[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ive got bad news everyone. David Foster Wallace the author

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

File: 3.jpg (44KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
44KB, 400x400px
Ive got bad news everyone.

David Foster Wallace the author of Infinite Jest
is dead

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/15/books/15wallace.html?_r=0
>>
Rip
>>
>>7794558

new here, should I read his work? What to start with? What is it like?
>>
I've got some really unfortunate, dolorous information to deliver to you all.

Vladimir Nabokov, famed pedophile and lepidopterist, author of Lolita, and some other books, I guess, is dead.

https://www.nytimes.com/books/97/03/02/lifetimes/nab-v-obit.html
>>
>>7794558
Shakespeare AND Foster Wallace in one year?
Just kill me where I stand
>>
>>7794588
I almost fell for the b8
>>
Press F to pay respects.
>>
>>7794585
start with the greeks
>>
Serious how can you have major issues with depression, if you are:

> white
> talented
> well educated
> obscenely smart
> not ugly

I mean, to me it seems as though, living --existing-- was a punishment for him. For whatever reason.
>>
>>7796342
*Seriously,
>>
>>7794558
apology for poor english

where were you when david foster walls is kill

i was sat at home drinking bile when janos ring

"david foster walls is kill"

"no"

and you??????
>>
>>7796342
It's a chemical imbalance that you inherit from your family genetically.
>>
File: 1408067404225.jpg (65KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1408067404225.jpg
65KB, 640x480px
>>7796342
>> talented
>> obscenely smart
>>
>>7796342
>living --existing-- was a punishment
That's perfectly valid.
>>
File: david.jpg (122KB, 1200x700px) Image search: [Google]
david.jpg
122KB, 1200x700px
>>7794558
And to think I just saw him over some diner. Who would have thought the guy was depressed?
>>
David frista wister????????
>>
>>7796813
say what
>>
>>7796831
David "Fister" Walberg
>>
What caused his depression in the first place?
>>
Hey champs, there's uh something I gotta tell you, and it ain't gonna be pretty.

Thomas Pynchon, you know the dude that wrote Gravity's Rainbow and burned at least twice the amount of paper?, is dead.

http://screenrant.com/paul-thomas-anderson-inherent-vice-april/
>>
>>7796342
>not ugly
>>
>>7796349
This is a lie, depression has a psychological cause which may result in neurophysiological changes (although the monoamine [chemical imbalance] hypothesis is a bit outdated).

>>7796342
My opinion is that depression is more likely if you have a comfy life. There are far less instances of depression in developing countries, which may reflect a lack of knowledge about depression and/or reporting of it in these countries, but I also think these people just have less time for depression. You are constantly fighting against external circumstances, trying to provide for yourself and your family by any means possible. In the western world where all these things are more easily possible, there's more of a focus on the internal world and this causes a lot of people difficulties, especially with widespread atheism and anti-patriotism.
>>
>>7796859
Why do Japanese workers kill themselves because they're depressed from overwork?

Depression runs in families. If one twin has depression there's a 70% chance the other one will develop it.
>>
>>7796859
http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/cause-of-death/suicide/by-country/
>>
>>7796872
>because they're depressed from overwork
>Depression runs in families
Which one is it?
>>
>>7796872
>>7796873
There's definitely a cultural component to suicide (e.g. seppuku in Japan) and you shouldn't conflate suicide and depression, but obviously they are related and I take your point. I just remember seeing studies saying the incidence of depression itself was highest in countries like UK and USA, and much lower in African countries. If I had my uni files with me I could provide the reference, but unfortunately I'm at home. I also take your point that there's a strong genetic component, but as with most things, it needs the 'right' environmental and psychological circumstances to trigger that depression. That's very different to it being a simple chemical imbalance.

I'd love to find out more about depression in Japan, it seems to have a curious history with both depression and suicide, but I've only ever really studied it from a western perspective.
>>
>>7796879
both-- diathesis stress.
>>
I wonder how much my signed copy will be worth next week?
>>
>>7794585
read it

start with consider the lobster

read some other essay books of his

then just read Infinite jest
>>
>>7796859
>This is a lie
/lit/ either proven as dumb as /sci/ or as shitpostingphile as /s4s/
>>
>>7796988
Not sure, but what I do know is there seem to be a lot of /lit/ type people on [s4s].
>>
>>7796988
No, depression is far more than a chemical imbalance that you inherit genetically. Pushing the narrative that it's just like any physical disease is one of the reasons why there is such a high relapse rate following a course of pharmaceuticals - people take their meds, expect to be cured, and sink straight back into depression once the course of treatment is over (because they haven't tackled the actual cause of the depression at all). This is well-known in the scientific community, but good-intentioned people still push the purely biological explanation because they don't want to blame depressed people for being depressed. It's true that there's a genetic component, but the environment and psychological components are just as (if not more) important.

Can back all this up with sources if you like, but that would be lots of effort and I'd much prefer it if you just took my word for it.
>>
>>7797002
>>7796988
>>7796892
>>7796859
>>7796349
Guys, it's both.
>>
>>7797011
I'm happy to say it's both, they're the ones who are saying it's purely biological. I understand why this can be attractive to believe, but it's wrong and can actually harm a depressed person's recovery.
>>
>>7796988
>people here still think in a smart/dumb dichotomy
>>
File: Nighthawks.jpg (690KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Nighthawks.jpg
690KB, 1920x1080px
>Mfw a solid discussion in a joke thread
>>
>>7797036
a /lit/ staple, if any
>>
He was pretty young. How'd he die?
>>
You think he would feel slightly accomplished from releasing IJ but I guess some people just can't be content with life
>>
File: 221.jpg (15KB, 768x501px) Image search: [Google]
221.jpg
15KB, 768x501px
I cry every interdependence day and there is something truly banal about that
>>
rest in piss dave
>>
It would be good to keep in mind that he had recently gone off a helpful medication he had used for long time. Among the effects of his medication change was (iirc) a decrease in efficacy when he tried it again, along with lower efficacy (obviously) of any other method.
>>
>>7797018
I hope you know that every human condition is purely biological.
>>
>>7794558
Shit guys, Tom Clancy is dead.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/02/tom-clancy-dead_n_4029876.html

Are my dimestore action novels art now?
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.