[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

> mfw Brazil is a powerhouse of philosophy and literary criticism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 6

File: luiz-fernando-carvalho.jpg (37KB, 475x315px) Image search: [Google]
luiz-fernando-carvalho.jpg
37KB, 475x315px
> mfw Brazil is a powerhouse of philosophy and literary criticism that is deliberately ignored by the west because their academics would have to accept being 50 years behind the eternal Brazilian genius
>>
>>7737713
I don't know if you're right, but Portuguese is a godawful language.
>>
>>7737713
>Brazil is a powerhouse of philosophy

Kek, you are out of your mind.
>>
This is the reason no one takes Brazil seriously.

Instead of attempting to be ideological equals, the huehues have this unironic desire to be numero uno.
>>
>>7737726
Excuse me, sir, I'm not Kek. I believe you may be talking to someone else.
>>
>>7737743
Yeah, Hue
>>
>>7737726
>>7737729
> Who cares? Just shut up! Keep reading Habermas!
>>
>>7737767
Why don't you post some samples of what makes Brazil a great philosophy country? I'm asking it seriously.
>>
>>7737788
There really aren't that many examples, but if you manage to get your hands on anything by Michael Löwy, he's p. good.

Also, he's not brazilian, but Willem Flusser is GOAT as well
>>
are any of his movies online?
>>
File: vilem.jpg (48KB, 650x450px) Image search: [Google]
vilem.jpg
48KB, 650x450px
>>7737809
> someone else knows about Flusser

Damn, son. He predicted our smart-phone twitter culture perfectly.

Anyone who's into Sloterdik or Heidegger's writings on technology would love Flusser.
>>
>>7737828
Looks interesting, thanks.
>>
>>7737828
>Flusser
Any particular books/essays?
>>
>>7737860
>>7737873
Anything, really. They're all pretty short and accessible.

"Into the Universe of Technical Images" and "Writings" are good places to start.

Reminder that your smart-phone is a robotic limb and you're less human because of it.
>>
>>7737902
>le cyborgs meme
>>
>>7737905
Literally a better Heidegger.
>>
>>7737902
What if I want a cybernetic limb and a cybernetic eye, m8?
>>
>>7737720
>but Portuguese is a godawful language.

Why?
>>
Pretty sure Brazil's only notable exports are coffee beans and trannies.
>>
>>7737978

One of the best /lit/ posters is Brazilian. One of the few ones who actually had talent to become a great writer. And I only read his stuff in translation.
>>
>>7737991
Who?
>>
>>7738019

A guy who posts mostly in verse; he claims that the verses are from plays he is working on. He also made some criticism posts about Shakespeare, Rimbaud, Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky. I liked the one about Rimbaud a lot. But I have not seen him here for a while now.
>>
>tfw Brazil is actually an ethnic shit soup
>>
>>7738043
Is he a tripfag or something? Share some of his stuff, please.
>>
>>7738043
oh that guy? meme author. Literally genre-tier fiction. no discernible talent.
>>
>>7738060

I don’t saved anything. No, he was not a tripfag. His style of poetry was very characteristic, so one could know it was him. He wrote poems with many metaphors and insisted that metaphors were the most important thing in poetry (to the point I had to tell him to fuck off sometimes). And his criticism was posted and re-posted a lot of times, especially one about War and Peace and the Rimbaud pasta, but that was a long time ago, back in 2013 or something. We ended up getting tired of that same shit. He was also a kind of pain in the ass in some situations, were he defended his views to the point of nauseating everyone around.

He also made a famous Paulo Coelho post that is sometimes copy-pasted were he criticizes Coelho’s work and personality.
>>
>>7738102
>He also made a famous Paulo Coelho post that is sometimes copy-pasted were he criticizes Coelho’s work and personality.

I have this one, lol

I am Brazilian, nationality that, to my shame, is the same as Coelho’s. You want to know what is the problem with Paulo Coelho? Here's the problem:

>a) As a writer.

