[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is this book considered brilliant? It reads like a self insert

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

File: 15646.jpg (36KB, 322x475px) Image search: [Google]
15646.jpg
36KB, 322x475px
Why is this book considered brilliant? It reads like a self insert fanfiction. Literally every famous historical person he meets comments on how smart the aurthor is.

Can you imagine a modern day equivalent of this shit?
>>
wewlad
>>
>>7810805
If you cannot see how it's a masterpiece then there's no real point in discussing literature at all with you m8. It's like you didn't understand a single word in the book...
>>
>>7810805
>>7810806
>References and self aggrandizing
>Masterpiece

It's shit. It's only famous because it was one of the first medieval and surviving European political satire book of it's time.
>>
>>7810867
You said it. What is there to ask anymore? If you don't agree then it's better to >>>/reddit/
>>
>>7810867
This must be bait.

In its original language, it's a poetic masterpiece in every sense of the word. Dante greatly influenced Italian poetry.

Even when translated to English, in prose, it's a masterpiece in ever sense of the word

The entire Divine Comedy is breathtakingly beautiful.

>Political satire book
This alone shows that you have no idea what you're talking about and likely have not even read it.

I'm busy right now and just think that you're baiting us...but if you're genuinely interested in discussing it i'll do so later.
>>
>>7810911
As fasr as I've read so far it's

>meet some Roman/Greek historical figure
>If he's well liked he Dante and said figure talks about philosophy and said historical figure talks about how great of a person Dante is.
>If said figure isn't liked you see various people ridiculing him

Replace the Dante with Bill O'Riely or John Stewart, and the historical figures with 19th and 20th Century individuals and you see how ridiculous it is.
>>
>>7810805
>It reads like a self insert fanfiction.

I see you too read Geek&Sundry. That's a great and insightful website!
>>
OP do you mean the adaptation you posted in the pic, or the original? You posted the cover of a modern version of the story.
>>
What a strange cover.
>>
You're going to read the whole thing, aren't you, OP?

You're not going to be a complete faggot plebeian and only read the Inferno, right OP?
>>
>>7810805
It's old. Of course it's great. Literature gets better with time. Take Shakespeare for example: at his time his plays were Michael Bay level garbage for plebs, now they are brilliant. Homer's work at the time it was written was just bunch of random scribbles and food-stains. Literature takes time to develop, just like wine.
>>
>>7811804
Bullshit. The Greeks works were tested in contests. Shakespeare wrote for the King.
>>
>>7810805
Because there are some extroadinarily well written translations
>>
>>7811804
If anything shakespeare was better then. Now all of his characters are just competing with each other to be the stupidest.
>>
Paradise Lost is the superior Christian epic. None of Dante's pettiness, ressentiment, pedantry or tedium. Nietzsche was right when he called Dante a hyena.
>>
>>7811945
i just wanna know the secret of the corn

>>7810805
i unironically agree with you
>>
>>7811865
>The Greeks works were tested in contests
That was later, Homer wrote for aristocrats
>>
Dante was smart because he willingly choose to go to hell to save his oneitis, while the others where to stupid to get to heaven
>>
beetroot pls respong......
>>
Dante's Inferno changed literature and Christianity forever.
>>
Here's your reply
>>
>>7810805
'Self-insert', 'Mary Sue', 'nothing happens', 'unrealistic', 'deus ex machina'.. there's a boatload of complaints about books which are basically an instant sign that somebody cannot into literature.

Really none of these things matter at all. An excellent author could write a self-insert epic poem in which the protagonist spends an entire day taking a long shit, which when it finally comes out suddenly magically solves world hunger and leads to their being declared Emperor of the Universe and getting blowjobs for all time. And if the writing is skilled enough, it will still be good.
>>
>>7810805
>not appreciating the poetry
>reading for plot
>not at least attempting the Italian

maybe literature isn't for you, anon.
>>
Le contrarian
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.