[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Halfway through read The Death of Ivan Ilyich and am now at my

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: 18386.jpg (20KB, 317x475px) Image search: [Google]
18386.jpg
20KB, 317x475px
Halfway through read The Death of Ivan Ilyich and am now at my grandmothers death bed. Should I continue and do you have any other suggestions for things to perhaps read instead?

She is dying of cancer and is Christian and is taking it very well. She is very practical about the whole thing and says that she has gotten to see her children grow up and to know her grandchildren. I am in no way religious and didn't know if I could continue reading the story as it was hard seeing her in the state that she is.
>>
why don't you fucking read the book before you make a stupid blogpost about your grandma
>>
I remember reading this book on a summer afternoon at the park. My uncle, who would go on to have three affairs, two illegitimate children and one heart attack, was with his wife then, my mother was hanging by the public restrooms in case of an emergency (which never emerged); and I entertained certain sexual speculations about a girl who had smiled at me on the bus the week before. How I wish I was 17 again.
>>
>>7712489
One if the most boring books ive read.
Tolstoy is such a drag.
Want to read War and Peace, is boring lile this one?
>>
File: seriously.jpg (179KB, 1363x799px) Image search: [Google]
seriously.jpg
179KB, 1363x799px
>>7712680
>>
>>7712493
Cause I'm a little bitch and I didn't know if I could handle it emotionally to continue
>>
>>7712493
>>7712739
Hence asking if should continue?
>>
>>7712739
>I didn't know if I could handle it emotionally
How the fuck would we know? We don't even know you.

Tho it's a short book; it's not too much of a hassle to reread it at a later point.
>>
don't be a pussy, finish what you've started
>>
>>7712764
sorry about your grandma though f a m
>>
>>7712764
My balls are under this skirt somewhere uugh. I just don't know if I should do it now or let some time pass after her death and then do it.

>>7712768
Thanks

Anyone have any recs about books about dealing with death in general?
>>
>>7712680
>>7712489
I'm halfway through it as well and it's one of the most well written things I've ever read. The prose is just perfect, you can tell he has total control of the narrative element.
>>7712489
I know that feel, my grandma died of cancer when I was 13, she was the person I loved the most. At the end she wasn't death yet but wasn't alive anymore either, she was just a degenerated shell without a consciusness, I'll never forget how she looked like and how I felt.

Honestly I don't know what to say to you, I don't think there's anything right to say.
>>
drop it and read something else instead
>>
>>7712489
You cannot live in fear of death, OP. Read it, digest it, and come to terms with what you will inevitably have to face. Better to accept it now than in the potentially-terrifying moments before you're forced to.
>>
>>7712739
It has a happy ending.
>>
>>7713759
he dies
>>
>>7714051
Well, he was a faggot, serves him right. I call that a happy ending.
>>
>>7713077
Are you seriously calling a translation "one of the most well written things" you've ever read? Neck yourself lad
>>
>>7714975
Yes, the structure is still there. Prose-wise it's one of the most well written things I've read.
>>
>>7714975
Retarded parrot detected.
>>
>>7712489
I thought this book was a bit overrated compared to Tolstoy's other works.
The death scene in War and Peace (you know whose) expressed kinda the same idea but was way more original and better written. That dream sequence, the little kid, the conversations of the girls, the build-up, the crushed hopes...I still get sad when I think about it. Right now I'd say it's the most powerful chapter in all of literature.
>>
>>7712489
It's pretty good, but it's also the most unnecessarily long work I think I've ever read, which matches the theme pretty well. Seriously, though, the later chapters are filled with so much repetitive narrative that you wouldn't be remiss to skip over a couple.
>>
so 30 pages in?
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.