He is a writer whose books deal only with esoteric themes, new age topics, pseudo-spiritualism and especially religion (a lot of religion). Paulo Coelho writes what people in general (and we all know that the general population does not have anything remarkable in the mental department) want to hear: he talks about the power of the human soul; about God and God's love for everyone; about things like “if you really want something and wish something, than this something will happen for the whole universe is going to conspire to make it happen [go tell that to terminal cancer patients who wish with all their souls, with all the juices in their bodies, the heat in their blood and marrows to just keep on living]”; he speaks that everyone can achieve great things and be significant (usually by just wanting to be so); he pseudo-philosophizes about life after death; talks about his own “experiences” with angels and demons, and so on. In other words: he is just a mix between a self-help writer and a dishonest-priest.
>>
>>7738119

>b) As a human being.

Paulo Coelho is a despicable person. In reality he is a coward that poses as some kind of saint and guru (and anyone with half a neuron knows what gurus are made with). Some examples of the glorious life achievements of this fellow: when he was young he hit a child with a car and fled the spot with fear; in his youth he was also just a scrawny and shy, a fearful and frightened boy (his surname, Coelho, means rabbit, which is appropriate, since this animal is shy and fragile), but today he loves to tell interviewers about how he was "wild" and "crazy" in this days of youth, and that he was able to fight the demon, sober up and, after long years of toil, changed himself into a much more spiritual and enlightened being. He says he can control the weather and see angels and stuff like that (now, anyone who makes such claims is either psychotic or a charlatan, and Coelho’s eyes look too much like the eyes of a dead-fish to indicate that he actually suffers from some sort of mental illness – what remains is charlatanism). In fact you cannot see an interview with Paulo Coelho without wanting to vomit with his air of superiority and the faker-look. He once had an affair with a woman and got her pregnant. After undergoing an abortion, she had a heavy depression. Coelho encouraged her to attempt suicide (hiss reasons were that he through that such mystical and psychoanalytic approach, a kind of shock therapy, could help her). Paulo Coelho (in a biography written about him) appears forging the signature of his own father, plagiarizing a text from Carlos Heitor Cony (another Brazilian writer) and giving interviews about a meet with John Lennon that never happened. He is, in short, a bad character.

He is that typical character of Portuguese-catholic morals: that kind of people who talks about god and religion and saints and reading the bible but that are constantly acting like cowards and weak-willed sinners. You know, the 2 things that the suburbs and neighborhoods have in greater quantity in catholic countries are churches and bars: this is the typical contradiction of this kind of culture. People rant about Jesus and Mary and the holy ways that will conduct you to heaven and think that it is a big sin to miss Church, but this same people, after church and work, will go to the bars and drink all their salaries in cachaça, and gossip about others, and don’t pay the bills, and don’t go to school, and lie, and cheat, etc.
>>
>>7738121
>He says he can control the weather and see angels and stuff like that (now, anyone who makes such claims is either psychotic or a charlatan
Is that really true? Sounds like a maniac, that one.
>>
>>7737902
>you're less human because of it.

good
>>
>>7737873
You're good with anything, since he took "bringing contemporary philosophy to amateur readers" as a sort of mission.

That being said, I'm particularly fond of Philosophy of the Black Box

>>7737828
Actually, reading as much of him as I can get is one of my missions this year, I had a aesthetics professor who did her phD on him and fell in love with his stuff.

>>7737991
Tbqh, most brazilians I've met here are pretty level headed individuals, though you occasionally get the new brazilian right shitposters.
>>
>>7737902
>Reminder that your smart-phone is a robotic limb and you're less human because of it.

Reminder that a pen is a mechanical limb and you're less human because of it.

Yes, that's how it works right? Tools make us less human.

This is why people don't take Flusser seriously. Such superficial and shallow understanding of technology.
>>
File: IMG_20160212_195758.jpg (44KB, 504x363px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160212_195758.jpg
44KB, 504x363px
>>7737971
Sounds grotesque to me senpai
>>
>>7738179
>grotesque

In what sense? Because it sounds aggressive? Too many slangs?
>>
>>7738019
that based anon who loves Tolstoy

he's white, too not that it matters
>>
>>7738174
>Yes, that's how it works right? Tools make us less human.
Yes.
>>
>>7738194
>Yes.

