[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any critiques on pic related? Enjoying the audio book right now

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: Outliers.jpg (121KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Outliers.jpg
121KB, 1280x1024px
Any critiques on pic related? Enjoying the audio book right now (don't kill me). Maybe one of the other boards are better for this, now?
>>
ruined my life

this psedoscience mulatto should be shot
>>
>>7695966
ask /sci/ about this. I know it's supposed to be a more user friendly understanding of "success", or whatever, it relies on math too much, to get that thesis across.
/lit/ is more about stories of old racoons.
>>
File: 5188139880_531600eea9_o.jpg (118KB, 402x600px) Image search: [Google]
5188139880_531600eea9_o.jpg
118KB, 402x600px
>>7695974
could you talk a little more about it?
>>
>>7695966
gladwell is such a fucking hack and I know calling people hacks is a meme around here but he is genuinely a fucking hack

he interprets studies loosely at best and does everything he can to create apparently logical and easy narratives that don't stand actual scrutiny and I hate how reading his books is supposed to make you smarter

I suggest everyone who hasn't read his books to read them while keeping in mind what I said above so you don't fall for this low-middlebrow's lowest common denominator thrash and can feel earnedly superior over the retards who base cognitive processes on the "information" contained in his books
>>
>>7695984
This. I've been reading his other book "Blink", and the examples he keeps giving are incredibly half-baked and don't stand up to scrutiny at all.

The whole concept is still quite interesting, however.
>>
>>7695984
>>7695987
Thanks, both of you. He seems to run to fast and loose with finding correlation with new data mining techniques.
I don't think these are totally in-credible thoughts but they should just be left as exercises.
>>
>>7695966
It's basically some sort of stupid self-help book disguised as a scientific study.
>>
>>7696025
can't disagree with this, from what I'm hearing
>>
File: 1307810450949.jpg (1MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1307810450949.jpg
1MB, 1920x1200px
It's the last 1/8th of this that becomes insidious. The "Summer Vacation" shit is garbage. I mean, it's so bad that you maybe should not pay attention to the rest of this book.

Now what sucks, is that I like the original three quarters of this book. But, the rest is, well, not very good. Too bad.
>>
Random mix of stories thst dont really line up. First is the 10000 bour rule that says you can master anything if you put in that magic hours of work. He doesnt say much about ow the hours are spent or the fact that the most famous muiscians also had great music teachers and most opportunity.

The author than talks about how jewish lawyers became successful by taking cases other firms won't.

The last part of the book is about his family and how he is mulatto which doesn't really fit with anything else.

So the message I got was that you just gotta punch that time card 10k times and that everybody can be a master and genetics, upbringing , opportunity and luck don't matter in
the end.

sorry the bad summary, it has been a few years since I wasted time reading this and I resent the book
>>
>>7696197

He actually argues in the book that how you spend those 10k hour is pretty important and does point out the value of mentors and opportunity, e.g. mentioning the music school and the stage the Beatles played at for years, or Bill Gates going to a fancy private school that had a computer in the 60's and learning up to Calc IV before even graduating high school.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.