[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are /lit/'s thoughts on this? Is it better than

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: images.jpg (34KB, 310x475px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
34KB, 310x475px
What are /lit/'s thoughts on this? Is it better than his other works?
>>
>>7695993
who cares? Orwell was a pleb who just wrote basic novels for kids to 'study' in school.
>>
>>7696078
Homage to Catalonia is nice tho
>>
>>7696078
Okay. Post the list of books you consider not pleb so I can read them.
>>
>>7696110
Lolita - Nabokov
Brothers Karamozov - Dosty
Crime and Punishment - Dosty
>>
>>7695993

Yes. Orwell is better at essays than fiction.

>>7696078

You're an idiot. The cultural legacy of 1984 is enormous. Down and Out in Paris and London and Homage to Catalonia are excellent works in their own rights, Homage to Catalonia especially is perhaps the greatest literary account of the Spanish Civil War in existence.

But I'm sure you've read nothing but 1984 and Animal Farm.
>>
>>7696113
>Lolita - Nabokov

pleb pedo

>Brothers Karamozov - Dosty

pleb communist part 1

>Crime and Punishment - Dosty

pleb communist part 2

is that all you've got?
>>
>>7696115
Dosty is freaking epic. He has really deep themes and messages.
>>
>>7696113
>>7696118

Dostoevsky is literally babbys first literature.

Are you 17-18?
>>
>>7695993
I enjoyed a lot of Orwell's essays.

Shooting an Elephant
Inside the Whale
Politics and the English Language
and his essays on Dickens and Kipling are particular favorites of mine
>>
>>7696123
You're seriously trying to pull off the whole 'because teenagers can read it, it's shit.' Sorry, but 90% of the Western Canon can be read by a smart teenager. Maybe not at the highest level of interpretation/appreciation, but without much trouble nonetheless. They're just stories, man. There's nothing esoteric about it.
>>
>>7696125
>this
Folks really owe it to themselves to read up on his essays. Shooting an Elephant was excellent. I also enjoyed his review on Miller's Tropic of Cancer.
>>
>>7696232
When it comes to essays (in general), is there much pre-reading needed? For example, if I wanted to read Schopenhauer's essays, would I need to have read any of his philosophical works?
>>
>>7696246
I don't know why one would need to read his novels first in order to read his essays. Dig in and read what you enjoy.
>>
>>7695993

I haven't read that particular collection, but I've almost certainly read everything in it. There's a four-volume set of his essays, correspondence, newspaper writings etc that's well worth getting.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.