[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to find science fiction that isn't shit ? I'll

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 2
Thread images: 1

File: 1409123936587.png (17KB, 620x400px) Image search: [Google]
1409123936587.png
17KB, 620x400px
How to find science fiction that isn't shit ?

I'll try to explain specifically what turned me off in the few books of the genre I read since about a year, please give me some books that aboid these perceived flaws and discuss

>Rendez-vous with rama
My favourite of the bunch but the dialogs are really B-grade and are full of humorous bits that really don't fit in with the narrative, also the characters are really bland and are basically heroes without flaws that just do anything when convenient. Also I didn't really liked the progression of the ships exploration, it was like people advancing in a jungle tediously with an intrigue that would have been better suited to a crime novel which distracted from the mysterious nature of the ship they are exploring

>Canticle for Leibowitz
Plain boring and quite badly written (even though I read a translation so I can't be really assertive), even though the themes of the book looked promising

>Schild's Ladder
This read like a textbook with really little room for intrigue and characters, most of the actual action is protag discussing matters to agree on what they can do then the author describes the scientific advance that magically comes to advances the plot

I read Foundation some time ago which I really liked even though it's probably more of a space opera. I couldn't finish even the first Dune as I was disappointed by the tedious worldbuilding. I enjoy the poetic material by Lovecraft, I enjoyed American Gods and some stuff that is sometimes labeled as literary sci-fi (The Glass Bead Game by Hesse and The Glass Bees) but I don't think that those could actually be called scifi. So I guess what I want is hard scifi that doesn't sound too pedagogical and can actually build compelling characters that are not just convenient shells just there as a device for the author to explain his pet theoremas ? Anyway recommend me stuff I guess
>>
>>7747458
book of the new sun
Thread posts: 2
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.