[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who's the best philosopher, /lit/: Kierkegaard, Marcus Aurelius,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

File: Kierkegaard.jpg (49KB, 310x459px) Image search: [Google]
Kierkegaard.jpg
49KB, 310x459px
Who's the best philosopher, /lit/: Kierkegaard, Marcus Aurelius, or Nietzsche?

Personally, I'd choose Kierkegaard.
>>
File: 1454402021420.jpg (6KB, 211x120px) Image search: [Google]
1454402021420.jpg
6KB, 211x120px
>best philosopher
>>
I've read Kierkegaard's stuff. Far too simple for my tastes, unless there's some profundity I missed.
>>
>best philosopher
>>
>>7781032
Obviously I'm aware it's subjective, I just wanted people to argue their points as to which one they think is "the best". People are less heated in arguing about "their favorite", especially on 4chan.
>>
>>7781056
i think it'd be better if you "fucked off" to "reddit"
>>
>Kierkegaard
Level up man. All things are possible.
>>
Philosophy is a spook.

also if you think Aurelius is actually a good philosopher, just fucking lol. He is the most basic bitch of stoicism.
>>
>>7781064
Using Reddit as a go-to insult for anyone you disagree with is the reason why calling out actual Redditors lost its power, which subsequently caused less of them to leave with their tails between their legs.

So next time you're going to spout some shit, use any insult other than "Reddit", because it's making them swarm us.
>>
>>7781053
They say simplicity is an art
>>
>>7782046
>them
>implying you're not Redshite
>>
>>7782054
What makes me "Reddit" other than having a different opinion than you? I would expect Reddit to list Richard Dawkins or Epicurus or some shit as their favorite philosopher if they were really ITT.
>>
Out of those three?
Kierkegaard no doubt.
There's a deceptive nuance in kierkegaard though, it's hard to really understand him if you haven't formed the correct intellectual habits.
I consider kierkegaard as a mystic rather than a philosopher, not to diminish either him or the mystics.

>>7781053
Definitely try jacques maritain.
>>
File: 1452470494464.jpg (44KB, 300x219px) Image search: [Google]
1452470494464.jpg
44KB, 300x219px
Descartes was the best philosopher until he started making shit up. "Cogito ergo sum" has more power to it than any other philosophical axiom imo.
>>
>>7781053
Isn't that how it always is though?

I like Kierkegaard of the three.
>>
>>7781053
>unless there's some profundity I missed
There is
>>
>>7781053
Kierkegaard isn't simple. I don't think he's simple for anyone to read. Probably are missing quite a lot
>>
>>7784332
Let's hope this is a meme.
>>
Hume
>>
>>7781022
Aurelius is just 'my diary to be honest family' tier junky ramblings, Kierkegaard is too much of a christfag to be relevant.

Nietzsche is top tier, people who disagree generally haven't really read him.
>>
>>7784332
What are other philosophical axioms?
>>
>>7784493
Exactly
>>
>>7784332
What's powerful about it? Things need to exist to do things, wow.
>>
>>7784706
Verifying existence is a huge problem in philosophy, and Descartes did it in a way that has survived many critiques after his.
>>
>>7784721
How is it a huge problem? Seems barely relevant to me.
>>
File: 1441153794406.png (245KB, 371x457px) Image search: [Google]
1441153794406.png
245KB, 371x457px
>>7784732
You should leave this board.
>>
File: phil.jpg (162KB, 1086x482px) Image search: [Google]
phil.jpg
162KB, 1086x482px
Marcus Aurelius probably. Kierkegaard and Nietzsche were great writers but obfuscated meaning with artistry. Nietzsche would do this often. People are immediately captivated by his writing and become "Nietzschean", only to later realise that his works lack any real substance. All were minor philosophers Nietzsche being the least remarkable and Kierkegaard somewhere in the middle.

Here are the greatest Western philosophers
>>
I'm babby tier in lit and I started reading Fear and Trembling. About 30 pages in.

Was there anything I should have read before this?
>>
>>7784829
G R E E K S
R
E
E
K
S
>>
>>7784829
I started with Fear and Trembling. It's not ideal, but it can be done. The biggest issue you will have is the terminology that comes from earlier philosophy. Namely what Hegel and Kant used, but he also uses Greek terms. Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics wouldn't be terrible to read beforehand. Elements of the Philosophy of Right by Hegel is what Kierkegaard is responding to for the most part. Hegel's notion of Sittlichkeit triggered Kierkegaard to say the least.

Just Google "Fear and Trembling terms" and there will be a SparkNotes that defines most of the terms for you. It gets easier the more of Kierkegaard's oeuvre you read. Fear and Trembling and then The Sickness Unto Death should give you good footing for the majority of Kierkegaard.

Don't listen to the philistines in here talking smack about K, they talk like they haven't read more than a few excerpts of his books.
>>
>>7784840
which ones, nigger?
>>
Moorcuss pls
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.