Strip naked, go back to the jungle and have fun living in your cave and killing animals with your bare hands.

Retard.

Tools basically define humanity.
>>
>>7738179

Well, you usually don’t have any contact with it, so is normal that it sounds grotesque to you. But have you ever thought that English is common to most people because of its cultural and economic preeminence? Portuguese is much more similar to the Latin languages and less harsh than the Saxon ones, so if you pick someone that has never heard neither Portuguese nor English it is much more likely that this person will find Portuguese more sweet sounding.
>>
>>7738201
I've never read Flusser (or Heidegger), but I suppose the problem doesn't come from the use of tools - even though I don't think the "tools separate us from humanity" is necessarily wrong - but in the prevalence of said tools in the mediation of human life, and that's rather easy to understand once you take mass media (which I assume it's what he was arguing against) and modern communication technology.

Remember Benjamin, friends: technique is not the problem, but the alienation of bare life by the hands of technique
>>
Aight faggots, Raduan Nassar's two novels just got translated to english and there is absolutely NO REASON WHATSOEVER not to read them, since they're A) very good and B) pretty small
>>
>>7738174
Do you even read?

http://thirdrailquarterly.org/wp-content/uploads/03_Flusser_TTR5.pdf
>>
>CTRL + F
>40 replies; no Olavo de Carvalho

Decepcionado com vocês.
>>
>>7738174
A new method of manufacturing—i.e. of functioning—is coming into being: The human being is a functionary of robots that function as a function of him. This new human being, the functionary, is linked to robots by thousands of partly invisible threads: Wherever he goes, stands or lies, he carries the robots around with him (or is carried around by them), and whatever he does or suffers can be interpreted as a function of the robot.
>>
>>7738239
>pseudo-philosopher who cashes in on murrica-addicted kids
>any worth

in the immortal words of James "Fart-eater" Joyce: Kékkek
>>
>>7738228
>http://thirdrailquarterly.org/wp-content/uploads/03_Flusser_TTR5.pdf

>The name that zoological taxonomy gives to our kind—homo sapiens sapiens—expresses the opinion that we are to be distinguished from the kinds of hominid that preceded us by a double dose of wis-dom.

Already rolling my eyes.
>>
>>7738247
>Implying he's wrong
I'd point you to Warburg's investigations of the quatrocento, but I doub't you'll read it anyway
>>
>>7737720
Brazilian here. I'm a fluent speaker of English, French, Japanese and German. Seriously, on beauty and complexity I would order it from best to worst French, Japanese, Portuguese, German and just then English, but that's just my opinion and I guess you don't care about it.
>>
>>7738060
>Share some of his stuff, please

I have saved two of his poems, if you want them.
>>
>>7738184
It sounds like an illiterate farmer speaking his local Spanish dialect.
>>
>>7738262
Link me to some good Brazilian stuff then.
>>
>>7738269
Texts? Videos of people speaking portuguese? What do you want m8
>>
>>7738263
Yes, please.
>>
>>7738264
>his local Spanish dialect.

Brazilian portuguese, to me, is more beautiful than Spanish.
>>
>>7738264
In Brazil, Spanish is the funny language.
>>
>>7737902
Human Beings are disgusting, nothing of value was lost. Can't wait for the full cyborgs era.
>>
>>7738272
Anything you can think of that sounds good.
>>
>>7738273

>Poem written about snow, but without using the word snow.

