[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In this thread we appreciate the masterwork that is Finnegans

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: index.jpg (10KB, 201x250px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
10KB, 201x250px
In this thread we appreciate the masterwork that is Finnegans Wake.

Babadalgharaghtakamminarronkonbronntonnerontuonnthunntrovarrhounawnskawntoohoohoordenenthurunk.

This is one of the thunderwords which actually depicts the falling of the tower of babel and the division of language.

babadal - stuttering of babel
gharagta - from the hindi for thunder
kamminaronkon - from the japanese for thunder
bronn - from the greek for thunder
tonnerron - from the french for thunder
tuon - from the italian for thunder
thunn - from the english for thunder
trovarr - from the t. alberto barbosa for thunder
hounawnskawn - a combination of the swedish and irish for thunder
toohoohoordenen - a stuttering of the danish for thunder
thurunk - from another irish way to say thunder

As you can see, it is an onomatopoeic word that demonstrates each new language describing the event. It is a celebration of different languages and the pleasure of speech itself.
>>
i was scared to start FW after finishing Ulysses. It felt like he was sucking away my english and replacing it with a new language. I can only imagine FW. this is incredible though.
>>
>>7640270
The fact that the book is a cycle invites you to dip into it wherever you want. It is truly one of those books which enables you to get from it what you can, so to speak.
>>
>>7640276
>The fact that the book is a cycle
Care to elaborate? i know nothing of FW, only actually what the OP said, really excited to read ulysses and then FW
>>
>>7640264
>It is a celebration of different languages and the pleasure of speech itself.

No, it's just edgy pseudo-intellectual onanism.
>>
>t. alberto barbosa
>>
What do other writers think of Finnegans Wake?
>>
>>7640296
That is only what you got from it.
>>7640289
The last sentence of the book connects to the first, but the locations in the book also travel throughout Ireland and back.
>>
Finnegan's
>>
>>7640319
wew lad
>>
Finn, again!
>>
>>7640264

I once stuck my finger in a girls asshole as she came and farted all at the same time.

Guess what it sounded like.

Joyce has the grace of angels and the inspiration of God.
>>
>>7640264

Care to give references for this? Japanese, Swedish and Danish are quite a bit off.
>>
Yeats was the better irish man
>>
>>7640356
Danish for thunder is torden
>>
>>7640356
nips is kaminari
dunno "ronkon"
>>
File: thunderwords.png (446KB, 7724x961px) Image search: [Google]
thunderwords.png
446KB, 7724x961px
I'll just leave this here.
>>
File: rejection-1.jpg (119KB, 350x515px) Image search: [Google]
rejection-1.jpg
119KB, 350x515px
>>7640264
> puns

lowest form of literature
>>
>Grom
>implying Slavs don't have the best word for thunder
>>
>>7640264
The point is that thunder fucking clapped. Why use several different languages?
>>
>>7640318
Aha, i was considering doing something similar with my book
>>
Fin. Again!
>>
>>7640832
Joyce was attempting to construct a language of the subconscious with Finnegans Wake as opposed to his stream of consciousness in Ulysses. Dreams can involve symbols, images, and messages that seem to mean many things at once depending on how they're read. That's the way Finnegans Wake is supposed to read.
>>
Eliot uses a similar trick in the waste land
>>
https://youtu.be/JtOQi7xspRc
>>
One of the best 'openings' ever, honestly.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.