[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I the only one who hates Infinite Jest but loves most of his

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: dfw.jpg (19KB, 360x235px) Image search: [Google]
dfw.jpg
19KB, 360x235px
Am I the only one who hates Infinite Jest but loves most of his short stories and essays?
>>
>>7810171
I enjoyed Broom of the System a lot more than IJ or Oblivion (the only two other things of his I've read in their entirety).
>>
I wouldn't say that I "hate" IJ but his short stories and essays are better.
>>
>>7810171
i don't hate infinite jest, but i do like his non-fiction better.

i tend to like non-fiction in general more than novels.
>>
hate was maybe a bit too harsh but i didn't enjoy reading it
>>
I swear, if he bring devotes yet another paragraph to pseudo-scientific musings about tennis, I'm gonna... close the book.

You're not alone; I really enjoyed his short stories, but so far I can't say I'm liking IJ.
>>
the exact opposite, actually. i think the 1000-page book is way more consistent than his stories
>>
>>7810171
that just means you actually have decent taste

IJ circlejerk is the worst
>>
>>7810829
I agree with this guy. I love Infinite Jest and TPK but overall don't enjoy his shorter work. Good Old Neon is fantastic, though, and I like it just as much as I like IJ and TPK.
>>
I read only Brief Interviews and in the end, while intrigued by some of the ideas he had for the structure of the collection, I came to the conclusion that it doesn't really work.
>>
brief interviews with hideous men is his best work, and of the best depiction of the modern man. Anyway, I don't dislike infinite jest at all
>>
>>7810171
I don't hate IJ, I like what he tries to do, but I quit it because it repeated itself so much

And yes I love his essays
>>
>>7810171
I dunno. I read Consider the Lobster, and after ruminating on it for several years I'm struck by how much of a childish, myopic little bitch Wallace could be, especially when he tried writing about events outside of literature like Big Red Son and The View from Mrs. Thompson's. All of his observations just seemed so surface-level and obvious. The worst is How Tracy Austin Broke My Heart, which nears John Green levels of this weird sort of vindictive teen angst directed towards a complete stranger.
>>
>>7812047
>when you think tracy austin us about tracy austin
>when you think big red son is about avn awards
>when you think wallace doesnt like vacation
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.