When the heavens are sick with the flu and cold fever
And the veins of the clouds vitrify;
When the spongy blood-cells of the mist crystallize in pearls
And the sick sun wraps himself in blankets of fog to fall sleep,
Then it is the time when the atmosphere dissolves itself into diamonds
And the sky is fragmented in flour of frost.
It is then that the trembling sowing of the winter skies start,
Covering the whole world with its nebulous feathers,
As if the angels, in the changes, peeled their wings.
The fields of wheat, the vales of rye are all covered;
Covered are the vineyards where the bunches of grapes
(Nurseries of ruby and spherical tadpoles and tinct embryos)
Become fat with sugar and tanned with tannin.
The forests of maples and oaks too,
The pine trees that transpire sap with breath of mint, the sweat of winter,
The mossy emperor’s with armies of foliage,
They are all dressed in spider-webs knitted with crystals.
Heavenly deposits of silver drizzle countless evanescent flowers
Over the dark sea that sparkle and hisses with salt
And belch foam in the eternal heartburn of the waves.
Frost rides smoothly, with thousands of small cotton fairies,
The backs of cattle, which are grouped together to share heat,
And in pinching sweaters of ice involve the bulls and calves.
Covered are the wooden huts of the shepherds,
The sheds and corrals that smell of iron and coal,
And further along, towards the own synthetic heart of civilization,
The concrete skeletons of the cities are also coated,
And the asphalt, the black arteries that feed the urban world,
Where the blood of mankind never ceases to flow
And the tingle of the cars never stops.
Covered are the homes of brick and the buildings of steel;
And the cars, streetlights, parks, churches;
Covered are the cemeteries where bones and memory sleep.
So begins the silent sprinkling of the winter skies,
The spectral rain of whiteness that drowns the entire surface of the universe
(The epidermis of the world, that looks to the heavens in vain questioning and confused admiration)
With the ghosts that the infinite horizons bleeds as blankets,
The glacial shroud that entombs life in an odorless desert of sugar.
And then, for a single grain of time in the flow of existence, being and nothingness embrace:
For this polar ceremony unites, for a brief moment, the living and the dead:
Living and dead share this albino sleep and ivory silence,
This reflex of nothingness and twin brother of emptiness,
This imitation of the complete absence of existence
That the immaculate shroud and winter mourning consecrated upon Earth.
>>
>>7738184
It's a nasty-sounding language filled with screeching rat noises.
>>
Anyone from MG here? I need people to talk to about non-pleb shit

>>7738274
south american spanish and portuguese are both better than their european counterparts.

Tbqh, PT-PT is the ugliest form of portuguese there is, african portuguese is OK too, though a bit weird

>>7738278
>>>/sci/

>>7738279
In this case I point you to Mutantes-era Rita Lee, her pronounciation is one of the softest, cutest things there are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--uRcXZQcoI

>>7738285
Any germanic language is leagues worse than any latin language in that department
>>
>>7738273

To a Girl

Naked in my sheets, you are a warm and fragrant nest,
An island of swans, amid the ghostly albino icy sea of the empty bed.
When I embrace you, when I feel your warm breasts pressed against my chest,
It’s like if you fed me with your warmth,
As if my lungs could drink the vitality that curls inside of you:
You are the hot and sweet breath that fills the cavity of my ribs with caresses.
When I hold you, when I smell your skin,
And the softness of your body,
I enter a state of perfect happiness,
I drown in your being, in the deluge of your graces;
And if the angels descend from the heavens and promised me that this would be eternity,
To be forever joined to you, with my veins entangled in your veins,
With my heart kissing your heart every heartbeat,
If they promised me that this would be eternity,
I would walk smiling toward death:
Depart into the abyss as a to a long desired bed.
So many were the nights in which I touched the cool sheets dreaming to touch your skin;
So many nights I hugged the inanimate pillow
Dreaming that it was your body that was dissolving against my sweet-salivating skin;
So many nights where fantasies danced over my eyelids
And mirages sat on my pupils to mock my hunger.
But at last I possessed you,
At last the real world of fertility crept into my gray world of ashes:
Happiness, that shy bird that always avoided me,
Now made its nest of golden straw in my heart.
There is no way to mine all the riches of your body,
To dig all the diamonds of your soul:
Even if eternity was given to me as a gift,
The endless chain of centuries and millennia as a private garden,
I could not exhaust all the riches, all the simple and perfect details
That lurk in you.
There would always be a small unknown rose, a forgotten ruby,
A sapphire, a coral lost somewhere,
And the gigantic electric jungle of your neurons,
The forge of so many wonders and nursery of unnamed glories.
When death takes us, if I meet you in heaven,
I want to take you by the hand to the pools of light,
The lakes where honey of stars flows in dams,
And I want to bathe your naked body with this warm and bright milk;
I want to lather your body with the foam of nebulae,
And caress you in front of the angels, before the gods,
And see in the eyes of this primordial entourage
The comprehension that the entwine of our bodies is beauty,
A beauty in which I want to drown,
Like a hummingbird drowning in nectar and honey.
>>
>>7738252

I didn't imply that he was wrong, but whenever someone tries to rename our species I just roll my eyes. I've read so many by now that it just so banal.

