[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So long story short guys, I'm a stemfag and need to write

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

So long story short guys, I'm a stemfag and need to write an essay on "Man is condemned to be free" by tomorrow. Can you guys help? Please?
>>
That quote is attributable to JP Sartre. But honestly could you not argue over determinism without literature? Doesn't STEM cover this?
>>
>helping my enemy
''no''
>>
>>7678992
Unfortunately no
>>
>>7678995
But arent you supposed to keep your enemies closer?
>>
>>7679002
Wouldn't screwing with OP's chances of getting good results and a job eventually achieve that?
>>
>>7678997
Well essentially the question of determinism and free will has several theories to answer it--each with various advocates. Free will in the sense of the above quote is a comment on atheism...essentially that since no meaningful choices are possible (i.e. there is no given meaning to any choice or action taken), then meaning can only be derived synthetically from choices, as a sort of interior commentary. This self-criticism, the concept of "authenticity'' creates angst, which is where the whole "doom" thing comes from...ultimately the choices you make as a person can be attributed with meaning in retrospect, but no choice you make nor is your existence itself meaningful inherently.
>>
>>7678989
God gave man freedom and Adam choose to use his freedom to disobey God by eating of the tree of knowledge of good and evil. Thus because of our freedom we are all born with original sin.

Anxiety, which everyone feels, is the dizziness caused by extraordinary freedom. Freedom to do something, including terrifying and brutal things, trigger immense feelings of dread.
>>
>>7679007
Well there's that, i guess. Its a two credit hour course... Wont fuck up my grade that bad.
>>
>>7678989
>So long story short guys,
fuck you
>>
>>7679034
What?
>>
>>7679026
Thanks, man. Do you mind elaborating the last part a little?
>>
>>7678989

>writing an essay over a quotation

kek
>>
>>7679037
do you even speak english? read it slowly out loud faggot
>>
>>7679062
I'll try. So, without God, and without constructs such as "nation" (fatherland, patriotism) and without even vocation (i am a farmer, this means that i have the traditional values nurtured by an agrarian lifestyle,etc.) because, Sartre (for instance) denied the authenticity of any of these...and *without* such prescribed "eternal" or "given" definitions of a persons character, the only indication of "who" are actions, choices...for instance in this moment, you could continue to browse /lit/, or you could turn away from the computer, leave university forever and become a serial killer...who knows? more to the point, you can complain that you have no choice, you can moan about how poorly the world is because of ecologic destruction, inequalities and the like...you can even bitch about how scary ISIS, you can do all of these things and act like you have no impact, but ultimately you could choose to intervene, you could become involved, radicalized ,etc. I guess i'm straying...the point is most of the time, people surmise their own characters from the roles they have chosen to fill, from their cultural backgrounds and even from watching others live...but none of that makes up who they are...if we were to look at ourselves with an eye to authenticity, actually account for the things we have freely chosen to do, our personal narrative would become richer and probably a lot more depressing, as most of us act like mercenary, opportunistic cowards most of the time.
>>
>>7678989
insert some stemfaggotry from your field that shows the determinism of physical object, or maybe the lack of it on the quantum level, and then continue talking about people. "From outside he sure looks a quantum object but he can decide and once he climbs the diamond stairs to saint peter (hey, you're stem. you are allowed to be christfag.) sure as hell he'll have to answer for all his decissions. Well, maybe there's a quantum saint peter up the quantum stairs for quantum objects but that is a topic for quantum theologists..."
>>
>>7679149
Wow. Now that made sense...
>>
>>7679100
tl;dr. This man has good the air of a teenage philosophy with much greater interest in woah philosophy than listening or reading. And if you want sartre do a STEM style misquote:
"Old Man Jean Paul once said, to be for oneself means not to be for what you are, like a baby, to be a man and man up like a man and do man stuff you like."
>>
>>7679100
Thank you man. Thank you so much. That really helped a lot.
>>
>>7679085
I think he's calling us short
>>
>>7679164
topkek
>>
>>7679161
cool i'm glad i can help. i really enjoyed reading some existentialists back in the day...it really gave some weight to the cynicism of my youth.
>>
>>7678989
You can also explore adjacent themes through fun examples.

Say a man watches a recorded football game. He still cheers and hopes that one team would win over the other, even though he knows perfectly that the result is written in stone. The same with free will: if we lack the capacity to know what is predetermined, does it matter whether it is or is not predetermined?
>>
>>7679034
>>7679164
More specifically, OP seems to be implying some relation between long stories and short guys -- long stories... involve short guys? or: long stories only hold the interest of, short guys, the image being that of everyone else having left? or: are told by (several!) short guys? (implying also, now, that short guys can only tell short stories and that several have to be stitched one after the other to form a long one?) Maybe the rest of the post will shed some light on the matter, I haven't gotten to it yet.
>>
>>7679002

No
>>
Write a shit version that covers all the major points and I'll clean it up for you

Email your garbage to:

[email protected]
>>
>>7680765

That nigger couldn't even see straight, let alone think straight
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.