[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I a plebe if, after three-and-a-half books, I don't fully

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: vladimir-nabokov.jpg (88KB, 620x388px) Image search: [Google]
vladimir-nabokov.jpg
88KB, 620x388px
Am I a plebe if, after three-and-a-half books, I don't fully appreciate Nabakov's prose style and prefer stuff like Hemmmingway?

Currently reading Ada. I don't dislike, but I'm not in love. The only Nabakov I've read that I've also loved has been The Eye (and that one wasn't originally written in English).

after several years to mull over it, I prefer Hemingway's style of prose over Nabakov's?
>>
What are the other two you read? And, if applicable, in Russian or in English?
>>
>>7572147
Lolita and Pale Fire, both in English. I liked Lolita but wouldn't put it in my favorites. Pale File was dense and I was reading it amidst the chaos of visiting family at home and I feel I need to read it again.
>>
It's called having a preference.

Rid yourself of this non-existent pleb and patrician dichotomy and just enjoy reading literature. Maybe your appreciation of Nabakov will come in time, maybe it won't. It doesn't matter, Hemingway is still good. Even if he wasn't, it doesn't matter.
>>
File: 1450687949645.jpg (39KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1450687949645.jpg
39KB, 500x500px
>>7572165
Actually, scratch that, I really liked Lolita. I've reread portions of it on a whim. I look forward to reading it in full again.

Ada doesn't get me the same way.
>>
>>7572171
>non-existent pleb and patrician dichotomy and just enjoy reading literature
I don't believe in such nonsense. That's some everybody-wins type of advice right thar.
>>
>>7572172
do you like lolita for the plot/subject matter/themes/etc. or for the prose style?

pale fire is very metatextual and requires a lot of effort/careful study to get the most out of it (or you can "cheat" and look some stuff up)

maybe try stuff like luzhin defense or invitation to a beheading if you find yourself enjoying the russian stuff.

you don't have to like it but the fact that you're not immediately dismissive and gave it/are giving it an honest effort already puts you into patrician status and above most of /lit/
>>
>>7572182
>reading for plot
Just kidding, I'd say it's half-and-half. Being a pervert, of course I enjoyed the plot. I actually thought it was pretty ingenious how we eventually feel what a mess Humbert has made out of everything. What makes me come back to it most definitely is the prose.
>The simple prologue, "no ghosts walk," etc. and the sneaky reference to Dolores right away
>The conversation with Quilty on the porch
>Pretty much anytime Hum is waking poetic on nymphets

I think I might like to try some more of his Russian stuff, even though muh translations (though I know Nabokov himself translated many of them himself, right? The Eye was translated by his son).

>already puts you into patrician status and above most of /lit/
Fuck yeah.
>>
>>7572177
>>>r/redpill
>>
>>7572201
r/books
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.