Where he does go wrong is:
". The only crucial thing is that the factory of the future will have to be the place where homo faber becomes homo sapiens sapiens because he has realized that manufacturing means the same thing as learning i.e. acquiring, producing and passing on information."

>he has realized that manufacturing means the same thing as learning i.e. acquiring, producing and passing on information.

He implies that's not already the case, clearly never worked in a factory before.
>>
>>7738288
>Any germanic language is leagues worse than any latin language in that department

this
>>
We all agree that Italian is the best sounding language in the world, right?
>>
>>7738288
I can't make much of the sounds of her voice with all this shitty guitar and keyboards.
>>
>>7738291
Well, repetition is using previously aquired information, and manufacturing is repetition, the information being the technique emplyed. You're thinking of information as merely "written data" or something like that, when literally any process of repetition requires information production and transmition.
>>
>>7738228
Funny how his conception of science is only tangible in its relationship to sites of material production and never as an integrated body of knowledge essential to the structure which founds its social order.
>>
I am this guy:

>>7738295

And I am with you: >>7738296
>>
>>7738300
Are you by any means on the spectrum? Not being able to discern different sounds is a characteristic.

>>7738296
My favourite would probably be french, but italian is GOAT as well
>>
>>7737720
I'm Portuguese and I agree with this 100%.
My luck is that unlike the Spanish, we don't dub everything that's not in our language.

So I grew up watching cartoons and playing games, all in English, and became fluent with it.

I can't stand my own language, specially when it's used in acting. It's slow, dull and too dramatic. It's like Portuguese was made by overly emotional people. And it kinda makes sense since we invented the musical style "Fado" (fate) and the word "Saudade" (It describes a deep emotional state of nostalgic or profound melancholic longing for an absent something or someone that one loves)

Portuguese are depressing people. I think this is why they love to party so much and why they act so energetic. It's like a secondary effect of their social depression.
>>
>>7738310
Except I've never listened to the language before. You're native speaker, so it's clearly easier for you to distinguish sounds particular to your language, even when they're buried among noisy electric instruments. Perhaps you could link me to something less noisy?
>>
>>7738320
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iHHvNI6OKQ

Have this then, but holy fucking shit dude, get either your ears or your autism levels checked, because I'm not fluent in say, swedish, and yet I can listen to Ebba Grön and distinguish words from instruments, and that's a TAD harder than anything by os Mutantes, specially the song I linked you.
>>
>>7738319
Your portuguese is awful though.

Also, every romanic language is "emotional", specially in comparison to germanic ones, aka "autism speaks"
>>
>>7738342
Thanks for the link. I agree with that anon, it sounds godawful.
>>
troll thread

or delusional
>>
>>7738301
>when literally any process of repetition requires information production and transmition.

That's exactly why he's wrong about people not yet realizing that manufacturing means the same thing as learning.

Because people who work in factories already realize that there is more than just the written word as data.

Common proverb in factories: "practice makes perfect".

"Doing" is a better tool of learning than any book. "Experience is the best school."

etc.....

Literally nothing new. Old proverbs in a new jacket.
>>
>>7737713

Portuguese (at least the Brazilian one) is beautiful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRqI5R6L7ow
>>
>>7738379
Portuguese sounds like Spanish spoken by someone with Down syndrome.
>>
>>7738319
E como caralhos você não se orgulha e é apaixonado por essa língua? Puta que pariu, o Português é provavelmente uma das poucas línguas latinas que possibilita a existência de um Poeta das Emoções, o caralhudo Pessoa.

