[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

shitty memes aside, where do I even start with this guy? He's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

File: slavoj-zizek1.jpg (22KB, 255x364px) Image search: [Google]
slavoj-zizek1.jpg
22KB, 255x364px
shitty memes aside, where do I even start with this guy? He's written like 50 books. What are his most important ones?
>>
>>7603528
Sublime Object of Ideology
>>
>>7603528
Save yourself the time and read something worthwhile instead.
>>
>>7603585
Don't tell me what to do, you piece of shit
>>
File: 41dTDaYLoCL._BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (20KB, 201x302px) Image search: [Google]
41dTDaYLoCL._BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
20KB, 201x302px
>>7603528
titled "The Essential Zizek"
>>
>>7603528

He is not an important figure in ANY field.

Even his film criticism is shit.
>>
>>7604561
Deleuze's film theory is way better
>>
>>7603528

Start with brushing up on your Freud and Marx. Then read How to Read Lacan, which is a pretty accessible intro to Zizek's thoughts about Lacan (actually reading Lacan won't get you anywhere). After that, or during, watch his movies. Then just read whatever looks interesting to you.
>>
>>7604580

obvs
>>
>>7604580
that's like saying Joyce was a better writer than JK Rowling
>>
Some of his books he wrote for an academic, philosophical audience.
The main 4 would be here >>7604558

There are some more geared towards a lay-audience (like /lit/). I have a copy of First As Tragedy, Then As Farce because I hear that's one of them.
>>
>>7603528
>putting shitty memes aside
>reading zizek
pick one
>>
sublime ideology
and parallax view

everything else is just application of method
>>
*sniff*
>>
>>7603528
Demanding the Impossible is a great introductory text as it's basically an interview and you can get a handle on Zizeks views.

Then read 'Violence'. From there you can probably pick for yourself
>>
>>7603528
>shitty memes aside
You realise that even without the memes, it's almost impossible to take him seriously?
>>
>>7605288
Not op but I'm interested. Care to explain why? Memes aside of course.
>>
>>7605316
he's not right-wing

leftists are mentally ill
>>
>>7605332
>no memes
Oh /lit/, why do you have to be so dumb?
>>
>>7605342
take the redpill, brainwashed moron
>>
File: IMG-20160116-WA0004.jpg (47KB, 809x554px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160116-WA0004.jpg
47KB, 809x554px
>>7605344
Give me an argument backing your answers and I'll consider it. Thing is, you don't have one and I see why you limit yourself to mindlessly repeat what you read.
Prove me wrong.
>>
>>7605316
He is so detached from reality and lost in abstraction that you might as well be reading a religious text.
>>
>>7605332

He's not a leftist either you drangus
>>
>>7603528
If you don't know where to start with any given author, my advice would be reading their works in release order.
>>
How to read Lacan
Youtube videos
The Ticklish Object

In that order
>>
File: 1388290956092.jpg (74KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
1388290956092.jpg
74KB, 240x240px
>Decide to read Desert of the Real
>Halfway through
>He compares American ideology to the Matrix,
>Citing the farms of human that exist to power the Matrix
>power the Matrix
>tfw that's not how it goes in the movie
Fucking dropped. He can't even pull from pop-culture without fucking it up before he even gets to his point.

Seriously though, some of his ideas are well-formed. He makes some points. Others are lost in his self-absorbed writing. He makes loads of assumptions about the ideologies he criticizes. At least he's got wit.

Meme material and not much more.
>>
>>7607077
>Fucking dropped. He can't even pull from pop-culture without fucking it up before he even gets to his point.
He once quoted from the Elder Scrolls and sourced the wrong video game.
>>
>>7604580
Zizek doesn't have a film theory. He has a critique of ideology which he employs in interpreting film.
>>
>>7607077
zizek basically just doesn't care
that you care about him getting the pop-culture "right" just shows you're a massive faggot
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.