: 1423156962797.jpg (11KB, 176x187px) Image search: [Google]
1423156962797.jpg
11KB, 176x187px
Start with the greeks!
Start with the GREEKS!
START WITH THE GREEKS!

And where do I start within the greeks?
>>
>falling for the meme
>>
dude anywhere

just read all of it

>>7835569
>trying to understand literary or philosophical history w/o working through the beginning of it all
>>
>>7835569
i want redditors to go
>>
>>7835569
>implying I started
>>
Presocratics
>>
Aristotle, then read Nietzsche on the Greeks. Then Schopenhauer, then Nietzsche on the whole, then Ludovici, then whatever you want.
>>
>>7835564
think of me reading the greeks and I'll think of you reading the greeks and together we'll make it reading the greeks
>>
File: 1451146951470.png (68KB, 306x249px) Image search: [Google]
1451146951470.png
68KB, 306x249px
>2016
>not realising true masters start AS the Greeks
>not recreating the entirety of philosophy by yourself with no outside input
>>
>>7835617
>not standing on the shoulders of giants.
>>
Socratic Dialogues
The Epicureans, Stoics, and Skeptics
>>
start with sumerians pleb
>>
>>7835564
Hesiod's Theogony, obviously.
>>
What if I just like people like Updike and Ben Lerner and Flannery O' Connor. Do I have to read the Greeks?
>>
>>7835736
Nobody said you have to be a patrician, anon.
>>
>>7835736
You don't have to do anything lad.
>>
File: 1410622362089.jpg (1MB, 3672x3024px) Image search: [Google]
1410622362089.jpg
1MB, 3672x3024px
Because no one's posted this yet.
>>
>>7835736
Start with the western canon
>>
The greeks
>>
>>7835569
Why would you think this is a meme?

If you haven't read the Greeks you're an uneducated pleb.
>>
>>7835564
Aristophanes
>>
>>7835815
>No Ovid
Start with

OVID
V
I
D

Metamorphoses obviously
>>
Honestly dude FUCK the greeks. Just read everything by Josephus.
>>
>>7835564
Are Aesop's Fables worth reading?
>>
>>7837865
exactly.. start with the Jews i always say... first the old testament, then Josephus's histories, then the new testament. only then are you ready for the greeks
>>
>>7837865
That's long and boring though
>>
>>7837873
its not even necessary, the metaphysicality and moral aspects are essentially exactly the same
>>
>>7837880
exactly, it will put you into a deep sleep like trance where you will go on adventures with the Jews and and the Romans and only then can you truly unlock the true esoteric meanings
>>
>>7837867
Online sure. I personally wouldn't buy a physical copy unless you want it for the novelty or you happen to be an Aesop fan
>>
The Infinite Jest
>>
File: Start with the greeks UPDATED.jpg (2MB, 3240x3600px) Image search: [Google]
Start with the greeks UPDATED.jpg
2MB, 3240x3600px
>>7837863
Nah senpai. OVid is latin
>>
>>7837943
This is probably all that's needed
>>
THALES OR HOMER OR HERODOTUS DEPENDING ON YOUR INTERESTS
>>
>>7835564

>thales: The source of all things is water. Bought all the wine presses, fell into a pit while star gazing.
>Anaximander and aniximies had hard names to spell and refuted thales, then refuted each other.
>Pythagoreans: Numbers hold the secrets to the universe. Also, don't fuck a swine in a straw bed before sundown on the vernal equinox, and always walk backwards barefoot for a half hour a day
>Xeno: One can never get from A to B because first they must travel to the half point, then that half point, and the next until infinity.
Someone said something abour fire, love, strife, not stepping in the same river twice. Magnesium rocks. blah blah blah. Sophists sold public speaking tips to plebs.

Now start with Socrates and work your way outward.
>>
>>7837863
>people who aren't greek
>>
>>7837991
and since Socrates writing didnt survive, skip right to plato
>>
>>7838000

I was going to add that, but I didn't want to give away the biggest punchline of the beginnings of philosophy.
>>
>>7837943
>>7837993

Its still all about Greek mythos though. And its more entertaining than that Edith Hamilton book
>>
>not starting with Gilgamesh
>>
>>7835569
Calling this a meme just shows how uneducated you are. Even high school philosophy starts with Homer and presocratics
>>
>>7838795
>Even high school philosophy starts with Homer and presocratics
Really? Philosophy A level in the UK starts with Descartes/The Republic
>>
>>7837991
muh nigga surely Xeno isn't more important than Heraclitus?
>someone

ITT: wet souls
>>
>>7839014
Entrenching the indoctrination.

For the Greeks read the pieces surrounding the death of Socrates, then Homer, then think about what you really want out of lit and read the relevant authors.

Aristotle's Ethics is a grindy but great read for anyone.
>>
>>7835564
read the sticky
>>
>>7839014
I'm Spanish and always thought OUR education was shit-grade. I'm so sorry. Start with Homer to understand Thales and the other two guys from Mileto
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.