>>7738279
Listen to some Fado, Chico Buarque, Caetano Veloso and Os Mutantes just for a taste. Damn, this language melody is just so peculiar and delightful to listen...
Just don't let our films to influence your opinion on Portuguese, since Brazil, at least, follows a neorealistic design on our best works, which takes our sound system to Rossellini shit tier and the beauty of the portuguese pronounce may be prejudiced.
>>
>>7738380
Which is funny since portuguese is leagues more complex than spanish (I like both though)
>>
>>7738380

It sounds like a refined version of Spanish. To my ears the Brazilian Portuguese is better (I'm German). I just don’t understand how the Portuguese from Portugal can be so different.

Also, Brazil is much more interesting than either Spain or Portugal. Spanish people are extremely egocentric and proud, but I don’t know about what they brag so much.
>>
For non portuguese speakers, have a comparison of some accents reading the same text for comparison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dRchZ-vRAI BR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbpbLk0-VcQ PT
>>
>>7738169
A lot of spooks in this post.
>>
>>7738379
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRqI5R6L7ow

So sweet :)

Who is she?
>>
>>7738060
>>7738273

I saved this one:

"This is from the play that I am writing. The characters that are speaking are demonic ghosts, and they are taking pleasure in nothing that a gigantic storm is going to strike the land and kill several people. They’re verses, in the Portuguese original, are all rhymed couplets, like: AA, BB, CC, DD, etc.

Sorry for the bad translation, and once again: original is in Portuguese, and rhymed.

Ghost of a Girl (To the ghost of the bloody young woman): And you, my sister, and you: where were you?

Ghost of bloody young woman: Walking inside the clouds of the tempest,
Upon the mists and the dark of the scabby
Storm that invades the heavens with gall.
This sky-coma eats with its muddy veils
The galaxies: the brain of heaven;
Nightmares grease with oily demons
The infinite and the stars, their neurons.

Ghost of a Girl: And she will give birth, she will give birth?

Ghost of bloody young woman: Yes. I wandered inside it’s collied placenta
And I saw that she was pregnant with pepper:
The embryos of the thunder narrated to me,
The tadpoles of lightning told me
That future days will create claws and teeth:
They will be panthers roaring shooting torches;
Suns of petroleum will wander in the winds,
The clouds will have typhoons as offspring,
The thunders will swoop (blond hawks),
Cumulus will rip shatter their lungs
And crush the vitreous grapes of their alveoli
In a wine made of hail, ice and rain.
The nights will scream like owls,
And the cold mists, dirty-water wandering fairies,
Will step the dusty roads in muddy swamps;
The pastures and the grass will dissolve in mucus
And, as dead and moldy wood-trunks,
The cattle, marooned and wet, will be devoured
By termites, bed-bugs and beetles.
The chaos will lay the eggs of its vile treasures:
The atmosphere will be invaded by a fiery hornet's nest,
The soil by slime, snow and mist.
The flu and cough will gnaw the chests,
The fever will hover like fog over the beds.
Rain, winds, lightning, tornadoes,
They will prey upon woods, meadows and villages:
Death will establish its empire upon Earth
And cloud the land under a snowy cemetery
As the spider, that in a white and silent end,
Drowns the moth within its satin cloth."
>>
>>7738543
Dead.
>>
>>7738555

And also this one:

"This is the song that a drowned entity chants in a play that I am writing. These are ghosts, kind like the witches in Macbeth: there are a few of them, one of them a drowned man (or demon). When one of the creatures ask him were he were he sings this song as an answer. The original is in Portuguese (I will post it in a second post).

Thorough lakes and through rivers, on the sea, on the abyss,
In the steppes of slime and pitch I wandered,
Under shrouds of salt, under liquid thunders:
Worlds where light never stepped I stepped.

Ghosts of babies I found crying in the lakes:
They're mothers have drowned them in perpetual cold;
For affection and warmth they are claiming for centuries,
But in vain: not even they're mothers love them.

The specters of raped girls
I saw on the rivers, slime is now they're sepulture;
They died for the hunger of some knave,
And the water consecrate them in mermaids of bitterness.

A green tiger is the sea, sweating foam,
Getting fatter with the winds, roaring waves;
Boats are fleas that pollute his back;
His hurricanes clean him of such wounds.

