[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What did you guys (who've read it) think of Against the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: Atd_usa-paperback.jpg (33KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Atd_usa-paperback.jpg
33KB, 500x500px
What did you guys (who've read it) think of Against the Day? I've been a fan of the man, the meme the legend Pinecone for quite a while, but haven't gotten around to it. Would it be a good read for someone who really liked GR?
>>
i copped the audiobook on itunes when it was on sale for 6 bucks, but i didnt get around to listenign to it yet since it's like 50 hours long or some shit, the parts i sampled seemed pretty patrish tho
>>
>>7807401
I don't think I could ever listen to Pynchon on audiobook. How can you trust the narrator to give the right emphasis, interpret dialect, recite poems, etc. correctly? Plus there's so many instances where I need/want to go back and immediately reread passages for clarity, having the audio just carry on would make it too hard to comprehend.
>>
>>7807445
because it's read by a patrician shakespearean actor who has a more elite education than u do, stay pleb
>>
>>7807445
the audiobook of inherent vice was way better in that regard compared to the movie, the movie was all wrong
>>
>>7807468
So you can personally vouch for the narrator to do it justice? You've actually listened to it?
>>
Let's stay on topic, boys
>>
>>7807483
it's the same guy who did the gravity's rainbow one and that shit was hella patrish, i read GR first but listen to the audiobook from time to time to refresh me and it never disappoints, inherent vice is read by a guy with a hippy sounding "dude far out" kind of voice but he nails it, too. i'm probably going to read it first (against the day) but i love having some pynchon audio on my phone u feel me
>>
>>7807515
oh wait George Guidall did GR, but some dude named "Dick Hill" did Against The Day, I think Guidall also did Mason & Dixon
>>
so no one's read it, then. /lit really sucks balls doesn't it
>>
>it's a Pinecone writes another tome episode
>>
File: 1456292664642.jpg (19KB, 338x279px) Image search: [Google]
1456292664642.jpg
19KB, 338x279px
>>7808218
kek
>>
>>7807396
love love loved it. my favorite Pynchon. so much damn fun to read i'll do so again after i finish up Faulkner's oeuvre. the Chums of Chance merit their own fan-fiction. i'd love to write a novella one day involving one of their many adventures only hinted at in the novel.
>>
>>7808205
to be fair, people find it daunting because of its length. however, it's a much easier read than GR, V, or M&D. it's like he toned his style down to fit the adventures within. the prose is still top notch but not as stylish as GR or older Pynchon.
>>
>>7807445
I listened to a bit over half of the Gravity's Rainbow audiobook and it was pretty great. I had to stop though, because it the later files were corrupted or something (it was a torrented copy). Though I obviously read it beforehand. I wouldn't listen to Pinecone on audiobooks in lieu of a first read, but if they maintained the quality of the GR one for all of them, they'd at least be worth a listen after at least one readthrough of the actual books.
>>
I've read Pynchon basically in chronological order - TCoL49, V., then GR. I'm starting Vineland tonight and after that going into M&D. After all that, it'll be time for Against the Day. I'm looking forward to it quite a bit.
Anyway, that's my blog post of the day!
>>
>>7808272
i also read him chronologically, other than V, which i still haven't gotten around to for some reason. i'm hoping he still has another novel in him, as Bleeding Edge is quite the poor send-off, i think. i'd love for him to have a novel equivalent of David Bowie's Blackstar.
>>
>>7808306
V.'s great. You should read it.

Also, I somehow doubt he's going to do anything like Blackstar. Bowie seemed more driven to keep creating things and experimenting than Pinecone, who seems to have settled down and was never that prolific to begin with. He might surprise us with one last GR-esque book, but I highly doubt it at this point. We'll probably get something like IV/BE if he even writes anything else.
>>
>>7808344
yeah, i'll probably order V. off amazon tonight. reading M&D, IV, and Bleeding Edge exhausted me. i needed a change and started reading and rereading Faulkner, and, ahem, some Stephen King.

as for Blackstar, i just hope Pynchon can finish his writing career with a better novel than BE, which left a sour taste, honestly. maybe a shorter work, like IV, or even 49. i was very disappointed with Garcia Marquez's last book and how he never completed his autobiography. Philip Roth also didn't quite while he was ahead. he should've kept Everyman for the grand finale.
>>
A stupid question
why do you guys call him Pinecone?
>>
>>7809674
Because he writes like one, idiot
>>
>>7809674
Because his last name can be mispronounced that way and he's known for giving wacky names to his characters.
>>
>>7807396
I loved it. Gigantic, fuckton of characters and subplots, spans literally every crevice of the earth. Much, much more vast than Gravity's Rainbow imho. Blazed through it in a month and I just didn't want it to end.
Some sections are boring, sure, but they are highly outnumbered by the good ones, and I had problems remembering where the hell I even was when I opened it, so I had to go back a few pages, read up and start again.
I guess it's worth even a second reading. Might go back to it maybe in a year or so.
>>
it's the only Pynch I haven't read yet but I've had the big damn hardcover sitting on my desk for years now

general consensus seems to be that it's good, well worth reading if not quite on GR/M&D level (what is though)
>>
I'm halfway through it right now and it's really solid.
>>
I love Pynchon so much, more stuff happens in 3 pages of any Pinecone novel than in most Murakami books
>>
it's his most accessible book. the only reason it isn't widely read or discussed more frequently is because of its length. AtD is basically an adventure yarn with a series of rotating protagonists held together by common themes, the most prevalent being entropy. apart from IV, it's the only Pynchon i can see making a cinematic impression. as a series, mind you, not a single film.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.