[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

There's a lot of talk on here about Marxism and Cultural

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: das-kapital-bank.jpg (25KB, 384x384px) Image search: [Google]
das-kapital-bank.jpg
25KB, 384x384px
There's a lot of talk on here about Marxism and Cultural Marxism.
I don't really know anything about Marxism past the basics. Should I read Das Kapital or is there something else I should read to get a grasp on what Marxism is all about?
Or should I just skip learning about it all together?
>>
only read Capital if you have a decent grasp of classical political economy
>>
>>7716368
Cultural Marxism is a 99% conspiratorial reading of The Frankfurt School by uneducated monkeys who truly believe that generational mass conspiracies can exist in a species as prone to gossip as this one.

As far as readings in Marxism, oxfordbibliographies will give you numerous well received peer reviewed texts.
>>
>>7716377
I read the beginning where he talks about commodities and the different "values" and I understood it completely. Does it get more difficult?
>>
if your read that you'll get cheated on, lol
>>
File: fatalism.gif (498KB, 450x338px) Image search: [Google]
fatalism.gif
498KB, 450x338px
>>7716429
Once you get past the first 400 pages Karl starts listing off historical examples and goes on about machinery and cooperation.
Basically the first 400 pages are required, and then the rest of vol.1 and 2 is filler, with vol. 3 refining the original theory(basically explains why capitalism will synthesize into a new form of economy).
>>
>>7716527
What kind of texts would you recommend as background for that "political economy"?

I'm not OP but have similarly been interested in reading Marx, since I know a lot of people who discuss him and none who have actually read him.
>>
>>7716368
skip it and read something logical like austrian school
>>
>>7716402
The worst thing about the whole 'cultural marxism' thing is how the people who argue that it exists shun academia completely, and so they only trust contextless raw data. This makes any argument against them completely powerless- especially when they have their own cherrypicked raw data to choose from.
>>
>>7716368
start here:
https://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1865/value-price-profit/index.htm

Is a short book but it explains the basic concept "surplus value" needed to understand Marx.
>>
>>7716611
You should read Ricardos principles of political economy and taxation. Marx is very much a Ricardian which is lost on most critics who see his economic work as something conjured up for polemical purposes. If you want more depth then read Adam smith however Ricardo massively improved and condenses the theories contained within wealth of nations so it's not required reading
>>
check youtube for david harvey lectures for the first volume, I think he put it in writing as well if you prefer
>>
>Martin Jay's Dialectical Imagination
>Gramsci reader: http://ouleft.org/wp-content/uploads/gramsci-reader.pdf
>Descriptions of Marx / Marxian thought are better at your stage than actually reading Marx (there is perennial disagreement about what constitutes orthodox Marxism)
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/marx/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Base_and_superstructure
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/althusser/
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/critical-theory/

Above all, remember: 99.99% of people who are diehard Marxists or Marxian-offshoot-ists have read far more ABOUT and spent more time IN THE MILIEU OF what they claim to have actually read in depth.

The vast majority of committed Marxists had some vaguely orthodox version of Marx slowly sediment in their mind over the course of several years in college. Capital in particular is more a rite of passage than a Bible.
>>
>>7717819
>>7717819
David Harvey is a shit tier Marxist like that cretin Richard Wolff. If you have a modicum of intelligence just read it raw. Most 'Marxists' just distort your understanding. Whatever you do do not read political Marxists before the man himself
>>
>>7717863
This is a totally erroneous view. Reading about Marx is not the way to go about it. Of any thinker I have read about Marx is the one whose thoughts are the most distorted by both supporters and opponents
>>
Please, it's just 'Capital', none of this Das Kapital stuff. You won't believe how much this annoys me.
>>
>>7716402
The thread should have ended here.
>>
Just read "Karl Marx and the Close of His System" by Eugen Böhm von Bawerk and understand why Marxism is bullshit.
>>
>>7718728
This is not what OP's asking for, you faggot.
>>
>>7717654
Thanks for the help!
>>
>>7716368
Read Thomas Sowells On Marx, all you need to know there.
>>
>>7716368
Fredric Jameson's The Political Unconscious draws arcanely on the whole Marxist tradition; so in introducing the book in his Jameson, Althusser, Marx: An Introduction to The Political Unconscious, William C. Dowling furnishes a very concise, inimitably compact introduction to Marxism proper.
>>
>>7716402
>mylitary spending=good
>welfare spending=evil
Hahahahaha. Sure.
>>
File: Project Timeline.png (81KB, 1916x766px) Image search: [Google]
Project Timeline.png
81KB, 1916x766px
>>7717654
Someone read Sowell.
>>7716611
You should read Jean Baptiste Say btw, go like this.
>Wealth of Nations (Critique on merchantalism and introduction of classic economy)
> A Treatise on Political Economy (Explains everything of Classic Economy)
>On the Principles of Political Economy and Taxation (Explains the theory of Rent and Taxation in wide detail.)

Smith is the introduction, Say is the complete explination and Ricardo fills the essential gaps.
>>
>>7719204
Have you?
Enlighten us.
>>
>>7720258
Never heard of sowell so no I haven't read him
>>
>>7720258
Oh holy shit, that's wildly helpful. Thanks so much!
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.