Man is the caviar of the shark,
And the mariners are the spawn of the ships;
They're crying involves the sea with mist, the choir
Of the Golgotha of masts lost in the emptiness.

The abyss his on abysses have, nights on the night:
There the Kraken waltz, the Leviathan dances;
There they breast-feed the whales, their calves;
They are kings of chaos, they are the angels of Satan.

Like anchors the human spirit languishes:
It marches from the sun into the cold den of the ocean.

The original Portuguese version. The rhymes are xAxA, xBxB, xCxC, etc: only the second and fourth verses rhyme.

It ends with a coda of rhyming verses."
>>
>>7738379
> not posting the GOAT original version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8Kt14qDK94

>>7738394
> I just don’t understand how the Portuguese from Portugal can be so different.

Contintental Portuguese sounds like Russian/Ukrainian at times.
>>
File: RobetoSchwarzGOAT.jpg (110KB, 434x650px) Image search: [Google]
RobetoSchwarzGOAT.jpg
110KB, 434x650px
>>
>>7738262
what is it that makes one language better than another?
>>
File: image.jpg (40KB, 573x609px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40KB, 573x609px
>brazilian intellectuals
>>
>>7738808

I do not know any Brazilian intellectual, yet I wonder: you could write better poetry than the br excerpts posted in this thread?

Could post a better poem to testify your racial and cultural superiority? Or any prose passage of your own production?
>>
>>7738840
He posted a reaction picture from a shitty american tv adaptation of genre literature, of course he can't.
>>
File: smugcontentwojak.png (5KB, 213x237px) Image search: [Google]
smugcontentwojak.png
5KB, 213x237px
>about to into lit
>figure I'd read the Iliad
>someone on /lit/ warns me about falling for the greek meme
>tfw started with the Brazilians instead

feels good
>>
>>7738840
You've outted yourself lad.
>>
>>7739204
Are you Brazilian? Which authors did you read first?
>>
>>7739204
I'm not Brazilian, but I have to say the Iliad is a pretty shit place to start. So is most BR lit for that matter.
>>
>>7738618
Look at this stupid wannabe philosopher
>>
>>7738281
>>7738290
they don't translate very well, but also there's no content there. it's 100% description by reference, as you said, entirely metaphorical, entirely a frolicking in pretty words, that, added up, make a saccharine and repulsive thing. also,
>de
is what I believe is the standard in Portuguese and he shoves it down the reader's throat. it's really sickening after awhile, that's my criticism, these poems have no sense of proportion, no balance, and therefore no harmony; they are saturations of one register, one way of speaking, one subject matter--to the exclusion of all else. beauty is good proportion, and it's absent here.

i like the guy's criticism but i would not trust his poetry
>>
Brazilian philo PhD here. You're clearly delusional, my friend. Our philosophy departments have been stuck in a neo-marxist limbo for decades. The guy who's arguably Brazil's biggest expoent in the field - Newton da Costa - is widely negligenced because there's no analytical tradition in our country. The only few names worth your time will be very hard to find, while literal meme authors - Marilena Chauí, Paulo Freire- have popstar status.
>>
bump! :)
>>
>>7739204
What books did you read senpai?
>>
>>7738290
it sickens me to know that I'll never write anything this beautiful
>>
Yeah sure thing João
>>
>>7738618
I didn't say one language is better than another. I just said my opinion about which is more delightful for writing, speaking and listening.
>>
>>7738296
italian and portuguese are patrician sister languages

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aot4CXFVzds
>>
>>7740238

God, you have bad taste for poetry
>>
>>7740238

Are you br too?
>>
>>7738262
I speak almost the same languages and your list is pretty accurate but I'd put German after french, even if it's not pretty it's really complex and allows certain ideas to be expressed better in it.
>>
>>7738290
>>7738281
Terrible
>>
Wait I'm on /lit/? I thought I was on /his/
>>
>>7738281
>>7738290
>>7738555
>>7738565

I liked those a lot, this guy is really talented.

Wish I was there in the time of his critics, tough.
Thread posts: 111
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.