[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

> Writer, who is *not* a native Spanish speaker, uses the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 10

File: porfavor.jpg (6KB, 250x241px) Image search: [Google]
porfavor.jpg
6KB, 250x241px
> Writer, who is *not* a native Spanish speaker, uses the word "quixotic" in a sentence
>>
I agree OP, it's quite the quixotic situation.
>>
File: pepe_explain.jpg (104KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
pepe_explain.jpg
104KB, 500x500px
>>7822530
>>
>>7822530
It appears you've already done it.
>>
>>7822607

How quixotic
>>
Guess who wrote the following sentence:

> And then also the little-mentioned advantage to being destitute and in possession of a Health Card that's expired and not even in your name: hospitals show you a kind of inverted respect; a place like Cambridge City Hospital bows to your will not to stay; they all of a sudden defer to your subjective diagnostic knowledge of your own condition, which post-seizure condition you feel has turned the corner toward improvement: they bow to your quixotic will: it's unfortunately not a free hospital but it is a free country: they honor your wishes and compliment your mambo and say Go with God.
>>
>>7822530
Is it true that some ppl actually pronounce it key-shottic?
>>
>>7822649
well Quixote is pronounced Key-ho-tay
>>
DFW used 'quixotically' from time to time.

>>7822595
>>7822530
dumb frogposter
>>
>>7822658
No way
>>
>>7822530
Quixotry.

Feelin better?
>>
>>7822691
yes way
>>
Quijotesco.
Trimalcionico.
Anglos will never have such fancy words.
>>
dumb angloposters
>>
>>7822705
fuck off spanish fag.

your only good word was negro and we stole it, tweaked it, and overused it to oblivion
>>
>>7822642
Isn't that from IJ? I think I remember that, though the first few words in the sentence give it away.
>>
File: lolu.jpg (99KB, 428x496px) Image search: [Google]
lolu.jpg
99KB, 428x496px
>>7822728
It's from the Jester, yes. You have won this rare DFW.
>>
File: greg.jpg (64KB, 970x1213px) Image search: [Google]
greg.jpg
64KB, 970x1213px
>Writer, who is greg, uses the word 'greg' in a new epic mene that has borned
>>
>>7822642
That's actually a good sentence
>>
File: hm.jpg (220KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
hm.jpg
220KB, 1200x900px
>>7822530
isn't -otic is a greek suffix
isn't quixotic an english word
isn't the spanish word for quixotic quijotesco
>>
>>7822846
Huh, that actually is rare. At least I haven't seen it before myself. Thank you, gracious anon.
>>
File: huehuehue.png (425KB, 424x476px) Image search: [Google]
huehuehue.png
425KB, 424x476px
>>7822846
>rare
plz
>>
>spanish is one language
>quixote was written in modern castillian
death is too good for you people.
>>
>>7823708
Post rarer, poseur
>>
>>7823733
are you stupid?
>>
File: 1457673296262.jpg (34KB, 439x355px) Image search: [Google]
1457673296262.jpg
34KB, 439x355px
>>7823774
>>
>>7825030
dat ass
>>
>>7825000
no, unfortunately i'm not, trips. it'll be great to hear why you think i might be tho
>>
>>7825046
Spanish IS one language
the Quixote was written after a big unification of castillian language which has changed very little until nowadays compared to what medieval spanish was to XVIIth century spanish.
>>
File: image.jpg (113KB, 661x514px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
113KB, 661x514px
>non-native English speaker uses the word word
>>
>>7825082
Ves a parir mones, xarnego.
Spanish is not one language, it is a language group. That's as retarded as saying Chinese is one language. Quixote, as you could tell from the title, is written in Old Castillian which is pronounced differently to Modern Castillian which is why even Quixote's influence on creating Modern Castillian didn't stop its spelling being Quijote in Modern Castillian.

Finally, the phrasing which opens the book forms part of the joke I made, which your ignorant monolingual ass wouldn't understand without footnotes, because the ignominy and obliteration captured in opening description is one of the cliche jokes of Castillian since its modern incarnation began.

You're fucking retarded and haven't even read the book. At best you read it in translation and missed all the jokes, including the ones that do translate well. Don't ask stupid questions like "are other people stupid"; ask smart questions like "how can I kill myself now and stop the damage I am doing to literature"
>>
>>7822530
truly kafkaesque
>>
>>7823167
Gegged!
>>
>>7825088
bad dubs tbqh
>>
>>7825030
Is that the famous audience pussy?
>>
>>7825102
If you knew anything about English language you would know that Spanish is the international way used to refer to Castillian. Nobody uses Spanish thinking about including Catalan and Euskera as well, get out of your bubble.
>>
>>7825181
If you knew shit about what you called the Spanish language, you would know Quixote is not how it's spelled. The general ignorance of those around you did not make you an authority on shit you don't understand either. Nobody who is native speaker of Castillian would consider Quixote current Castillian.
>Nobody uses Spanish thinking about including Catalan
Spain's been trying really hard to keep Catalan, and therefore Cataluna, on the official record. Though of course you're from somewhere under a rock and don't get news about that.
>>
File: 20160318_081943_Richtone(HDR).jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20160318_081943_Richtone(HDR).jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
>>7825102
>which your ignorant monolingual ass wouldn't understand without footnotes
Not that Anon, but *that* phrase is funny because of pic related. it's a pic of my 4th Centenary edition, published by Alfaguara and edited by the "Real Academia Española - Asociación de Academias de la Lengua Española".
>>
>>7825253
>not reading in the original arabic
i was making a joke but that takes intertextuality too far. at least they did not footnote mancha
damn, now i want eggs and chorizo
>>
Remember, guys, by 1605 Castilian was a joke. "La RAE" appeared a century after that. And they used Cervantes' novel as a reference for things like lexicon, idioms, and HOW NOT TO MAKE SPELLING AND GRAMMAR MISTAKES. The first edition of El Quijote edited by "la Rae" appeared on 1780, and they published the sacred trilogy (Diccionario de Autoridades, la Ortografía y la Gramática) just a couple of years before their first edition of El Quijote. Meaning: they used that novel as a manual on how to write and read in Spanish.
>>
if you took out all the foreign imported words out of english, you wouldn't be left with much.
>>
>>7825253
not a single one of those footnotes are necessary, what the hell
>>
>>7825301
still have baka desu senpai
>>
>>7825030
#rare
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.