[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it essential to read some Russell and Frege before jumping

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 1453341669077.jpg (182KB, 999x1395px) Image search: [Google]
1453341669077.jpg
182KB, 999x1395px
Is it essential to read some Russell and Frege before jumping in Tractatus ?

If yes, which works I should read of those two
>>
You should read your trash day schedule t-b-h
>>
What do you think you'll get out of reading the Tractatus? Are you interested in meta-logic? No? Then you might as well pass it over.
>>
>>7621532
1. No.
1.1. The Tractatus is easily readable once you understand the format.
2. If I was a betting man I'd say Russell because he's more readable and he famously corrected/undermined Frege.
>>
>>7621961
russel is faggot
witty obliterated him lmfao lol
fukin
read wittgensein you moron hehe
>>
>>7621532
Wittgenstein was autistic so tractatus is pretty much self-sufficient. Together with PI it will break analytic philosophy and you can go on to reading poetry or something instead.
>>
Where can I find the tractacus online?
It's pretty short innit?
>>
>>7623285
Ýou'll find it in a google.
>>
>>7623289
Can you Google it for me?
>>
>>7623290
I did. Found a bunch of pdfs.
>>
Reading a short intro to formal logic from a modern cleared up perspective will helps clarify the messed up math when Witty uses it in the tractatus. It's a lengthy detour, but otherwise you'll try to understand formal logic from a guy born in the period where it manifested itself. People had 80 years to clean up Gödel et al., make use of that.
>>
>>7623295
thanks senpai
>>
>>7623285
Buzzfeed
>>
Read

Reading Wittgenstein by Ray Monk

Then, if you liked it, read Wittgenstein: The Duty Of Genius by Monk. From there you'll know what to read.
>>
You won't understand Tractatus because it has many obscure references to Principia Mathematica (type theory) and Frege's writings. You have to understand that Wittgenstein had studied logic-of-its-time for many years and you haven't. To go further: you wouldn't even understand Aristotle's Organon on the first read, for the same reasons--despite its less-complex subject matter compared to Tractatus.

To truly understand Tractatus you need a mix of logic-knowledge, logic-history (formal language theory and metatheory at the time were in their infancy and only developing), and philosophy-knowledge (metaphysics e.g.). So, >>7623297 got it, but not the whole of it.
>>
>>7623297
yes yes yes !!!
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.