[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anybody see this in The New York Times? http://www.nytimes.c

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: 0207-BKS-BISSELL-blog427[1].jpg (33KB, 427x630px) Image search: [Google]
0207-BKS-BISSELL-blog427[1].jpg
33KB, 427x630px
Anybody see this in The New York Times?
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/07/books/review/everything-about-everything-david-foster-wallaces-infinite-jest-at-20.html

It's official now: David Foster Wallace is the most important contemporary writer of our time.
>>
>>7650413
I went to my local library, and guess what. It wasn't on the shelf. A check of the catalog and apparently, no version at the library.

They did have Trump's Crippled America though-which I checked out with the qt3.14 at the desk.
>>
why did d f w like clouds so much
>>
is he is so important why is he dead
>>
>>7650424
I think it was because Windows 95 (tm) came out one year before, and the main screen had clouds.
>>
Get famous and die trying
>>
File: 98253.png (160KB, 396x451px) Image search: [Google]
98253.png
160KB, 396x451px
>>7650426
we killed him........
>>
>>7650424
you just made me spray my drink
>>
>>7650424
If you had actually bothered to read the article you would have seen that its author shares his own thoughts on the subject.
>>
>Here is one of the great Wallace innovations: the revelatory power of freakishly thorough noticing, of corralling and controlling detail. Most great prose writers make the real world seem realer — it’s why we read great prose writers. But Wallace does something weirder, something more astounding: Even when you’re not reading him, he trains you to study the real world through the lens of his prose
I empathize with this very much
After IJ I sometimes look at things and think DFW-mode about them, like when a droplet of water stays on a leaf after rain, how it holds on but the friction of the slightly too-smooth surface of the cellular walls is not enough to keep it for much longer, and it slides down ever noticeably, shifting the weight balance of the entire branch and so on and so fort. [increased sweating]. I imagine it would be very exhausting to do this for pages and pages on end like he did
>>
>>7650413
Speaking of this, does anyone know when the 20th anniversary edition is coming out? I want to ask for it for my birthday on the 14th.
>>
>>7650477
Nevermind, found out it comes out on the 23rd :(
>>
>>7650413
Bah! It's Gass who is continuing the literary tradition.
>>
>>7650424
He didn't. Apparently he had some sort of wacky cover idea that only he thought was good so the company forced the cloud shit on him.
>>
>>7650484
Gosh, I would love to know what that idea was.
>>
>>7650423
All my local libraries have all copies perpetually checked out and on a waiting list
>>
>>7650413
>Talmudic focus and devotion

When will Americans stop treating DFW as some sort of prophet?
>>
>>7650491

http://www.themillions.com/2015/12/exclusive-new-fan-designed-cover-of-20th-anniversary-edition-of-infinite-jest-plus-a-brief-interview-with-michael-pietsch.html

>MP: David sometimes made suggestions for cover art. For Infinite Jest he proposed using a photo of a giant modern sculpture made of industrial trash—an interesting idea, but one that our creative director felt was too subtle and detailed to work as a cover image.
>>
the nyt book review has been totally middlebrow for decades
>>
>>7650552
>>7650552
this
>>
>>7650552
Oh, so it offers nothing to the discerning 4chan r/books patröshns? Bloomface degeneracy typicsl women amirite guys meme ;>) and so on
>>
>>7650577
terminal inability to handle the banter: the post
>>
File: 217.jpg (141KB, 586x614px) Image search: [Google]
217.jpg
141KB, 586x614px
>>7650577
are you upset?
>>
>>7650413
But half the people who discuss haven't fead him, they just spout what they heard others say.

It's like a parrot circle jerk.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.